[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your favorite charcoal? Does charcoal type and brand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (684 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
684 KB, 1200x800
What's your favorite charcoal? Does charcoal type and brand even make a difference?
>>
File: 08-King-of-Hill-Hank_l.jpg (22 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
08-King-of-Hill-Hank_l.jpg
22 KB, 400x300
>>7520566
>>
>>7520566

Brand not so much. I'll use lump oak or any hardwood really. No compressed sawdust brickets please. Dont use lighter fluid. The petrochemical taste doesnt truly burn off. Use a chimney starter, faster than lighter fluid too!
>>
>>7520575

By any chance have you had experience with coconut husk charcoal? There's some on sale at trader joes and I'm thinking about giving it a go.
>>
>not using clean burning, efficient propane

Enjoy your cancer.
>>
>>7520566
Taste the meat, not the heat, faggot
>>
>>7520705
>implying the heat isn't delicious
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 425x361) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 425x361
>>7520705
If I didn't want to taste the charcoal I'd just cook on the stove
>>
royal oak lump and briquettes are bretty good, also kingsford competition. My local grocer sells 50lb bags of mesquite lump called sonoran, really good for high heat grilling.
>>
Wood I chopped and then let season. Only faggots and women buy charcoal or use propane.
>>
File: Hank_hill_charcoal.jpg (8 KB, 190x265) Image search: [Google]
Hank_hill_charcoal.jpg
8 KB, 190x265
What the hell did you just say
>>
If you are in california they sometimes put a sale on sonora charcoal $5 for like 15 lbs or something like that. Also, when i get a chance to go to northern california I take a truck and load up on red oak.

If you want the kingsford blue bag wait until it goes on sale usually $15 for 40lbs
>>
>>7520566
>What's your favorite charcoal?
Binchotan, but I rarely use it because it's so expensive. My go-to is B&B hardwood. Failing that, Kingsford or Royal Oak.

>>Does charcoal type and brand even make a difference?

Absolutely. Hardwood charcoal burns hotter and lasts longer than briquettes. It also leaves less ash behind to clean up later. As for briquettes, they vary a lot in quality. Some brands contain more filler than others, and there are variations as to how quickly they burn.
>>
File: IMG_1820.jpg (425 KB, 874x1775) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1820.jpg
425 KB, 874x1775
>tfw I can't find this anywhere after Labor Day.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (408 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
408 KB, 1920x1080
I make my own charcoal pic related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzLvqCTvOQY
>>
File: 20091022-smoked-brisket.jpg (182 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
20091022-smoked-brisket.jpg
182 KB, 500x332
>>7520566
hardwood lump is best
briquettes have fillers and binders
>>
>>7521740
costco sells it all spring and summer long, $13 for 2 18lb bags I believe
>>
>>7521775
That's where I get them from but it has been so warm the Winter I ran out at the end of February from using the grill so much. I usually don't even go through one bag between November and March.

I had to buy a regular bag of Kingsford to cook steak last weekend and I swear it didn't turn out as nice as usual.
>>
>>7520566
>charcoal

I love my meat tasting like paint thinner
>>
>>7521900
Stop buying cheap charcoal you fucking tight bastard.
>>
File: charcoal chimney.jpg (26 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
charcoal chimney.jpg
26 KB, 450x450
>>7521900
>2016
>still using lighter fluid
>>
>>7520566
Burn the coal...pay the toll...
>>
>>7520569
Exactly what was Hank's beef with charcoal? If anything propane would have the gas taste imbued into the food.
>>
>>7521957
People who use charcoal don't buy propane or propane accessories
>>
>>7521957
>gas taste

lol
>>
>>7520566
Taste the meat not the heat you inbred retard
>>
>>7521985
What does that even mean?
>>
>>7521988
It means that Anon is unaware of the significant positive flavor additions that come from grilling, roasting or smoking with a high quality wood product.
>>
My brother grew up with my dad using nothing but charcoal for grilling and slow BBQing but the woman he married grew up in a family that only used gas.

They decided to compromise when they got their first grill and bought a propane one.
>>
>>7521957
That was the joke.
He knew charcoal was better but was too proud to use it.
>>
>>7520566
Briquettes are consistent. They are the same size, shape and density so the burn is pretty uniform.
If you smoke with briquettes you can set your watch by the burn time. But they produce a fuck ton of ash.

Lump wood burns hotter and faster. Gives a better flavour and produces little ash. I think good lump wood is the best, however bad lump wood (and there's a lot of it) is not as good as the average briquette.

