[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have no clue about pots or pans. Please link me to a good one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 81leZN8NLkL._SL1500_.jpg (174 KB, 1500x684) Image search: [Google]
81leZN8NLkL._SL1500_.jpg
174 KB, 1500x684
I have no clue about pots or pans. Please link me to a good one or name one for the following

-fry pan or skillet, they are the same thing right?
-all purpose pot, for soups or things like chili
-some sort of oven safe pan, to transfer seared meats to the oven

Also maybe elaborate on the generally trusted brands for such things?
>>
File: Costco-3.jpg (221 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Costco-3.jpg
221 KB, 1024x768
>>7520736
I've had these for a year now, they still aren't broke. Would recommend.
>>
grill pans are retarded do not buy
>>
>>7520747
why is that? I'm literally clueless about anything kitchenware related.
>>
If you're in America people say nice things in Walmart's Tramontina brand of fry pans.
Things to look for are 3-ply construction, and to make sure you get a pan that works with your stove if you use say induction. The same holds true of stock pots for soups.

For searing meats you'll want a cast iron pan. You can just get a Lodge brand skillet, or listen to the memelords here and find an old Griswold at a garage sale and restore it.
>>
>>7520748
Buy Lagostina
They last for at LEAST 3 to 5 decades if moderately taken cared of
>>
>>7520748
Because while you can get grill marks on your food with them you don't get any of the radiant heat you would get from an actual grill leaving the bits in between the grill marks devoid of any browning.
>>
>>7520748
uneven heating on the meat in exchange for aesthetic grill marks

you'll just end up cooking the parts in between the grooves by convection which means gray and flavorless meat. We use pans for a reason
>>
>>7520782
>>7520785
I see, thank you for the explanation. I guess I'll never have grilled meat now that I live in the city. How gruesome.
>>
>>7520792
Is it that much of a city that you can't set up a small grill on the sidewalk?
>>
>>7520824
Manhattan is the citiest city there is.
>>
>>7520741
How nonstick are those? Was thinking of either that or the stainless steel set they had.
>>
>>7520829
Ah. Grilling on the sidewalk is ubiquitous here in the outer boroughs. I can understand it being an impossibility in the thick of Manhattan, but maybe it's alright in someplace like Harlem. I still think you can get away with it if nobody cares to bother you about it.
>>
>>7520844
I don't know city people too much, but my gut tells me it would rub someone here the wrong way if I whipped my grill out in public.
>>
>>7520888
Definitely. Maybe it would be fine if you took it to a park or something, but I myself would consider someone obnoxious if I saw them taking up space on the sidewalk.
>>
>fry pan or skillet, they are the same thing right?
lodge cast iron
>-all purpose pot, for soups or things like chili
who gives a shit just get one of them cheap big ass stock pots
>-some sort of oven safe pan, to transfer seared meats to the oven
Lodge cast iron
>>
Kirklands is a budget range sold in Costco in the UK. theyre shitty.
If you want decent pots & pans buy Le Creuset pans
>>
>>7520935
Isn't cast iron the one you need to layer in oil?

Its a pain in my dick considering I work 10-12 hours a day.
>>
>>7521574
You only have to do the oil thing once, not every day or every time you use it.
>>
get a cast iron and a stainless skillet.. as big as your biggest burner will allow

get a enameled cast iron sauce pan for your smaller burner and a couple stainless saucepans in various sizes

you can get seasoned cast iron that you don't have to oil
>>
>>7521574
You spread a bit of canola/vegetable oil over it with a paper towel after you dry it (hand drying it is very important). Takes like 30 seconds. On the other hand, if you cook something that isn't very messy you can do almost nothing - like, don't even wash it, just scrape the shit off and then leave it on your stove
>>
I don't think you'd have a problem if you have a patio or balcony at your place.

t. lived in Manhattan during college and grilled
>>
ceramic coated pans safe?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.