[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
White rice cooking time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: rice.jpg (260 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
rice.jpg
260 KB, 1024x768
I wonder if there's any technique to reduce the cooking time for white rice. Whenever I go hiking my meals are based around pasta, because I have a limited amount of fuel.

Btw the fastest way I know is to cook it for about 15 mins and let it rest for covered for 5 minutes.

>inb4 make a fire
Not an option.
>>
I like the consistency of cooking it for only 10 minutes.
>>
>>7525905

for how much rice?
>>
>>7525902
There is such a thing as instant rice. It's not something I'd normally buy but for hiking/camping it seems ideal.
>>
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 387x576) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 387x576
>>7525902
Idk of a quick method for rice but they make the minute rice packages that only takes like 5 minutes or something like that.
>>
>>7525911
The cooking time doesn't change.
>>
File: risotto_UncleBen.jpg (830 KB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
risotto_UncleBen.jpg
830 KB, 3872x2592
>>7525924
they also make instant rice that just needs to be heated
>>
5 minutes in a pressure cooker
>>
>>7525920
>>7525924
Yeah I've tried those. I'm not a piccky eater. But they're unsufferable.

I haven't experimented yet, but I was thinking that maybe if I pour boiling water over the rice and let it be into a tupperware container that would be the whole day in my backpack, it would reduce the cooking time. Just an idea tho.

>>7525905
Really? And you let it rest for how long?
>>
Sure, you can grind it into a fine flour (or buy rice flour, though it is more expensive). That will speed it up significantly
>>
>>7525943
>Really? And you let it rest for how long?

5 minutes I suppose.

Never really thought about it since I'm usually cooking something else before serving myself.
>>
>>7525943
>if I pour boiling water over the rice and let it be into a tupperware container that would be the whole day in my backpack
Plus a serving of B. cereus
>>
>>7525902
What sort of hiker doesn't know the flask cooking method? You put rice and boiling water in a flask when you make a hot drink in the morning and lunch time you have hot, cooked rice.
>>
>>7525955
lol

But really. Just thought of it. Don't know if it would work. When I'm camping I leave my oats soaking over night in a small container inside my backpack, and then just reheat for breakfast.
>>
>>7525943
I wouldn't pour boiling water into a tupperware container unless its glass. But with that said, it probably wouldn't cook your rice anyways. Maybe just cover it with cold water in the container. Then when you come to cook, it will be softer and should cook faster. I usually clean and soak my rice for about 5-10min before I cook it, though I'm thinking you may get some fermentation going if you leave it for a full days hike. Probably not enough to harm you, but it may taste/smell a little different.
>>
>>7525966
You are right. Not a very good idea.
>>
>>7525966
>>7525964
The infectious dose for B. cereus can be as low as 10^4/g - 10^5/g, it multiplies by 10^4 in 7 hours but spore CFU can be 10-100/g
>>
What's the rush in the first place. You're going to have to wait for it to cook either way might as well play with your fucking toes while you wait.
>>
>>7525902
http://www.trailcooking.com/dehydrating-101/pasta-grains/

Dry your own rice then OP
>>
>>7525991
>What's the rush in the first place
Need to save fuel

>>7525992
Heard of that before. Thanks.
>>
>>7525981
Isn't that only if it's in open air. If you put that shit in a sealed container I doubt it has the same multiplication rate. Maybe add a little salt to the water to keep that shit at bay. Also, isn't B.cereus made up of many strains? Where some are actually beneficial for your digestive tract? Like the ones that would be present in sauerkraut.
>>
What's the best way to reheat leftover rice?
>>
You're hiking for gods sake. If you're not hungry enough to eat minute rice walk another 30 minutes
>>
>>7525981
How do people like you even leave your house in the morning?

It's dumb shits like you who used to shit up the board with "I left food out for five minutes, am I going to get sick" threads.
>>
>>7526127
Most of the times you have to force yourself to eat by the end of the day. You are often so tired that you just want to get into your tent and rest. So the meal might aswell be appealing (given the context of course).
>>
>>7525933
That's rice that's already been cooked. This is a cooking board.
>>
dude

rice cooker
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.