[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who else fell for the sourdough meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
Who else fell for the sourdough meme?
>>
my first homemade sourdough was technically a failure. it was nothing like commercial/bakery sourdough.

it didn't leaven right. it wasn't kneaded right.

it had this really hard and dense puddy-like consistency.

and it was SOUR as fuck. just so incredibly strong tasting.

but for some reason i immensely enjoyed it. i love that sour taste.
>>
>>7527956
I'm ashamed to say I fell for the food meme. I've been eating food every day like a big meme loving fool. I've now seen the light and am going full ana.
>>
File: 034.jpg (1 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
034.jpg
1 MB, 1944x2592
I did. But my levain isn't sour at all when it's fed often enough. I really enjoy making wild yeast bread.

this is a crumb shot of my rustic mini baguettes, leavened entirely with wild yeast that was probably growing on my balls or something, who knows

shaping dictates the finished crumb structure, I can get a loaf that's mostly air with massive holes or something with a tighter structure like a traditional baguette depending on how aggressive I am when shaping. this is somewhere in the middle. 75% hydration, 2.3% salt
>>
whens this meme gonna die
>>
>>7527989
How get your wild yeast?
>>
>>7528025
I put up a pedestal and warship it, forbidden to lay eyes on it's apex. after several generations, of giving it offerings of various food, at the base of the pedestal, I'm Jewish and love bagels.
>>
>>7527962
That happened to me as well, it was my very first sourdough loaf. I think it was also overproofed, it barely rose in the oven. I am going to try again tomorrow, any advice?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (42 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
42 KB, 1280x720
>>7528025
your mums vagina
>>
>>7528025
I work at a brewery.
Shit is heavily in the air.

>>7528045
Follow a recipe.
>>
>>7528055
I did not wing my first attempt at bread anon. I followed a recipe and since it did not turn out as expected I assume there is more to it, that I missed.
>>
>>7528065
recipes for bread are shit, formulas and paying attention are good

you actually have realize what is happening with bread, you can't follow a recipe blindly like with some other baked goods. temperature affects things enough that you can't really follow any guideline, you have to observe what is happening and react accordingly
>>
>>7527968
I dropped food and became a breatharian. It's very refreshing.
>>
>>7527962
>and it was SOUR as fuck

if you like it less sour you need to feed it more often.

the sourness is because of the acid made by lactobacillus that only really starts breeding when the yeast in the levain has already ran out of food.
>>
>>7527989
>shaping affects crumb structure
Does it really impact it that much? Unless you're including kneading, my shaping has always been pretty minimal--just turn it a bit to make a rough boule.
>>
>>7528045
>That happened to me as well, it was my very first sourdough loaf. I think it was also overproofed, it barely rose in the oven. I am going to try again tomorrow, any advice?

tent it with aluminum foil and put it in while the oven is pre-heating. I also add some ice cubes to a tray on the bottom rack.
>>
>>7527956
i did... made 3 loaves, two were no-knead and failed horribly because they just didnt rise enough. the other was ok but i didn't think it was sour enough.
>>
I decided to make a whole wheat starter so I can take it out every month or so to bame two sacks of flour into boules to eat with my hummus. After a week of feeding, it's still only as bubbly as a half-done pancake. Am I going to need to add yeast?
>>
>>7528366
Post pics. You should be feeding daily to start with, and pouring out any clear liquid on top when you do so. Also, if it's just a little too watery the bubbles may not be sticking around long enough for you to see them. That doesn't really negatively affect the starter though.
>>
>>7528055
>>7528025
Is it? Everything I've heard says brewers yeast absolutely outperforms wild yeast, starving it out. I'd expect you'd find whatever yeast is strongest floating around.

Best places I know to find yeast is living on wild fruits. I know people have captured yeast by just putting a jar outside.
>>
And how exactly do you properly do a starter?
>>
>>7528593
http://www.oldjimbo.com/Outdoors-Magazine/Sourdough-Blackberry-Bannock-12.pdf
>>
>>7528352
But these are suggestions for a thin crust. How would it help?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.