[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /ck/ think of slow cookers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: 71mvruT5elL._SL1500_.jpg (158 KB, 1500x1072) Image search: [Google]
71mvruT5elL._SL1500_.jpg
158 KB, 1500x1072
What does /ck/ think of slow cookers?
>>
>>7528282
I read it's bad but I don't remember why.
>>
I think they're great and they suit my lifestyle.
>>
>>7528282
>slow cookers
I believe they need to get hopping.
>>
>>7528282
Also slow cooker recipes thread I guess.
>>
>>7528294
This one is a cracker Whitney.

http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/13973/spicy-southern-man-stew-for-scarfies.aspx
>>
>>7528296
Thanks a lot Kevin.
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 580x580) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 580x580
Getting interested in this slow/pressure combo. Anyone try? Does it justify the price?
>>
>>7528282
>slow cooker

salsa chicken
>>
Meme. Just use a pot and low heat.
>>
>>7528564
I have a really shitty gas oven at the place I currently reside in, Marjorie.

It's far more convenient to use a slow cooker for stews and whatnot than trying to fine tune a stovetop that could not have cost my landlord more than $400.
>>
>>7528564
Fucking lol you idiot
I can't leave my gas range on for 7 hours while I'm at work to cook pulled pork
Stop being a contrarian fuck
>>
>>7528282
fucking awful. everything turns to mealy slush.
>>
>>7528282
They're great.
>stews
>chili
>fall apart meats with deep flavors
>pulled pork
>jerk chicken
>shredded beef
>mutton
>anything drowned in bbq sauce
And you can cook all types of food.
>traditional American home cooking
>Cajun (jambalaya/gumbo/etc)
>Indian
>excellent filler for tacos/enchiladas/tamales
>>
I'm in a small apartment and work long shifts. Mine is a godsend. Pulled pork for a week, just rub that shit down and throw it in, when I get home I have an awesome smelling apartment and a hot meal waiting for me.
>>
Bump for recipes
>>
File: PhotoGrid_1459603306447.jpg (1 MB, 2560x2560) Image search: [Google]
PhotoGrid_1459603306447.jpg
1 MB, 2560x2560
Which do you prefer /ck/?
>>
>>7530842
are you asking whether I prefer a pressure cooker or a slow cooker?

it's like saying do I prefer beer or wine, why does /ck/ love pitting non-equivalent things against one another and pretending only one may exist?
>>
>>7530885
I'm buying one and curious which is a good one to primarily use. I have a small kitchen and no room for both atm
>>
>>7529216
>cooking pork in a slowcooker for pulled pork
>not smoking it
>>
>>7530893
buy the pressure cooker and do your slow cooking on a stovetop with a dutch oven or a decent stock pot

or if you really want to be space-frugal, get a stovetop pressure cooker and use a universal lid when you don't want it in pressure cooker mode
>>
>>7528337
My cousin has one, she likes it but her fiance says it's a gimmick.
>>
What the actual fuck is going on here
>>
>>7530896
Is there an electronic pressure cooker you recommend? Or is the power cooker xl a good one?
>>
they're alright for soup and chili and sauces and beans and such.

I personally find they water down the flavor of roasts. I've never liked slow cooker chicken, ham or beef as much as I like them conventionally cooked. But still, being able to set it and forget while I go to work is a great convenience
>>
>>7528282

Pleasantly surprised to see that fag who always just says "Not a hell of a whole lot" hasn't replied.
>>
Here's some of my non pulled pork slow cooker recipes. Any others would be appreciated, I'm trying to find more uses than pulled pork and beef stew. Also they are not v specific I wrote them as personal reminders, but throw it all in and you'll be fine:

Slow cooker chicken breast, oregano, vegetable stock, lemon slices, lemon juice, parsley, garlic, thyme, rosemary.

Slow cooker beef curry, beef chunks, Indian spices, Marsala sauces, coconut milk, yoghurt, tinned tomatoes.

Slow cooker chicken with hoisin, honey, soy sauce, spring onion, sesame oil/seeds, chilli, ginger.

Slow cooker pork with pineapple juice, apple cider vinegar, chilli, soy, tomato, Worcestershire, ginger.

Slow cooker chicken breasts, onion, mushroom, stock, cream of mushroom soup, white wine, lots of paprika, mustard powder, taco seasoning.
>>
>>7531423
Thank you.
>>
>>7531423

Using chicken breast for a braised dish is silly. Use leg meat instead. Cheaper, tastier, and a better texture in a braise.
>>
Not a hell of a whole lot
>>
>>7531423
>Marsala sauces
What?
>>
>>7531553

He probably meant Masala, not Marsala.
>>
>>7531598
Yeah
>>
>>7530842
Isn't that a rice cooker on top? Not fallin for your b8 m8
>>
>>7532061
That's the power cooker xl

Pressure cooker
>>
Good for Mississippi roasts
>>
I've heard they are good for Italian ragu
>>
pretty gay imo. just use them for making soup stocks from fish/chicken scraps/bones. if i want extremely tender meat i'll get something like a half-shoulder of lamb and just simmer it for 2-3hrs with loads of onions and garlic.
they're quite good for extremely tough meats like cheap af beef, but you have to time the cooking right or the meat will lose all it's fat and be like eating cardboard.
>>
Isn't a slow cooker just a Dutch oven with a heating element?
>>
slow cookers are pathetic in comparison to the pressure cooker mr
>>
>>7528282
Not a hell of a whole lot.
>>
>not owning a rice cooking slow cooking god machine
>>
I have both pressure cooker and a slow cooker and they are both good in their own way.

If I'm going to work and I know it's going to be a long day it's nice to know that a slow cooker is at home cooking your dinner, when you walk in the door and your house smells awesome it's a good feel.

I think I can get some better flavour with a pressure cooker and I can make a pretty good stew in about 40 mins.

Pressure cooker isn't that great on really tough cuts like lamb shanks, for that you really need the low and slow cooking that slow cooker provides.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.