[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Piers Morgan: > Who is the best all-round chef ever, the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7
File: 000000009.jpg (33 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
000000009.jpg
33 KB, 460x276
Piers Morgan:

> Who is the best all-round chef ever, then?

Marco Pierre White:

> Myself.

Piers Morgan:

> Obviously...

Marco:

> No, I'm being honest. Nobody had my speed, my drive, my leadership, my palate, my creativity.

Is he right, /ck/?

Is he the best chef of all time?

Side note:

Full interview here--it's a laugh riot:

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/gq-food-when-piers-met-marco-pierre-white
>>
File: fucking perfect.jpg (34 KB, 450x305) Image search: [Google]
fucking perfect.jpg
34 KB, 450x305
>>7518126
Maybe the best chef, sure I'll give him that. But he is not fucking perfect. I'll choose Sergio any day over his 70s style cuisine.
>>
>>7518138

Why do you think he's the best when you prefer Sergio's food?
>>
>>7518140
Because being the best just means that he does it like most people prefer it. The best is not bold and gutsy the best just means the best. The best prepared steak is still a steak. But when you check out works from a chef like ferran adria or sergio herman you get in such a new level of cuisine that the best doesn't cut it anymore. Only fucking perfect counts on this level. The best is then something you don't want to go back to.
>>
>>7518126

But could he take you to Flavor Town?
>>
Am I the only person on /ck/ who is fascinated with Marco?

His life story and his philosophy are really interesting.

It's interesting how he peaked so bright, so early in life and then flamed out with a bunch of short lived business ventures--it's an unusual pattern, I wonder what happened there.
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 616x462) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 616x462
>>7518126
Anne Burrell. I'd try to sex her if she was into guys.
>>
>>7518188
cocaine and alcohol it's burden of every chef
>>
>>7518126

All round chef? Gordon, objectively. As for cooking, I'm too poorfag to be able to judge.

It's impossible to judge something like that without letting go of your prejudices any way. It's a shame there isn't some international blind judged cooking contest with prestige. Bocuse d'Or is the Eurovision of cooking.
>>
>>7518226
>All round chef? Gordon, objectively

Lol, you've got to be kidding. The man is clearly an expert at the business side of running restaurants, and he clearly has his French chops. But have you seen the man try to cook any sort of food that's not French or British? It's hilarious to watch his attempts at BBQ, dim sum, sushi, and so on.
>>
File: Charlie8MyCandy-1306402642.jpg (29 KB, 135x150) Image search: [Google]
Charlie8MyCandy-1306402642.jpg
29 KB, 135x150
>>7518191

she is gross
looks like someone who really stinks up the bathroom when taking a crap - everytime

boner killer extraordinaire
>>
>>7518255
His Italian isn't bad either, but yeah he isn't particularly worldly.
>>
>>7518256
>my mom wasn't around much
>>
File: image.jpg (348 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
348 KB, 1200x1600
He's the Julia Child of the 21st century

All Hail The King!
>>
>>7518126
I mean, how do you even judge that? Would you sample a full course meal from each? Do you rate them on their versatility, leadership, palatte?
>>
>>7518255

Do you need to be able to cook chingchong food to be a great chef? Did Marco Pierre ever cook those dishes in his restaurants?
>>
File: Suspicious monkey.jpg (50 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Suspicious monkey.jpg
50 KB, 640x480
>>7518321
>>
>>7518334
>Do you need to be able to cook chingchong food to be a great chef?

Not in my opinion. But the post I was referring to said he was a great "all-around" chef. To me that implies he is good at cooking a wide variety of styles of food. Gordon is a world-class expert at some kinds of cooking (French, British, etc.) but he's clearly clueless when it comes to many others.

>>Did Marco Pierre ever cook those dishes in his restaurants?
I have no idea. I'm not talking about MPW, I'm referring to the specific claim that Ramsay was a good all-around chef.
>>
>>7518321
The Julia's Child, you mean?
>>
>>7518126
He's a washout, isn't he? Drank his brain into a wreck.
>>
>>7518191
Whenever I see her in a chef's jacket it looks like she has 6 droopy dog tits jammed in there but it's.probably just her gunt
>>
>>7518321
If you like to get the diarrhea, this clown's food/pig slop is perfect.
>>
>>7518255
>It's hilarious to watch his attempts at BBQ, dim sum, sushi, and so on.
All classically trained chefs would have trouble with these since they are specialized and more of a trade skill than anything.

Ask Sushi chef or Dim Sum assembler to make a consomme and they shit their pants
>>
>>7518226

GORDON LMAO

BACK TO WATCHING FOOD TV YOU ULTRAPLEB
>>
>>7518126

you guys have shit taste

ferran adria is the best chef to ever life
>>
>>7518188

The first time I really saw him up close was on season 6 of AU Masterchef when they had him for a whole week.

Changed my life forever, I shit you not.
>>
Yes, he is right. Marco is the best cook in the past 500 years.
>>
>>7518743

Those were simply specific examples that I could think of from his various cooking programs. The point I was trying to get at was that Ramsay's knowledge is just as focused as the average Southern BBQ pitmaster's is. They know their own field of cooking and very little outside that.

>>Ask Sushi chef or Dim Sum assembler to make a consomme and they shit their pants
Well, I would hope they could make consomme given how basic that is, but I do get your point and I agree completely. The average cook/chef knows whatever style of cooking that he was trained in.

