[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
On the word "hooch"...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1
File: fly me to the moon.jpg (138 KB, 1310x829) Image search: [Google]
fly me to the moon.jpg
138 KB, 1310x829
I said "hooch" in front of a friend today and he legitimately didn't know what it meant. I instantly thought of that /ck/ thread a few months ago. So tell me, do you ever refer to alcohol as "hooch"?
>>
>>7526771

yeah i occasionally use the word
>>
>>7526771

>do you ever refer to alcohol as "hooch"

Only if I distilled it myself, at home.
>>
>>7526771
No, I don't live in the 1920s.
>>
Yeah, I remember that thread. I also remember a thread a couple of days ago where someone used a very common word and some guy was like "oh wow I just learned a new word THANKS /CK/"

Most of us read at a 3rd grade level, don't ever forget that.
>>
>>7526798
>5th grade

Fixed that for you.
>>
I do, and everyone knows what I'm talking about, too. I'm 22.
>>
>>7526798
I remember in high school I tutored at this non-profit that tutored low income Hispanic kids.

They were all 4-6th grades and half of them were capable. The others were shitshows. There was a 13 year old in sixth grade who could barely read at a first grade level. He couldn't even read Captain Underpants. I'd feel bad for him, but he was a punkass bitch that tried to act like a gang member.
>>
No, besides that last thread I am only vaguely aware of ever having heard of the term
>>
>>7526798
I wouldn't quite equate the usage of antiquated words with having a large vocabulary
>>
>>7526771
Yes, I know what the word means because I'm not retarded. No, I don't regularly use the word, because it connotates some kind of legal grey area, whereas booze has replaced it as a household term.
>>
>>7526872
Most people recognize many more words than they actually use on a daily basis.

Then again some of us don't. For some of us, moving our lips as we read is normal, and anyone who pretends not to is just putting on airs.
>>
>>7526888
generally when youth are taught vocabulary it focuses on obscure words, but not old timey slang words
>>
>>7526899
I don't know what you mean by "generally", "youth", or what curriculum you are describing. I don't think I was ever explicitly taught "vocabulary" since 2nd or 3rd grade, aside from foreign language classes, science vocabulary, and that sort of thing. Beyond early grade school, it was assumed that in whatever written material we were exposed to, if there was an unknown word, the student looked it up himself. Thus exposing us to a wide variety of words including but certainly not limited to common old timey slang words like "hooch", "ragamuffin", and so on.

So, like I said. Reading at a third grade level.
>>
>>7526944
>I don't think I was ever explicitly taught "vocabulary" since 2nd or 3rd grade
I feel like we had 'spelling' class through about 5th grade and maybe as a wedkly subunit in English in middle school where it was just as much a vocabulary class as it was about spelling
>>
>>7526944
The fuck is ragamuffin?
>>
Do none of you bake sourdough?
>>
>>7526968
You were probably in a disadvantaged community.
>>7526973
2/10
>>
>>7526973
Not him, but you seriously need to expand your vocabulary. You should at least know what most words have connotations of if not knowing the literal definition. If not just to be a more well-rounded person, you can also develop your wit.
>>
>>7526944
>ragamuffin

I actually had to google that.
>>
>>7526980
>You were probably in a disadvantaged community.
like 98.5% white and pretty affluent
>>
>>7526982
No one has fucking heard the term ragamuffin. I had a notion of what Hooch was, but no fucking clue what ragamuffin is
>>
>>7526989
>98.5% white
Yeah that's what I meant

The high school I went to was 60% asian

Only like 3 people in my graduating class of several hundred students didn't go to college
>>
>>7527031
>The high school I went to was 60% asian
um, did you grow up in Asia?
What the fuck city in america is 60% asian?
>>
>>7526993
I've heard of and know the connotations of both terms. I have no formal college education, work construction, and live in my parents' basement drinking beer. You have no excuse. Maybe you should interact with more people and/or cultures?
>>
>>7527038
A nice one
>>
>>7527031
>Only like 3 people in my graduating class of several hundred students didn't go to college
Pretty much the same for me, of our 300 people 2 or 3 didn't go to college
We had 2 black people (1 adopted by white parents, 1 who commuted from the nearest inner city), a small handful of asians with white parents and one half asian. One half muslim, and like 3.5 jews
>>
>>7527052
Yeah our token black kid was valedictorian and went to Harvard.

We had a number of hispanics though, they were hard working but ultimately not as accomplished. Could be that they all had part time jobs to pay for books and tuition (I forgot to mention, private school). Overall they had a strong preference for catholic universities, Georgetown and so on.
>>
>>7527044
This is not a term many educated or uneducated english speakers are aware of
>>
>>7527063
yeah, my school was public because my parents decide to live in a nice place where private schools were entirely unnecessary
>>
>>7527071
>my parents decide [sic] to live in a nice place where private schools were entirely unnecessary
The public high school was very well funded and had "nice place" students

The thing is, rich kids are not necessarily academically inclined kids
>>
>>7527064
No, but anyone with a sense of culture would. And I use that term loosely. Hell, I'd bet you'd know them if you watched enough Bugs Bunny as a kid.
>>
>>7527081
Are you being serous though? This is a term you use or at least hear people around you use somewhat regularly?
>>
>>7527080
where I grew up wasn't so much rich as it was completely without poor people. Mostly middle and upper middle class with a handful of rich people.
>>
>>7527085
He's just pulling your leg
>>7527091
My home city was more like upper middle class and rich, although we had "poor" people who were really just eccentric rich people with inexplicable liquidity problems.

But my high school (the private school) was in a different city, attracting students from all around. Some of my classmates had 2 hour commutes each way, although for me it was only about 40 minutes.
>>
>>7527114
>>7527085
Oh wait I thought you were asking if the guy was serious for not knowing what "ragamuffin" meant. I'm pretty sure that guy is just fucking around.
>>
Millennial yuropoor here
Yes
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.