[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much flavor does one bay leaf really add? Are they just a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: 1001029_052100006987_A_400[1].jpg (31 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1001029_052100006987_A_400[1].jpg
31 KB, 400x400
How much flavor does one bay leaf really add? Are they just a meme?
>>
Lots of aroma

No
>>
>>7526463
Eat one and find out.
>>
File: quilava.png (11 KB, 219x270) Image search: [Google]
quilava.png
11 KB, 219x270
i'd go with pic related if i were you
>>
>dried bay leaves
>not fresh
>>
>>7526463
A bay leaf gives a dish some hint of vague floral/earthy "homey-ness" to a dish.

It makes something taste like it was made with love, rather than just opening up a couple cans and combining the ingredients.
>>
>>7526463
Like salt, there's not enough until there's too much. Just find that sweet spot.
>>
I've added bay leaves into dishes that have a lot of other melding flavors such as stews or crock pot meals. I've also added them to british baked beans which gives them good flavor.

Do you decide something is a meme solely on the basis that you don't know how to use them?
>>
>>7526591
"bay leaves are a meme" is a meme.
>>
one leaf = level 6 umami
>>
>>7526657
>umami
in b4 the "just call it savory, weeb" flamewar

Anyway, I always wondered this too. I've used them in dishes before and never noticed any difference. And I'm talking fists full of the damn things. Not saying the flavor's not there, but I sure as shit haven't noticed it.
>>
>>7526463
So you're saying you don't "bay-leaf" the hype?
>>
>>7526696
We haven't got thyme for this shit.
>>
>>7526605

bo, it's really not

you dumb pieces of shit really need to familiarize yourself with the definition of "meme"
>>
it's like nutmeg imo.

just a tiny pinch of nutmeg barely adds any flavor. but you can tell it's there. and it makes a huge difference.
>>
>>7526463
exactly 3 flavors
>>
>>7526686
It's the smell. Also, fresh is better than dried, but it is extremely pungent. 1 fresh to 3 dried.
>>
>>7526470
This. The best way to enjoy a flavoursome bay leaf is to chop it up and sprinkle it on your salad.
>>
>>7528524
Seriously? I have a bay tree, and I just dried a bunch of leaves. Did I waste my time?
>>
>>7528530
No, you now have a winter stock and potential gifts for friends.
>>
>>7526536
You fuck yourself at night, don't you?
>>
>>7528553
No but I fucked your mum last night
>>
>>7528624
Nice.
>>7528553
BTFO
>>
>>7526463

Throw one large bay leaf in a stew, sauce or soup and see, the difference is huge, it's like adding a few drops of tabasco to something, the flavor is so intense that it makes a huge difference.
>>
>>7529169
As long as we're talking about fresh bay leaves, sure.

If you're talking about that crap in OP's photograph then you probably won't taste a thing.
>>
>>7526696
BACKTOREDDIT
>>
>>7529208

I thought this was Reddit?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.