[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Organizing bulk goods
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: bulkfoods.png (3 MB, 1936x1632) Image search: [Google]
bulkfoods.png
3 MB, 1936x1632
Rather than having a pantry full of piles of unmarked bags and rummaging through them, tasting little bits to figure out which is corn starch, tapioca starch, potato starch, powdered sugar, etc, how do you organize your bulk foods, /ck/?
>>
>>7521464
I keep them in the bags they came in, and those are clearly labeled. The only things I keep in unmarked containers are brown sugar and white sugar, and those are easy to tell apart without labels.
>>
How are those even bulk foods? Do you have giant, unlabeled sacks of them in your pantry?

Reaching behind the first row of jars to unscrew another jar that's hanging by it's lid and full to the brim seems inconvenient as fuck. Doesn't even look that nice.

I actually cook, and go through ingredients, so like the other anon, I just keep shit in the container it came in. If you buy unlabeled stuff, get a sharpie.
>>
Big tupperware containers for flours and white sugar
Ziploc for brown sugar, salt, baking soda, cornstarch, etc.
Jars for lentils, beans, nuts, etc.
>>
File: usa candle.jpg (48 KB, 362x362) Image search: [Google]
usa candle.jpg
48 KB, 362x362
I have glass jars of different sizes with the rubber seals (don't know what the proper term for they are, if one exists) for things I buy a shitload of at a time like rice, and I use empty pic related to hold smaller items that I don't need to buy too often like sugar or shit that I don't need a completely reliable seal on.
>>
>>7522361
>(don't know what the proper term for they are, if one exists)

gasket
>>
File: 1458343327042.gif (3 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1458343327042.gif
3 MB, 200x150
>>7521464
>using 8" bolts to hold down a scrap of paper
>>
While I admire your idea of a pinterest like pantry, that set up looks annoying as fuck.
>>
>>7522459
they appear to be holding up the jars, either that or those are some fucking magic jars
>>
>>7522479
>they appear to be holding up the jars

they are. This is one of those "helpful tips" that I've been seeing in various magazines and books since I was old enough to read. Attach the lid of a jar to the underside of a shelf and then you can use that for storage.
>>
File: American_ninja.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
American_ninja.webm
2 MB, 640x480
>>7522487
That's fucking idiotic. Why not just put the lids on the jars?
>>
>>7521464
>>7522487
It must be hard to get the ones in the back.
>>
>>7522492

Because then you have to put the jar on top of something. The idea is to be able to use the underside of a shelf to store things.
>>
File: 1452484640005.jpg (15 KB, 321x204) Image search: [Google]
1452484640005.jpg
15 KB, 321x204
>>7522507
And to get the jar from the very back you'd still have to move all the stuff on the underside first to be able to pull it out or even unscrew it. This is literally an idiot's idea.
>>
>>7522520

I'm not disagreeing with you that it's stupid in this case; I'm simply explaining the point behind it.
>>
>>7522507
what about on top of the shelf that has the fucking bolts sticking out of it.

not only that but it looks difficult to get to jars in back and you lose tons of vertical space
>>
>>7522525
>hurr durr joke's on you I'm only pretending to be retarded
>>
>>7522532
>what about on top of the shelf that has the fucking bolts sticking out of it.

Clearly the person was a dumb fuck for two reasons:
1) they bought bolts that were too long.
2) they put them on upside-down. It would make a lot more sense to use carriage bolts and then put the nuts on the bottom. That would leave the top of the crate flat.

It also seems dumb as fuck that they labeled the jars: all six of those have very different looking contents. There's no need for signs here, you can see what's inside. (Though I can see if it was all white powders then labels would make sense)

>>7522538
Cool story bro
>>
File: diy-can-shelf.jpg (118 KB, 715x428) Image search: [Google]
diy-can-shelf.jpg
118 KB, 715x428
>>
>>7522459
next time try to think before posting.
>>
>>7522547
> jars full of white powder.

ok, pablo....
>>
>>7525155
Why is that funny? There are plenty of white powders in a kitchen: flour of various kinds, baking soda, baking powder, confectioner's sugar, cornstarch, etc. Those are difficult to tell apart at a glance and thus labels make sense.
>>
>>7521464
I keep all my bulk herbs, tinctures, and spices in mason jars with a label on the front.

Dry goods I usually store in the bag as long as it will hold up. I also vacuum seal for long term storage if necessary.
>>
>>7523829
Canned food shelf....what a way to cook.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.