[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Food and Cooking on the Road: Commercial Trucking, Traveling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1455051216473.jpg (205 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1455051216473.jpg
205 KB, 1600x1200
/ck/, I've long been curious about the typical food fare for truckers, traveling salespeople, and other on the interstate, in the air, over-seas, etc. All I've really been able to glean is a little about military rations, some stories from my Dad visiting auto industry partners in Japan in the early nineties, and seeing around truck stops when on vacation as a young child.

Does anyone have much information on what truckers tend to equip their long-haul cabs with? The typical etiquette for traveling salespeople for business lunches? Dining at forward-operating-bases? Just an interesting story from this one time you stopped at a 24-hour diner during a storm a road trip? I'd love to know.
>>
>>7525038
Trucker here.
Diet consists of caffeine, nicotine and crystal meth.
I have a small 12v cooler in the cab that I usually keep a few sodas, beers, sandwiches and beef jerky in too.
>>
>>7525049
Oh and all true except the crystal meth part.
Fuck you, FBI.
>>
>>7525049
I assumed you were joking about meth. But, I'm also sure it's done. I think there was a gradual introduction of urinalysis in the 80s and most companies only allow you to drive so much a day. I am interested in that aspect of the industry as well, but, mostly as it pertains to food / cooking.

For example, in college, I was prescribed generic Adderall IR and dexedrine spansules, and milk was my food/beverage of choice for synergy with that, because it kept my blood sugar up and had protein to supply the amino acids I needed for the body to produce dopamine.
>>
>>7525038
I drove a truck for a year and gained 40 pounds

That's what happens when your job is to sit on your ass and eat at roadside diners. Once I figured out I was becoming a fatass I started buying groceries which I kept in a cooler. It allowed me to make healthier things like sandwiches and salads, piece of fruit and all that. I stopped gaining weight because I hardly exercised.

As far as a storm story goes, I got caught on I-90 in south dakota in a serious rain. Not a limp wristed presbyterian rain, a true baptist downpour. I couldn't see anything 20 feet in front of me so I just took the first exit I could find which was this little town called Murdo. I made friends with the guy working at the truck stop subway and after his shift I bought some beers and we went to his house and watched Team America. Ended up crashing at his place because the storm lasted so long that by the time it stopped I was too drunk to drive.

Trucking is alright but I wouldn't do it for more than 1-2 years tops
>>
>>7525158

So, something like a small microwave or toaster oven isn't standard? I figured if they were, they were probably more likely in personally-owned trucks, as most company trucks I see out there don't really have much extended cab to speak of.

>Not a limp wristed presbyterian rain, a true baptist downpour

Might have to borrow this format in the future.
>>
Hey OP. Iused to cook in a diner then Dennys then a breakfast counter that catered largly to truck drivers. Not abtruck stop, but near a truck depot where they set out from.

Th food was the same diner faire I was doing befor. Burgers, fries, tbone steaks, meatloaf, pancakes, waffles eggs, hash. If you know they typical diner menu then you know.
>>
>>7525387
you can definitely get 12 volt cooking appliances that work pretty well. I had a hot water heater that I used to make tea and sometimes ramen

I wasn't nearly as interested in cooking then as I am now
>>
I work at a gas station on route 20. We have a pretty good variety of snacks, even some 'groceries'. We sell a lot of eggs, bread and milk. Even ice cream. There's also a built in deli with a rack of hot prepared food. I bring my lunches from home though most of the time.

Pretty much all the trucks we get there are just stopping by for some fuel and food. A burger and drink, a sub, some tacos, 7 inch personal pan pizza, beef jerkey and slim jims whatever. A few of them stop in every day on their route. One guy parks over-night when he comes by and delivers in the morning before leaving, he uses the kitchen and bathroom like his own. Although he usually just buys some microwave dinner.

What I've seen from traveling includes a lot of way nicer stations on interstate highways, they often include things like fast food franchises, gift shops, large bathrooms, vending machines and even parks. Small town diners I've seen don't normally have room for big trucks.
>>
>>7525454

You should make better beef jerky than the garbage in a bag and sell it to them.
>>
>>7525461
We actually stock a few varieties of craft jerky, it's really good. They even offer great coupons like $1.50 off as promotions.
>>
>>7525454
>One guy parks over-night when he comes by and delivers in the morning before leaving, he uses the kitchen and bathroom like his own. Although he usually just buys some microwave dinner.

As part of an arrangement between your stations owners and him or is this all some assumption he's made?

I've kinda wondered what the deal with dedicated truck stops are as far as offering showers. I've seen the signs, but, have no idea if this is is near-universally an extremely sketchy deal or whether some actually try to provide something at least on par with public swimming pools or gyms.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.