[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is wrong with gluten anyway?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: l_bread1200.jpg (157 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
l_bread1200.jpg
157 KB, 1200x675
What is wrong with gluten anyway?
>>
>>7521718
Nothing
>>
SO WE'LL HATE IT
BECAUSE IT CAN TAKE IT
BECAUSE IT'S NOT OUR PALEO
IT'S A SILENT GUARDIAN
A STICKY PROTECTOR
A DARK RYE
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5UDQrpRRks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu-mllTdJOg
>>
>>7521718
Nothing
>>
A small percentage of the population can't digest it, and many have claimed to be "sensitive" to it.
If you don't belong to either of those groups, then there is nothing wrong with gluten.
>>
I bake my own bread all the time. I love gluten, and bread chemistry in general.
>>
>>7521718
There are some people who are deathly allergic to it.
There are people who have intolerances to it.

The third group are a large group of fatties who think its a new diet fad. The news of newfound intolerances from easier blood tests just started a huge snowball effect.

Fat fuckers started cutting out gluten to eat lean meat and vegetables, and guess what? They started feeling less shitty!
They claim to be sensitive to it with no medical basis for it, just another random fad they will drop soon.

Makes those of us with real intolerances look bad, and even cause people like >>7522242 to become jaded
>>
>>7521718
Nothing, it has been nourishing us for thousands of years.

Recently increased awareness of a rare genetic condition that manifests itself in the form of Celiac Disease has led to speculation that some people without this disease might be "sensitive" to gluten, and it could be causing them problems as well. Many middle aged women looking for a magic bullet to explain the indignities that accompany growing older decided gluten was the source of whatever discomfort accompanied their overeating and/or shitty diet choices. So they jumped on the gluten free bandwagon.

This makes life easier for Celiacs, because they can more easily find and identify gluten free products. But it also leads to lots of misinformation out there, particularly that for the average person eating gluten might not be healthy.
>>
>>7522288
>has led to speculation that some people without this disease might be "sensitive" to gluten

Its not speculation, its new antibody blood titer tests, long been used for diseases and infections now being used for less life threatening stuff. Its being used for lactose intolerance too, has been used for a long time on stuff like artificial color and other allergies.
>>
>>7521718
It's most often present in foods that should be avoided for other reasons.
>>
It will make your dick blow up.
>>
>>7522304
I'm sure there are tests that show gluten sensitivity is real. And I'm sure that when people who test positive for it stop eating gluten they feel better.

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about most people out there who are not avoiding gluten because of a test their doctor gave then. They're avoiding gluten because they read a book that convinced them gluten was evil, heard about it on TV or from a friend. It's a phenomenon of self-diagnosis, because the idea that gluten is bad for you has entered our pop culture.
>>
Because coasties flock from one fad to the next when they're not busy huffing their own farts.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.