[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Food boxes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: eggs and tomato.jpg (898 KB, 2406x1936) Image search: [Google]
eggs and tomato.jpg
898 KB, 2406x1936
As a gift to my daughter, I got her a subscription to one of those box schemes.
It works like this: you pay, they deliver a box of food every two weeks.
The reason I did this is that I'm a single dad (wife died) with a vegan 17 year old daughter.
And I thought it would be nice for her to get loads of fresh veg delivered.

I eat meat, fish, dairy - everything.

The boxes were great. We've had 3 since New Year. Loads of nice fresh veg with recipe suggestions.
But.
The packaging is so much that I had to take cardboard boxes, bags etc to the disposal myself. In my car.
The cost of these admittedly fresh and tasty vegetables is what you'd pay for at a top restaurant.
They buy cheap and sell at ludicrous profit.

Personally, it took away money and choice for me and my daughter.
I'd much prefer to give her £10 and say "go and get what you want for this week" from the local farmers' market.
The farmers tell you about their produce. It's grown locally. Minimal packaging.
I can buy top quality meat. My daughter can buy great, seasonal, locally grown fruit and veg.

tl;dr don't buy into these food box delivery schemes. pic not related
>>
Where do you live that your farmer's markets are cheaper than grocery stores?
>>
File: home.jpg (2 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
home.jpg
2 MB, 3648x2736
>>7519170
Up a mountain in Northern England.
Very remote.
>>
I can't find the subscribe button
>>
Worked for a farm that did boxes in season and saw lots of others do the same. Basically it boils down to this:

what does the farmer need to get rid of this week?

Also if there's a bad year or a good year for a certain crop, you're liable to get a 20lbs of cabbage one week and nothing but greens the next, and so on.

on the plus side, most farms will pack you a nice box when they can and it's not that expensive. You are guaranteed better and fresher veg than the store
>>
>>7519213
>Northern England
>remote

there is no place in England that is remote. You can drive across your entire country in half a day. I couldn't even get out of my state in the same drive.
>>
File: lentil soup.jpg (47 KB, 460x290) Image search: [Google]
lentil soup.jpg
47 KB, 460x290
>>7519264
>My country is bigger than your country.
Siberia is colder than Alaska.
An apple is not an orange.

Fucking child.
>>
>>7519347
Buttmad limey angry that he can't into being rural.
>>
>>7519213
>remote
>three houses in picture
>not a single tree due to farming
>>
>>7519170
Most farmer's markets are cheaper in the UK as they're usually the traditional kind and not hipster markets.
>>
>>7519264

I've always liked the saying, in Europe they think 100 miles is a long way, and in America they think 100 years is a long time.

Cute little maxim, time and space are relative matters.
>>
>>7519463
I like that. Everyone is stupid in their own special way.

>>7519091
You might want to talk to those farmers market people. I forget what it's called, but ours has this delivery basket type thing not unlike the "box scheme", except it's local product so the prices are more fair.
>>
>>7519170
>>7519405

Likewise in Australia, you pay up to 1/3 of the price at most markets compared to supermarkets

69c for a bunch of Chinese veg vs $2+ at the mainstream supermarket
>>
>>7519091

thats really sweet of you
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.