[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been buying these mashed potatoes in the carton for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: MashedPotatoes.jpg (114 KB, 725x408) Image search: [Google]
MashedPotatoes.jpg
114 KB, 725x408
I've been buying these mashed potatoes in the carton for a couple months now. Should I be making my own?
>>
>>7520241

No...I've been doing the boxed shit for years...just don't let the leftovers sit in the pot...it'll harden into concrete...

Another hint, use coffee cream instead of milk, and if you can get the 'Potatoho' brand...
>>
>>7520241
It's super easy to make your own, and they taste better imo. Uses only one pot and potatoes are versatile as shit so buying a bag has many uses.

just boil cubed potatoes (the water added should be cold) until tender, drain, and mash. You can then style them however you want to. I tend to use milk, butter, sour cream, some cheese, paprika, cayenne, cumin, s&p, then whatever else I feel like adding at that time.

mashing yourself allows you to control consistency too.
>>
>>7520341

>boil cubed potatoes

Don't do this, potatoes will have too much water and you'll get shitty mashed potatoes. Instead just boil whole or half potatoes until tender and if you can invest in a potato ricer, makes the mashed taters really fluffy, then add butter and milk and you're pretty much set.
>>
>>7520341
>mashing yourself allows you to control consistency too

Seriously? You can just add more or less water/milk/butter to the potato flakes.
>>
>>7520241
You should just not eat mashed potatoes. What a total waste of space on the dinner plate.
>>
>>7520371
Some people eat food they like, even if it isn't perfectly nutritious.
>>
>>7520362
I cube them so it takes less time, and haven't noticed a difference between whole/cubed. To each his own though.

>>7520364
I'm speaking with regards to the chunkiness (for lack of a better term); unless you know of a specific amount of liquid that produces chunks of potatoes out of the flakes, you can't make potato flakes resemble potato pieces.
>>
>mashed potatoes in the carton
Do you mean potato flakes? Or does someplace somewhere actually sell mashed potatoes in a carton?
If'n we're talkin' flakes, it depends on what you value in your mash. If you like your potatoes super smooth, go for flakes and if you like it chunky, go for cooking your own. If you're a nutter worried about preservatives, cook your own, but if you value a longterm, shelf-stable food, flake is where it's at.
I buy flakes, but I don't use them for mash. Ever. I use the stuff for baking, gnocchi/dumplings, potato croquettes and other things like that.
>>
>>7520381
So you agree with me.
>>
>>7520325
What you say is true friend. The Potatoho brand is supreme in terms of boxed mashed potatoes.
>>
>>7520341
Agreed. But never forget nutmeg!
>>
>>7520638
They're also the only brand apparently.
>>
>rich people
>>
Potato buds taste like shit, I always just make my own. Sometimes I just mash them with sour cream and they are pretty good, you don't always need butter. Hell you can put a bit of stock in and get nice creamy mashed potatoes.
>>
>>7520241
Yes. All you have to do is peel potatoes, chop into cubes, boil, mash, add milk + butter + salt
You'll save a lot of money and it tastes better
>>
i donĀ“t even peel the potatoes, just cut them into cubes and cook them with the skin on. works best with fresh ones from the market
>>
>>7520241
I did it a couple of times,but it never seemed worth it.
I usually add milk instead of water and a bit of butter to the powder, tastes pretty much the same.
>>
>>7520433
You can also treat potato flakes like corn starch as a thickening agent especially for soups and chowders. Instant potato flakes are vastly underrated in terms of versatility,
>>
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 600x600
>>7520241
What the fuck, OP. Mashed potatoes are peezy eazy to make.

Peel, quarter and boil potatoes starting in cold water. When tender, drain and put back in pot.

In another pot warm up half-and-half and some whole cloves of garlic.

Pour half-and-half mixture a little bit at a time and mash. Add liquid/mash til desired consistency. Salt to taste (I don't like pepper cuz it ruins the a e s t h e t i c)

Now gravy, that's a bitch to make
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.