[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Georgian cuisine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: Flag_of_Georgia.png (26 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Georgia.png
26 KB, 2000x1333
Lots of cuisines get crowed about here, but I don't recall ever seeing any love for Georgia, and their food is totally fucking great.

Went out tonight to a bakery/cafe with one of those big round ovens with a few friends. Two bottles of wine and an hour and a half later we'd tried Kachapuri cheese bread, a trio of salads featuring ground walnuts with spinach, eggplant and green beans, a dish of chicken and potatoes in a serious garlic sauce, a lamb, potato and eggplant stew and some beef and pork dumplings (hinkali), which were like Chinese steamed dumplings, but more flavorful. Almost all of these dishes were outrageously good, and not crazy expensive.

And the wine was fucking great, also not crazy expensive.

Why didn't anyone tell me about Georgian food sooner, and why isn't it as popular as Lebanese or Turkish? It's just as good, maybe even better. Fuck. Might be some of the most delicious food I've ever eaten.
>>
Peach cobbler.
>>
>>7520007
chechen food > kartveli food
>>
>>7520116
Hopefully I will gain enough experience to have an opinion on this one soon.
>>
File: image.jpg (194 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
194 KB, 1000x1500
I'm a burger in flyover country the only Georgian dish i know of is GEORGIAN CHEESE AND EGG BREAD (ACHARULI KHACHAPURI) and it is awesome!
>>
>>7520204
We didn't go for the egg version because the other stuff we were having was equally rich. Even getting the cheese bread was practically overdoing it with the meal we had. Really rich food - even the vegetable dishes are loaded with ground walnuts.

If there's a place near you that makes that bread you might want to try some of the other things on the menu (and the wine, if they have any). I ate four hours ago and I'm still reeling from it (in a good way).
>>
Azerbaijani food is 10x better than Georgian
>>
>>7520257
To me that means a trip to Sheepshead Bay to find out what you're talking about. Today was Coney Island.
>>
>>7520229

I live in Kentucky dude there are no Georgian restaurants. The Katchpuri is so rich its a meal in itself. I use a blend of feta and grated munster since I aint gonna find Georgian cheese either. I learned about it watching the Socchi Olympics.
>>
>>7520297
fucking pretentious NEEW YAWWK faggots and their memefood, just fuck off no one cares holy shit you cuck
>>
>>7520204
Hachapuri. It's extremely simple, but delicious as hell. Suluguni cheese used for this wonder is absolutely amazing too)
>>
>>7520310
>Being enthusiastic when it comes to tasting and learning about a delicious cuisine you've never tried before makes you pretentious on a board dedicated to food and cooking.
Kentucky here >>7520299 is such a badass he's coming up with his own cheese blend to approximate what he can't get in his neck of the woods. What's your fucking problem?
>>
>>7520297
Which spot Baku in Sheepshead Bay?
>>
>>7520384
There are a few. Haven't yet been. Today's Georgian feast was at Toné-Café,which had been on my Coney Island list for years, but hadn't gotten around to it until now. When wife decided she wanted to spend her birthday in a Russian "spa" (бaня) with a couple of her friends I knew it wouldn't take any prodding to land at a Georgian place two miles from it after.

Gonna have to start looking for excuses to get to Sheepshead Bay this summer. By then I'll have some idea of which place to hit first. You got an opinion on Baku?
>>
>>7520021
jej
>>
lobio
>>
>>7520454
That's the one dish we wanted to try but didn't, because we were only a party of four, and had already ordered more than enough food. I have some other friends who enjoy seriously rich food, so I'll be back sometime this year with them in tow, and for sure will order lobio. (This joint even does the bread with the lobio baked into it).
>>
>Why didn't anyone tell me about Georgian food sooner, and why isn't it as popular as Lebanese or Turkish

Less immigrants from the Caucus than the Levant.
Here's hoping that some Caucus immigrants can set up shop on the West Coast
>>
it's just white nigger food, like Polish and Serbian food.

boil some shit, bake something greasy, add some salt.

nothing remarkable about it at all. Even German cuisine is sophisticated comparatively, and any of the Asian nighbors completely destroys it, smoking crater.

I'd lick Afghani sheep's asshole before I'd eat Georgian/Russian "cuisine", it's just peasant grub without even trying to make it better
>>
>>7520574
Interesting perspective, but I disagree. Poles kill at baked desserts and smoked meats, only just a step behind the Austrians.

To me what was remarkable about Georgian food was that it was running with the same set of flavors you find in Turkish, but it was more dialed in to accompany wine than tea. As someone who enjoys wine with dinner that's what gives Lebanese, Georgian, Italian, Croatian, Serbian, French and Spanish food a leg up over Turkish, Afghan, Polish, Ukrainian and Russian.

Georgia hits many notes you find in Turkey, Armenia and southern Russia, but lands the dishes in a way where they pair very well with wine, in addition to tea or vodka (or raki). That little bit of fine tuning is what sets them apart for me.
>>
>>7520574
With all my respect, it seems like you don't know anything about those cuisines, sorry.
Laughed a lot, though. Thank you.
Give it a try, there are -at very least!- dozens of original and interesting dishes in any cuisine. Don't let prejudices narrow your horizon, mon ami.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.