[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fruit General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: poachedpears.jpg (454 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
poachedpears.jpg
454 KB, 1024x768
>Pears are Underrated Edition

Seriously, why is it that everytime I see discussion about pears on this board people shit on them so hard? They are GOAT tier---luscious, juicy texture, plush, almost bubble-gum sweet flavor, and they make god tier desserts like poached pears.
>>
>>7517799
Apples are more versatile and nashi are consistently better tasting. I don't see the point to pears anymore
>>
>>7517816
they aren't as versatile as apples, no, and in general nashi are more flavorful, but i just ate a pear so ripe, juicy, and powerful i couldn't believe it. they deserve more appreciation, they're not just "shitty apples"
>>
Pears are clearly superior to apples.

Pears also are ripe about 1/120 as long as apples before they develop spots.
>>
>>7517816
>>7517832
When the fuck did American grocery stores switch from nashi to Asian pears. I remember over a decade ago I traveled to Japan for the first time and got to try real fruit and learned what nashi was. A few years later local grocery stores started getting them in the US and called them nashi, but I haven't seen the term in recent years except at Asian grocery stores
>>
>>7517799
A ripe d'anjou is amazing

>>7517816
>more versatile
Almost every recipe that calls for an apple, can be replaced by a pear and they function almost exactly the same
>nashi
shitty weeb fruit
> the point to pears anymore
Are you a meme or autistic?
>>
>>7517839
>>hurr hurr weeb
>hurr hurr everything from Japanese = bad because of anime geeks
>>
>>7517799
Pears were a gamble as a kid. Never had the self control to wait for them to ripen so I've eaten a lot of hard pears
>>
>>7517852
>a single kind of fruit is "more consistently better tasting" than a variety of different kinds of other fruit
lmao weeb butthurt. Maybe you should eat ripe fruit that's in season before declaring one variety better than a billion others.
>>
File: semen of jesus.jpg (10 KB, 300x199) Image search: [Google]
semen of jesus.jpg
10 KB, 300x199
I agree with OP, pears are great.

But let's be real here, Champagne Mangoes are the GOAT

Literally the King of Fruits
>>
>>7517816
>>7517832
>apples
>more versatile than pears
wut
Pears are just as, if not slightly more, versatile. I realise that perhaps it varies country to country, though. My home country, pears and pear-based things are WAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaay more common than apple. You can go to the store and buy some apples but that's about it. Apples. No regional varieties. No special sorts. Just. Apples. But pears! Yowza. Any given supermarket could sell about a dozen different varieties of them and maybe two varieties of apple if they're fancy.
I've noticed that in the US, the opposite is true. I don't think I'd ever even seen apple juice before moving abroad while pear juice/nectar is super common back home.
>>
>>7518068
This is objectively true
>>
File: mamey.jpg (32 KB, 619x479) Image search: [Google]
mamey.jpg
32 KB, 619x479
>>7518094
What country are you from, perchance?

I agree though, in the U.S. pears are def not as common as apples. The most common are Bosc, d'Anjou, and those red pears, but that's about it, with nashi being rarities.

Here's another underrated fruit: mamey. You can find it in Asian/Mexican groceries and in the tropics of course. Flavor is like a mix of sweet potato, pumpkin, and I guess like a mix of pear and strawberry. Texture is custardy and lush, eaten with a spoon. It's very unique, and honestly, addictive. On first bite you're like, "wow, this is weird", then the more you eat, the more you realize how delicious it is. Definitely one of my favorites.
>>
>>7518094
Pears are definitely nicer to eat raw (no core to get stuck in your teeth, no gamble of tartness) but apples are much more versatile in terms of baking.

Which country are you from?
>>
>>7518106
I don't agree because pears also offer lots a savoury possibilities. Make a pear with blue cheese and walnuts and you will be screaming for more. I don't see such combinations with apples.
>>
>>7517799

Because you generally have to wait a week after buying before they ripen to the level of edible.
>>
>>7518097
Mamey sapote is fucking amazing. I bought 2 from wally world two years ago and the seeds had germinated inside the fruit. I now have two mamey trees.
>>
File: 71UbmLKDQrL._SX425_.jpg (33 KB, 425x425) Image search: [Google]
71UbmLKDQrL._SX425_.jpg
33 KB, 425x425
Harry and David's pears are gr8

Good recipe for poached pears?
>>
>>7517799
sounds like my cum anon lets hang out
>>
>>7517799

Pears and blue cheese is the GOAT flavor combination.
>>
File: fingerlime_kath-705747.jpg (81 KB, 1024x537) Image search: [Google]
fingerlime_kath-705747.jpg
81 KB, 1024x537
>>7518097
I always thought it had a persimmon flavor.

Maybe mine was more ripe.
>>
>>7517799
It's hard to find good pears, and people eat them before they're ripe.
>>
File: best fruit.jpg (68 KB, 620x348) Image search: [Google]
best fruit.jpg
68 KB, 620x348
>>
>>7517799
Pears have to be really ripe to be good. And some of the best varieties are very uncommon in grocery stores- seckel, comice, and forelle pears are all godly. I think a lot of people underestimate pears because they're ripe for a far shorter time, and they're shit if they're over or underripe.
>>
>>7517799
I thoroughly enjoy a plum or peach. Apples are fine as well oranges are meh and bananas can go fuck themselves.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.