[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /ck/ I recently got some aluminum pots/kettle for camping.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: pots.jpg (97 KB, 1210x908) Image search: [Google]
pots.jpg
97 KB, 1210x908
Hey /ck/
I recently got some aluminum pots/kettle for camping. After boiling some water it's started turning brassy color with small spots. Same with the tea kettle. Is this normal for aluminum or did I fuck it up?
>>
What on Earth made you think it was okay to use a pot to boil water OP?

They're ruined, and will give you cancer if you use them again. Throw them out and buy a new set.
>>
>>7525138
I was just wondering if I should have seasoned them.
>>
>>7525143

You don't season aluminum.
>>
they don't need seasoning but you were supposed to activate them by putting into oven at 500F for one hour
>>
>>7525149
are you sure?
>>
>>7525195
Of course. The whole point of seasoning is to stop ferrous metal from rusting. That's unnecessary for aluminum because it's not fucking ferrous. The only cookware that needs seasoning is cast iron and carbon steel.
>>
>>7525143
>I was just wondering if I should have seasoned them.

The meme is strong.
>>
>>7525205
rust is the formation of oxide when metal reacts to oxygen. Aluminum doesn't form "rust" but it does oxide. Since it changed color some chemical reaction happened and I just assumed it was oxidation.
>>
>>7525221
>I just assumed it was oxidation.

Why would you assume that? Aluminum oxide is colorless.
>>
>>7525231
What made my pots yellow then? And how do I prevent it? Or do I just live with it?
>>
>>7525221
>Aluminum doesn't form "rust" but it does oxide

Right, but aluminum happily oxidises in open air quite rapidly, so those pots already had an oxide layer on the outside when you got them.
>>
>>7525232
>What made my pots yellow then?
Probably some impurity in the water.

>> And how do I prevent it?
You don't. Aluminum pots discolor. It's a fact of life. don't worry about it, it's harmless.

>>Or do I just live with it?
This. If it bothers you so much then go get stainless. Alas, that's heavier so not as convenient for camping.
>>
> buy expensive $200 pot
> roommates boil water and throw in the teabags and let sit for over 12 hours when they leave home
> permanently stained
> mfw no face
>>
>>7525330
>> permanently stained
No such thing for a pot that isn't non-stick
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.