[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /ck/, I need some coffee help. I am trying to make some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_20160331_233046.jpg (2 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160331_233046.jpg
2 MB, 3024x4032
Hey /ck/, I need some coffee help.

I am trying to make some cold brew as it costs about $3 at a coffee shop and $1.50 at the grocery, and I drink coffee every morning, so this adds up to a lot.

I made 2 batches of my cold brew, but both times it turned up pretty shit. I used the coarsest grind for my beans, and brewed the first for 12 hours and the second for 24. I filtered the first with just a cheese cloth and the second with a french press and a cheese cloth. However, both times I made it the viscosity of the drink was horrible and had a mulchy feel. There was still tiny grounds in the coffee despite me grinding it coarsely.It left a film of grounds in all the cups I used. How do I not suck at this?

TL;DR How do I make good cold brew?

Pic Related, it's the film of grounds left in my cup from my cold brew
>>
File: 1420243193911.jpg (225 KB, 583x414) Image search: [Google]
1420243193911.jpg
225 KB, 583x414
Bump
>>
you are using a grinder with burrs, not spinning blades, right?
>>
>>7527409
Yeah, it's a burr grinder
>>
>>7527416
hmm. buy some beans somewhere else and get them ground at a store. I think your problem is either bean or grind related. my money is on the grind. is this a good burr grinder?
>>
>>7527423
actually after re reading your post I think you need to run it through a paper filter
>>
>>7527354
How do you retards not understand that you simply don't drink the silt?
>>
>>7527429
It's a lot of silt. The whole consistency is off. I've had cold brew before and it doesn't have the same problem
>>
>>7527354
Yeah, try an actual paper filter, that's what I do. It'll probably take a while by comparison but it should leave you no silt.
>>
>>7527423
I think it's a good burr grinder. This is what it is http://www.amazon.com/KRUPS-Grinder-Selection-Stainless-Conical/dp/B0001I9R8W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459484242&sr=8-1&keywords=krups+burr+grinder+gvx2
>>
>>7527354
I don't know man, but when I was cold brewing 10yrs ago never had this problem. I bought a kit, had a white bucket and a glass container. The bucket had a cotton round filter at the bottom and a cork below it you removed and let the brew leak into the glass container. The only problem I had with fine grind beans was they slowly leaked the brewed coffee out through the cotton filter, took much longer or clogged the whole thing up. Maybe you're better off buying a kit.
>>
File: tips fidora.gif (888 KB, 300x278) Image search: [Google]
tips fidora.gif
888 KB, 300x278
Thanks for the advice so far everyone.
>>
>>7527453
Just found the kit, it's under $40 and comes with:

Brewing Container with Handle
Glass Decanter with Lid
2 Reusable Cold Brew Coffee Maker Filters
Rubber Stopper

I remember the filters were re-usable, washed them off well and then dried them up and they last quite a bit.
>>
>>7527436
Are you agitating your cup? Because even if there's a good teaspoon of silt, it usually settles and you can just ignore the last sip
>>
>>7527354
12 hours is too short imo.
You could filter it through a sieve with a kitchen towel in it as a last step. This will take a while though.
>>
>>7527442
That's a god awful burr grinder. Equally bad to a blade grinder.
>>
Go to Seattle. Order some at a local cafe.

Done
>>
>>7528209
Ah okay. Care to elaborate? Im not familiar with what makes s good burr grinder. This was a present from a family member, so I didn't do any research into it myself.
>>
>>7527464
Yeah, I'll agitate the cup and let it rest for a bit for the silt to settle and it's still there. That's why I'm saying it's really off. It's not just a little silt. There's so much that it's ubiquitously present.
>>
>>7527463
Could you please give a name or link?
>>
>>7528315
Cheapest good electric one is the Baratza Encore for $130. Cheapest good hand one is the Anonymous Grinder for like $70, but it's very difficult to actually get.
>>
>>7527354
when i made it i used an old tshirt, and ran it through twice
>>
Buy paper filters. There's a guy on YouTube who used kitchen tissue and that worked too.
>>7528460
Hario skerton costs fuck all and is properly good.
>>
>>7528464
Filtering your coffee something full of dirt, human sweat and washing detergents. Nice.
>>
>>7528469
Yeah I'm looking into that. Apparently buying that grinder + the lower bearing upgrade makes it great for french press.

>>7528460

The anonymous one looks good, but like you said, it is hard to find and I think the Hario Skerton grinder with the upgrade will be good for me
>>
>>7528486
I have it but never heard of the bearing replacement. Sounds cool I'll look into it.
>>
>>7528491
Here's the replacement on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Horse-Products-KI-100-Skerton/dp/B012HDKKQ6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=A148DDJ76LTUYR

Apparently it's not completely necessary, but some reviews said if you're picky about grinds in your french press, it's the way to go.
>>
>>7528469
>>7528486
The skerton is complete shit. The burrs are mediocre at best, the alignment is nothing short of awful, and the stabilization is nonexistent. Even with the bearing mod it's a worthless grinder.

Your best bet under the price of an anonymous is a vintage box mill grinder like a Zassenhaus. But you should really inspect it in person first to be sure the burrs are in decent shape and well aligned.
>>
>>7528569
Zassenhaus is still pricey, but much easier to find. I see a lot online, but not any stores that sell any nearby. Where you recommend buying one in person?
>>
>>7528653
Don't buy a new Zassenhaus. The new ones aren't any good and not properly stabilized.

Look for a vintage box mill on ebay or even a flea market.
>>
>>7528318
Toddy Cold Brew, there's a commercial version and a home, don't get confused.
>>
File: I must go my people need me.gif (967 KB, 500x260) Image search: [Google]
I must go my people need me.gif
967 KB, 500x260
>>7529242
>>7529275

Thanks for help guys
>>
use a much finer grind. espresso grind is good bit any drip level grind will fix your issues

I know all the blogs talk about coarse grind but its bullshit. finer rather than coarser.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.