[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
quick question about slow cooker
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
quick question about slow cooker.

i want to cook food tonight so i can wake up tomorrow and eat.

is it safe to run my slow cooker for probably 12+ hours? the food i will put in will be 5 lbs of chicken thighs, a shit ton of carrots, celery, onions, and probably either chicken broth or beef broth

will it dry up and burn like shit or will i be good?

will it taste good or will it be all rubbery and shit?

i just dont feel like having to wake up tomorrow and cook around 10 a.m. and have to wait until 4.

thanks guys
>>
12+ hours is a bit of overkill, even on low. Make sure to add a little chicken stock to keep things moist, and the most I would do would be 10 hours.
>>
>>7523383
do you know if its safe to cut up all the ingredients and put them all in the crockpot and then put it into the fridge, and then plop it into the cooker first thing in the morning?

or will it crack the shit out of the ceramics?
>>
>>7523355
12 hours on keep warm setting (lower than low) is going to give you fall apart pulled chicken.
If you leave the veggies and other stuff in there, its going to disintegrate.

If you are making something like a potroast, you let the shit cook for about 4 hours before you throw the auxiliary shit in, to cook for another hour before its done.

You arent going to be pleased if you leave it overnight
>>
>>7523397
Im not sure the thermal shock tolerance of a random crock pot. I wouldnt do it, put your ingredients into a plastic glad bowl or something.
>>
>>7523397
I did this once anon.
Prepped everything, threw it in the fridge overnight (about 7 hours) then got up and put it in the crockpot. The ceramic did not crack. It was just fine and the food was delicious.

That being said, you are taking a risk in doing so as I do not know the brand or quality of your crockpot.
>>
It's safe, but it'll be mush after 12 hours. Slow cookers aren't really what they advertise anymore. Due to food safety concerns, they don't cook as low as they used to. They used to cook around the same temp as BBQ, and it was expected that the user cook long enough to reach a safe internal temp. Mine will boil water, even on low, way too hot to slow cook.

Your plan will work, but 12 hours is too long if you are using a modern "slow" cooker.
>>
>>7523444
it will also pull all the sugar out of the carrots and you'll have a really carroty stew. gotta be careful when stewing carrots
>>
>>7523455
>>7523444
>>7523439
>>7523414
>>7523402
>>7523383

thank you all for your sage advice

i'll just be cooking it in the morning then and eat later on in the day.
>>
>>7523355
You sound like a working class chump. I bet you thought it would be a great "investment", how you would wake up to a warm, healthy breakfast to start off your long day. Maybe, you even had a couple thoughts about all the other nifty little uses you could find for the thing, how it would help you cook healthier meals in general, shed a couple pounds off the old gut, boost your confidence around work and with the ladies. Yeah, maybe that slow cooker would start your life cooking again, wouldn't it? I can see your strained hands holding the box and reading through it carefully at the store. A little bit pricey, but you're the type of guy who thinks everything is more than you can spend, aren't you. And look what happened to you. Look what the slow cooker did to you. Fucked you over, and made you clean it like a useless bitch. You don't even fucking like oatmeal. Piece of shit, you've been repeating those three words your whole life, haven't you. Yeah, how was work after that piece of shit fucked you over? I bet it was on your mind the whole day, you probably didn't say shit to nobody. Can't be telling people about your mistakes. How your little fix yourself plan, failed you. Don't want people to start thinking you're the failure. You're the piece of shit, all along. You don't want that do you? You don't want to be the piece of shit everybody secretly whispers about, do you? Was your father a piece of shit like you? I bet he never had a slow cooker. He had a woman, a house, a damn good job. I bet it's slow cooking you the fuck alive, isn't it. Comparing yourself to him. How one day when all the steam runs our of your life, you'll discover how you're nothing more than burnt shit to be scrapped off and thrown in the trash.
>>
>>7523444
Keep warm is the new low, for legal reasons
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.