So if you can only get shitty lump wood that's all tiny bits and 50% dust, go for the briquettes.
>>
>>7521985
>so blissfully ignorant
>so stubborn that his wife and son learned about the wonders of charcoal, but had to hide it from him.
>>
>>7522005
happy wife, happy life :]
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 318x470) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 318x470
>>7521957
Also, there was an episode when he eat bbq cooked with wood splits by bill, so he had no problem with wood fire only charcoal. He also hated butane (bastard gas).
>>
File: kingsfordproducts.png (243 KB, 400x440) Image search: [Google]
kingsfordproducts.png
243 KB, 400x440
My mother has worked for Kingsford Manufacturing for 16 years. I do think there is a quality difference compared to other charcoal brands; Kingsford offers a variety of other products besides just plain charcoal, too. They have mesquite, hickory and applewood charcoal, lump briquets and even Hickory wood chips.

That being said, I've noticed that compared to other brands' briquets, Kingsford offers a better flavor when grilling, it ignites very easily (don't ever get Matchlight, it's memecoal), consistently stays lit longer than other brands, and in my opinion is the best for your money.

I dislike propane grills. Also, my mother gets unlimited bags of charcoal from her job for free so we always have plenty to grill out, even for me with my friends.

pic related wood chips are what I use for smoking, sometimes I add a lump or two of charcoal.
>>
>>7522144
So your mother is a coal burning whore?
>>
What charcoal would you recommend for red meat? Which charcoal is recommendable for chicken or other poultry?

Which burns hotter, which less hot?
>>
>>7522292
For red meat i like hardwood mesquite charcoal. Real hot, adds nice flavor, smells good. For chicken you want something that burns longer, not as hot, and has a mild smoke.
>>
>>7522370
Thank you, you are awesome.

I wonder if pine-like stuff could give nice aromas, too
>>
>>7522422
>pine-like stuff

Lol, no. Pine isn't used for cooking; it generates a horrible sticky tar-like substance. Actually, it's not tar-like. It literally is tar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_tar
>>
>>7522292
I literally use KingsFord original for everything
Start it with paper, never with lighter fluid

Heat is determined by how you lay your bricks and how many there are
>>
i like oak and sugar maple

mesquite is decent too but i find it strong so i mix it in with the first too
>>
>>7522427
Ouch, I didn't know that. Thanks for preventing me from ruining my food for nothing, kek.

>>7522430
Very nice to know that there are actually people caring.
>>
>>7520566
I buy lump mesquite from the Yaquis in big sacks, no idea what they weigh but they are recycled 44 kilo flour sacks. A sack cost about 5 bucks U.S.
Sonora Mexico
>>
File: royal oa.jpg (21 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
royal oa.jpg
21 KB, 450x450
burns hotter and cleaner
>>
>>7522422
No. Resinous wood is never used. Only hardwood\fruitwood.
>>
>>7522546
Alright, thanks for clearing that up.
>>
How do you prep your charcoal /ck/?

I have a shitty charcoal chimney that I grabbed from k-mart, but it works great. I crumple up about 3 sheets of newspaper, stuff the ass end of the chimney while leaving room for air, and then light a 4th sheet and use that as a torch to light the chimney full of charcoal. The fire reaches to the top within 10 minutes and then I can immediately do any high-heat cooking once I dump them into the grill. For lower heat, I throw the lid on and put the vents at 1/2 for a few minutes so the coals slow down a bit. I find I get a lot more heat out of a chimney than from using lighter fluid. Also, no worries about aftertaste or cancer.
>>
>>7522913
I put printer paper, or news paper in between the briquettes and light it that way.
Works perfectly fine
>>
>>7522915
I have done this with lump charcoal before and it works well. But if I mess up and use too little paper, I end up fanning the pile to life for half an hour before I can do anything. This is a good technique to use in a pinch though
>>
I get imported BBQ charcoal from Argentina at my local butchers. I light in a chimney using an electric charcoal lighter, its basically a hairdryer on steroids. Has the charcoal burning like a hot furnace in 5 minutes. This is for my spit.
Amazing flavours using South American charcoal, definitely use it if you can find a supplier.
>>
>buying charcoal

How fucking lazy can you get?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzLvqCTvOQY
>>
>>7522913
>dump amount of charcoal you want in grill
>hold torch in one spot on coals for about 10sec
>walk away for 15min
>>
>>7522484
This is the only correct response.
>>
>>7522913
I use oil soaked paper towels with a chiminey. Newspaper has way to much ash flying around.
>>
Lump charcoal the only charcoal. I think those briquettes are sawdust
>>
>>7520575
I agree, lump hardwood all the way. I have used briquettes but definitely prefer the oldschool stuff.
>>
>>7522161
basically, except we live in an area without any niggers. white country
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.