[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Curry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7
File: IMG_(8956).jpg (185 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
IMG_(8956).jpg
185 KB, 1000x667
Ingredients

-- 1 box of Glico Japanese Curry (Hot) - I only use about 4 cubes of curry. It's a pretty well known brand and I think most Asian supermarkets carry it!
-Vegetables (lots lots lots!) You can use whatever I want, but here's generally what I use.
- Half a large onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
-1 red pepper, diced
-A handful of frozen green beans
- 1 head of broccoli
-1 large potato, diced and cubed
-1 carrot, sliced
-Half a box of mushrooms, chopped up into very small pieces
**Sometimes I'll chuck in a bunch of frozen Asian style veggies.**
- 1 large chicken breast (diced) , or about 500g of ground beef
- A bit of vegetable oil
-Salt / pepper.
- Rice (to serve)
>>
File: IMG_(8960).jpg (306 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
IMG_(8960).jpg
306 KB, 1000x667
>>7525309
The first step is optional, but I like doing this for a pop of spice. Take your diced meat and rub on a thin layer of pepper (I also use texmex seasoning sometimes). Make sure to really work it in! Set it aside.

Pop 2 pots of water on the stove and bring to a boil. Add a dash of salt. Put in your potatoes and boil on medium for about 15 mins or until soft. In the other pot, boil your broccoli and frozen veg on low heat!

Place a large pan on medium-low heat. Add a dash of vegetable oil and pop in your onions. Saute them until they are start turning golden. Add in your meat and and cook thoroughly!

Add in the peppers, mushrooms, green beans, and carrots. Turn up the temperature to medium/ high heat and saute for a few minutes until meat is beginning to brown.

Until this point, it's pretty much your basic stirfry recipe.
>>
File: IMG_(8962).jpg (353 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
IMG_(8962).jpg
353 KB, 1000x667
>>7525314
It's looking pretty colourful right now! Next, take your box of curry - I'm using the hot variety from Glico. You'll find little paste blocks inside... It almost looks like chocolate (but definitely doesn't smell like it!)

Now, this is up to preference. I break off about 4 - 5 blocks, which is about half of the package. I like my curry to taste fairly strong. I would recommend using about 2 - 3 blocks and testing how rich you like the flavour from there.

Add in your frozen veg and potatoes - let them sit and cook with the rest of the vegetables for a minute. Take a bit of the potato water and add about 2 cups to your stirfry.

Break up your curry blocks and scatter them around! They'll slowly begin to melt into the water, creating a thick sauce.
>>
File: IMG_(8964).jpg (288 KB, 1000x663) Image search: [Google]
IMG_(8964).jpg
288 KB, 1000x663
>>7525320

Cover with a lid and let it simmer as the mixture reduces a bit. It should be quite thick. Serve up your rice and top with a few heaped spoonfuls of curry! It will be nice and hot...dig in! And there you go! One of my favourite meals to make. I don't make this too often because it is quite rich, but so tasttttyyy!!
>>
make the roux yourself, it's easy and costs less than those overpriced premade blocks
>>
>>7525309
>Glico Curry
>Pocky flavored curry
Yeah nah
>>
>>7525443
how?

I prefer the boxes since I don't want to have an ingredient I'll only use once every few months.
>>
>>7525309
Why do weebs call this Japanese?
>>
>>7525477
How to make roux? Dirt simple: Equal parts oil and flour. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture darkens.

The blocks contain spices as well, that varies by brand. You should be able to tell what's in it by reading the ingredients list. Curry powder and MSG would be the basics.

>>7525488
Because it's a uniquely Japanese variation of curry. It tastes nothing like what you'd expect in India, Thailand, etc.
>>
>>7525477
dailycookingquest.com/by-ingredient/chicken/japanese-chicken-curry-with-homemade-curry-roux this is the recipe I used last time
>>
>>7525511
"Japanese" curry is British, invented by The Royal Navy to replicate what they found in India and they introduced it to Japan during their empire days.

It has fuck all to do with Japan, you are making British curry.
>>
>>7525564
that's certainly where it originated from but the flavor of the commonly available roux blocks has changed a lot from the original naval recipe. It's a Japanese bastardization of a British bastardization of an Indian dish.
>>
>>7525488
Because weebs are stupid.
It's not a thing in my country but I went to California last year. Half the white kids though they were Japanese and the other half thought they were black.
>Yo' 'sup dawg, ya feelin' me?
/pol/ was right.
>>
>>7525577
/pol/ is always right.
>>
>>7525587
Come back and tell me that when Bernie is elected.
AIDS Skrillex and Carl the Cuck are literally the epitome of America's voting, student majority.
>>
>>7525520

I will try this.

Anise.
>>
what's your favorite curry brand?
>>
>>7527681
I like torokeru (とろける) the best.
>>
File: 81brnrGuINL._SX425_.jpg (28 KB, 425x211) Image search: [Google]
81brnrGuINL._SX425_.jpg
28 KB, 425x211
>>
File: 01126006s.jpg (49 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
01126006s.jpg
49 KB, 500x500
>>7527681
Only if I'm too lazy to make it from scratch.
>>
>>7528648
my nigga, it's hot to find anything above medium hot around here though
>>
>>7527681
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.