There are some chefs, however, who have trained under different styles of cooking and whose knowledge is a lot broader than average. In my opinion, Ramsay is not one of those.
>>
>>7518321
Julia brain of Child
>>
>>7518784
Still think Sergio is better, I ate at el Bulli and at Oud Sluis. Sergio nailed is so hard that even Noma and especially the fat duck can screw themselves.
>>
>>7518153

you have a seriously malformed idea of what the word 'best' means
>>
Sure he's correct, but at his level, it's not really about who's "the best", but about differing levels of success.

he was the youngest to win 3 stars when he was active, another guy did it even younger after he retired, is that guy now "the best" even though he's half MPW's age?

Gordon made more money, alain ducasse cooked for longer, which one is "the best"? It's all kind of subjective once you hit as many milestones as MPW did, or any other chef at his level.

If he was going to teach me how to cook and run a kitchen I would sure as shit STFU and listen.
>>
>>7518255
>hilarious to watch his attempts at BBQ, dim sum, sushi
When did you watch these attempts?
>>
>>7519101
Her book is great. If you haven't read it, you're not a real chef.
>>
>>7519157
I can't recall exactly; around 1-3 years ago would be the approximate timeframe. It was on his various cooking programs that I watched on Youtube.

You can also see this same sort of problem in his cookbooks. I have one that discusses his recipe for chicken drumsticks cooked in a sweet glaze containing fish sauce that he bakes in the oven. I have made it several times and it's a good dish. After having made this dish many times I get around to reading "Pok Pok" by Andy Ricker whereupon I figure out that Ramsay's recipe is a bastardized version of cánh gà chiên nước mắm, or "vietnamese wings in fish sauce". Not only is the Viet recipe simpler and easier, but it tastes much better too.
>>
>>7519157
I have and it's impressive how often he nails every dish, he is deceptive as fuck though, like in competitions he pretends to not know how to do certain things and "wing it" when he has a perfected method.
>>
>>7519176
>he pretends to not know how to do certain things and "wing it" when he has a perfected method.

Speaking of that, there was a fantastic video in which Ramsay gets in disguise to mess with some other Celeb chef. He attends the chef's class on how to make pasta and proceeds to completely show up the Chef teaching the class.
>>
>>7519169
>Ramsay's recipe
We're talking about MPW tho
>>
>>7519176
But when/where have you seen him in competitions?
>>
>>7519208
>We're talking about MPW tho

Did you not even bother to read the posts that you yourself replied to? 7518226 suggested that Ramsay was the best all-around Chef. I disagreed.
>>
>>7519208
You need to learn to read tripfag.
>>
>>7519237
the faggot is too excited because they're talking about that washed out knorr shill
>>
>>7519212
Iron Chef and he has a show called Beating Ramsey or something like that.
>>
>>7519317
Which Iron Chef was Ramsay on? I checked, and he was on neither the original Japanese Iron Chef, nor was he on Iron Chef America.
>>
Best chef?
Myron Mixon the most winningist man BBQ that who boy
>>
>>7519320
He was on both.
>>
joel robuchon is the best chef in teh world
>>
"Best" is a very subjective word.

You can make the best French cuisine.
You can make the best Korean cuisine.
You can make the best Japanese cuisine.
You can make the best Aftican cuisine.
You can make the best Russian cuisine.

If you aren't the best in -everything- or the majority of everything, you aren't the best chef, you're a SPECIALIZED. You specialize in one particular cuisine in which you are the best, but average to above average in others. If you want to label someone "best chef", you either need to categorize it or determine an overall highest average of skill over multiple cuisine types.
>>
>>7519185

Link that sounds hilarious
>>
>>7519328
I seriously doubt that. Consulting a list of episodes for both shows finds his name on neither of them.

RE:
http://ironcheffans.info/wordpress/?page_id=21
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Iron_Chef_America_episodes

CTRL-F "Ramsay". Zero hits. Google concurs.
>>
>>7519354
It took you that we paragraph and a big list to make a single point which could have been made with one sentence and three examples.
>>
>>7519369

>big paragraph
>can't even into English properly
>>
>>7518188
>I wonder what happened there.

Ramsay fucked him over.

http://gu.com/p/z6xt/stw
>>
>>7519365
I guess those episodes aren't on that list then.
>>
File: BobbyFuckinFlay.jpg (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
BobbyFuckinFlay.jpg
7 KB, 259x194
Clearly the only true answer
>>
I know he's essentially a meme know (in the actual sense) but Ramsay is pretty fantastic to watch cook.

I can't really speak about him too much though since I've never tasted his food. Though I'm sure few people here have tasted any of these chefs food either baka
>>
>>7519422

>chipotle in everything
>>
Speaking about Ramsay cooking cuisines other than Brit or French, I think he does great interpretations of Indian. They're not close to authentic but he captures the essence well. I think Indian is his favorite cuisine outside French and possibly Italian which is why he's good at it.
>>
>>7519438
Thats because Indian food to brits is Mexican food to yanks.
>>
>>7518191
>Girl Fieri
>>
>>7519363
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpTodVRR73E
>>
>>7519457
Pretty good analogy senpai. That's why most of you guys seem to hate Indian curry while the Indian food over here is actually pretty good.
>>
>>7519237
>>7519249
>>7519317

Simple error. Nothing to lose your head about.

And, yes, Gordon has given many examples of him not making things work right on a first take, like nan bread or noodles (I can't remember what show I saw that on). But he's a good sport about it and catches on pretty quickly.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.