[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starting my new job as a prep cook
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1
File: prepping.jpg (18 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
prepping.jpg
18 KB, 400x267
What should I expect.
>>
>>7526653
shitty hours, relatively small pay, not liking cooking anymore
>>
its a good thing I have almost no hours lol
>>
>>7526653
Horrible hours, angry coworkers, angry management, lots of drugs.
>>
Blisters on your hand and feet, and generally being treated like a bitch.
>>
>>7526678
WHERE THE FUCK IS THE STEAK FOR TABLE 4? I DON'T FUCKING CARE JUST GET IT OUT RIGHT FUCKING NOW!
>>
Lol its not a really conservative place. It seems they make one or two main dishes as its their specialty. I met the owners..they both work in the kitchen...I was told I would mainly be peeling and prepping some ingredients.
>>
>>7526693

>prep cook
>>
>>7526722
WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE ONIONS FOR TABLE 4? I DON'T FUCKING CARE GET THEM OUT RIGHT FUCKING NOW?
>>
>>7526732
my old boss used to say shit like this and other clueless answerless questions...shit man..guy would ask me shit I would have no idea about.
>>
>>7526741

That's how expo works.

Most of the time it's just whipping the horse to keep it moving without any particular reason.
>>
>What should I expect.
Potatoes and onions.
Lots of them.

t. former prep cook
>>
>>7526781
MY FUCKING FAVORITE
>>
>>7526785

You're really annoying.
>>
Can someone explain to me though...Since I will be prepping during service how will things work. As I said its a specialty place and they only make a couple of things.. basically I was told I would just be peeling and cutting potatoes and other small things for the cooks..but they mentioned nothing about salads or other small things....would I just be prepping ingredients for the cooks to use in the future or for the night shift?
>>
>>7526789
I just want to be accepted for my love of onions and potatoes
>>
>>7526800

Nope. You have 15 pounds of squid to clean before you shred two 6 pans worth of carrots on the mandolin. The mandolin is kind of old, so be careful.
>>
>>7526807
I also like squid.
>>
>>7526793
Most prep cooks are basically in charge of doing the mise en place. In short, making everything ready to be cooked and/or put together by the cooks.

It varies from place to place, but the guys who make salads to be served are usually garde-manger, a special type of cook.
>>
>>7526821
AHH. I was wondering after I left the interview. I'm not so worried
>>
>>7526821

Where I work the prep cooks have specific items that they do. Morning line cooks get lists for the day, but are also in charge of restocking most of their station.

It definitely varies from place to place, but in general a prep cook just follows a list and does bulk grunt work. It's basically the most stoner friendly job in the kitchen. Less pay than working the line with almost none of the stress.
>>
>>7526653

Whats your wage?
>>
>>7526861
not enough basically sums that up. I REALLY only took the job because its just a few hours a day and I can work a few jobs at a time so yeah.
>>
>>7526793
first of all managers lie. they will tell you that to get you i the door, thinking its easy work. but basically, you are the bitch. you ensure that all the cooks have the ingredients they need to get food out on time. it may sound that simple and may actually be that simple, but its more work than it sounds. you may be peeling carrots and potatoes for hours. cutting lettuce for those salads. making dressings, in large batches, etc. but if you keep youre mind occupied you can pass many hours doing tedious work, and not having to sweat as much as the cooks.
>>
>>7526901
I don't think you read what I wrote previously. No salad.. The place only makes like a few items anyways. Its more of a shop with a kitchen. Also I spoke to the owners..who run and work in the kitchen. It seemed pretty laid back..they even said not to worry when people get heated and whatnot
>>
>>7526653
Lots of that pic, just add some speed blur and your there.
>>
>>7526916
sorry, i kind of went off on a tangent. id say take the ob, man. ive been prepping for almost 10 years now, probably most chill job in a kitchen. lots of hours, not muchc pressure. unless the prepper from yesterday didnt do shit and you need a bunch of stuff to open.
>>
>>7526929
*take the job
>>
>>7526929
thats another thing about prepping, once you get to know the flow of the restaurant, you can kinda guess what you need to do with a single glance at the walk-in. and even kind of make your own list for the next day by doing extra stuff the day before.
>>
peeling potatos for 6 hours a day 2 days a week and trying to not kill yourself while your manager yells at you.
>>
Your going to be one of those magical mexicans that make my potatos and carrots come peeled, my cheese shredded, my products defrosted, and my lettuce washed. Sometimes cans even open themselves. Amazing!
>>
>>7526929
How have you failed so bad as to remain a prep cook for that long? I went from dunking chicken wings at a chain restraunt to becoming a sous chef at a club in that time and I was blazed pretty much all the time,
>>
>>7527267

Shit, I'm stuck with Guatemalans that are nice as fuck people, but need to get yelled at for half of that shit to get done.
>>
>>7527302
LMAO totally this. Apparently one day one of the girls I work with was telling me how all the Guatemalans were talking about me...so I was like what do you mean and she was like oh they were saying how you guys are all like the best of friends and talk about life all day lmao...I love those guys
>>
>>7527319

I spent probably 6 months opening with just one other guy on the line and a dish/prep kid, who were both Guatemalan.

The line cook guy had probably been at the restaurant longer than anyone but was still illegal, while the dish/prep kid just got citizenship but could barely speak a word of English and usually needed to go through the other guy to translate.

The line cook was super friendly and always wanted to show me "the right way" to do things - because he was arrogant as fuck - but he'd always blast some mariachi type shit at 8 in the morning when I was hungover as fuck, and he'd sing along as he danced around the kitchen.

They both gave me surprise hugs when I let them know I was leaving, which was honestly really sincere and nice.

Of all the shit jobs I've worked and hope to never need to put on my resume, Guatemalans and Cambodians and the nicest fucking people I've ever encountered.
>>
>>7526781
I would actually be happy if i was just cuting onions and potatoes for a good salary.

Also i am quite good and fast at it.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.