[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Groceries
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: Grocery-bag.jpg (84 KB, 828x1024) Image search: [Google]
Grocery-bag.jpg
84 KB, 828x1024
Welp, I've been forced out of neetdom and had to get a job and my own apartment.

I have no fucking food in my fridge, but through hard and gay work, I have 200 dollars to spend on pantry and fridge items.

What should go on my grocery list, /ck/? And for when times get desperate, what should go on my poorfag grocery list?

What's your typical haul from the grocery store every other week?
>>
>>7523070
I'd figure out what meals you plan on eating for the week. You are going to need to start acquiring condiments and spices and baking shit. So buy what you need for specific meals and eventually you should get stocked.
>>
Chili Cheese Fritos
Sweedish Fish
Keebler fudge stripe cookies
Canned tuna
Chocolate milk
Bacon
Bread
Butter
>>
>>7523132
6/10, top tier taste in cookies
>>
Red potatoes
Sweet onions
Garlic
Tomatoes
Jalapenos
Carrots
Celery
Canned diced tomatoes
Medium cheddar
Tortillas
Eggs
Chicken legs
Chorizo
Garlic salt
Pepper

Chicken soup, salsa and breakfast burritos. There you go. This will get you started.
>>
>>7523121
This. Plan out your meals every week, buy the ingredients you need to make those meals, and stick to the plan. Make enough that there are leftovers, and don't throw them out. If you aren't going to use the leftovers before they would turn bad in the fridge, then freeze them and use them later. It takes some willpower to stick to it, but it can really bring your food expenses down.

As for when you need to be even more frugal, learn to cook with dry beans and rice. Pasta can be pretty cheap, too. Eggs. Start practicing with cheaper cuts of meat (pork shoulder and chicken thighs, for example). Potatoes tend to be cheap. Try to check what's on sale before planning your meals.
>>
>>7523070
Get a $100 7 quart Fagor pressure cooker, it'll help you cook large batches of rice, beans and tenderize soften tough cheap cuts of meats that have good flavor and FAST. You're poor, so you'll want to plan and cook large batches of food for the week.

You can steam potatoes, yams and other veggies crazy fast in a pressure cooker and even soups from scratch. If you're smart I see a lot of steamed potatoes, on sale meats, rice, beans and a pressure cooker in your future with a couple of key spices to keep the food interesting. Learn how to quarter a chicken, prepare the meat and make stock in a pressure cooker out of the left over carcass to make broth to use in your rice and other foods. You'll save a lot of money buying whole chickens and quartering them yourself, and you'll get broth to easily make soups.
>>
>>7523584
No you sick fuck-- with my mouth. Sucking cocks is the only thing keeping me afloat right now financially. I don't like doing it, but a man's gotta eat.
>>
>>7523070
How long do you need 200 to last you?
>>
>>7523744
At least a fortnight, friend.
>>
>>7523800
Getting set up with basics (especially if you don't have pots, pans, dishes, and utensils) could set you back a bit, but other than that, $200 should easily last two weeks unless you're horribly wasteful. I've never had a weekly grocery trip cost more than $70, and that's at the extreme upper end.
>>
I would get 10 servings of whatever vegetables are cheap and then some canned tuna, a couple chicken breasts, sausages, cheap pork if there was any, garbonzo beans, liver, onions, tomatos, garlic, ginger, milk.

That about sums up my regular shopping list
>>
>>7523800
>$100/week on groceries
Easy peasy. What I usually do is pick a carbohydrate source for each meal, then build it off of that.
>I feel like rice
Okay, buy a nice package of brown rice at the store (or use the stuff I have left over since it's cheaper to buy a bit more). What goes well with this?
>Breakfast
Crack an egg over it, add soy sauce and eat with mango+peaches. Delicious
>Lunch
Brown rice and brown beans, I tend to chop up some peppers/tomatoes (grow my own) to add a bit more flavour to it. Probably add some lightly-steamed broccoli to this (keep it crispy, nothing sadder than over-cooked veggies).
>Dinner
Literally nothing better than sticky rice and cooked-to-falling-apart chicken soup after a long day. Pour the broth over the rice, throw in all the little tatters of chicken (as I cook it in a pressure cooker it does that nice thing where it gets shredded like pulled pork when you cut it up) and enjoy! Have some sweetcorn on the side, or maybe sliced carrots.
>Get hungry during the day?
Have an apple, maybe some grapes and peanut butter crackers.
I can do a basic list for potatoes as well, but you get the gist of it.
>>
>>7523835
>(or use the stuff I have left over since it's cheaper to buy a bit more)

By a bit more you mean a 10KG sac right? Anything less and you might as well be throwing money away.
>>
>>7523856
I'm in the US, but yeah, I usually buy about a 20lb bag of rice every month or two. It's not like it goes bad so long as you keep it dry and away from insects.
I try to vary it up a bit too. Brown rice, then basmati, etc.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.