[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any bakers on this board? I'm having an issue with hamburger
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
Any bakers on this board? I'm having an issue with hamburger buns that I am making. They are coming out almost biscuit like in density, I'm actually looking to create that almost Burger King like bun that is very flat and has elasticity.

The recipe I'm using:
3-3.5 cups of AP Flour
3 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp salt
1 pack instant rise yeast
1 egg
1 cup warm milk
3 tbsp melted butter
>>
>>7515987
How much water (%hydration) are you using?

What's your proofing process?
>>
too much butter and/or wrong flour, use a bread flour with high protein and gluten.
>>
It would help if you also specified your method.

>>7515999
I don't really think a proper bread flour should matter in this case. Firstly, no decent dough should be creating a biscuit-like density whether using AP or not. Secondly, I don't think OP is really looking for decent gluten development (even if he does use the word 'elasticity'. He wants a BK-like bun after all.
>>
>>7515991
I'm not using any water, only milk because I felt it helped the bread rise more than water did.

After kneading I let it rise until doubled, then flatten it out and divide it. Shape out the burger buns into balls and flatten them slightly and lay them out to double in size again.

>>7515999
most of these online recipes use AP flour, why is that? I don't think their buns come out like mine

I'm baking at 375 for 12-15 minutes and broiling for 3 minutes for a nice even brown.
>>
>>7516141
This is what I have been doing, I'm quite new to this.

Warm milk, yeast, sugar, salt, 1 cup flour sifted. Let yeast rise then add about 2 more cups of sifted flour or until it's kind of sticky but wont stick to your fingers completely. Let it rise until double in size, then >>7516144
>>
>>7516144
>>7516147
What do you mean you felt it helped? How new to this are you - have you made similar breads before? What temperature did you heat your milk to? Milk weakens gluten structure so part of the biscuit-like density may have been up to the milk. How biscuit-like is the biscuit-likeness anyway? Is it crumbly? How does it compare to brioche? What about wonderbread? Also, that doesn't seem like enough hydration to me but it's hard to be absolutely confident without weights.

>>7516144
>most of these online recipes use AP flour, why is that?
Again, it comes down to gluten. Or it could just be laziness. AP flour is usually cheaper and often already in the pantry. But bread flour does have the ability to produce more gluten, creating a firmer bread which often is not desirable for burger buns.

Not sure why you're trying to get a 'nice even brown' but it shouldn't really matter that much. You may want to consider an egg or milk wash though.
>>
>>7516355
I am using an egg wash right before baking, with some sesame seeds. I forgot to mention that.

Honestly I've been going in with just room temperature milk, for my next batch I will be looking for 105F. I was using a food processor with a dough hook but will be transferring over to a stand mixer soon.

The dough is NOT crumbly, it actually resembles a hamburger bun pretty well. However, it's not very soft and moldable. For example, if you order a burger from any place the bun can usually bend around the filling without a problem. My bread is slightly dense so it actually rises upwards, but taking a bite of the burger might mean biting just the filling which is undesirable as a first bite.

I would say it's closer to a brioche in terms of density, I'm looking for more of a wonderbread consistency.

I'm very new to this, perfecting this recipe is my way of learning to love the craft. My bad to get back so late, thanks for helping. I think my biggest problem is kneading process, the dough can sometimes get very sticky which forces me to add more flour and knead longer until the desired consistency. But does that interrupt the process of developing gluten, especially those last pinches of flour that I throw in?
>>
bump to stay alive
>>
Stop fucking doing your cute little experiments. Find a recipe that does things by weight, measure every single thing right, and you'll have fantastic buns.

Unfortunately for you, milk has a compound called Glutathione in it which is an antioxidant, but also severely inhibits the development of gluten.which causes your bread to be dense and crumbly (lines up with your description of it as "biscuit-like"). So here's some advice: DON'T FUCKING USE MILK. There's a reason why just about every single bread recipe on earth starts with water and flour. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel when you don't even understand how to make the fucking wheel to begin with.

christ almighty
>>
>>7517490
>Stop trying to reinvent the wheel when you don't even understand how to make the fucking wheel to begin with.
Holy shit this.
>>
>>7517490
Wow, that was very angry. I hope you get through it, buddy.

However, I do appreciate your input. I just used milk because someone on Youtube used milk, it wasn't some eurika moment.

I've tried the experiment with water but it didn't work out well. I think the main problem is my food processors dough blade not kneading enough to create that gluten, what do you think?
>>
>>7517558
Look up the window test so you can figure out when it's kneaded enough.

You can try using water that you've boiled potatoes in. The extra starch can help. You shouldn't need it, though. If the milk really did seem to work better, it's likely because you had the milk warmer than you had the water.
>>
>>7517565
That's very possible, since I have not been taking the temperatures of the liquid.

Is this an accurate video for the window test? https ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyb86ECObTM

I should clarify that the buns do come out biscuit like on the bottom, for example the bottom of the buns get a deep caramelization instead of a smooth brown floury feel if that makes sense.
>>
>>7515987
>go to the /ck/ booru
>find Pyewacket's recipe for half brioche buns from the /ck/ challenge uh.....3 years ago?
>there's a vertical
>follow directions
>profit
>>
>>7517667
Link please? I'm only seeing Bubbleburst recipes
>>
>>7517686
hmmmm...
Hang on, I think I saved it. If it's not on the booru or the challenge webpage, IDK where to find it.
>>
>>7517699
>>7517686
Aha, found it. It's made beautiful buns, personally. I'd give it a shot.

http://ck.booru.org/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=481
>>
>>7517709
Cheers, anon
>>
im not sure if butter and milk would be good for hamburger buns

you say they are almost like biscuits, well biscuits are bread made with butter and milk (and baking powder, but the yeast fills that role)
>>
>>7517722
It seems to be pretty consistent with a lot of recipes I have found. I've also made the buns using both and I prefer the milk so far, but one anon did point out it might have been a difference in temperatures.

Do you have any other suggestions?
>>
File: MITT.jpg (26 KB, 310x466) Image search: [Google]
MITT.jpg
26 KB, 310x466
>>7515987
>"vacuum compressed" heirloom
>that fucking texture
>ideas created in a vacuum

can we end this ride please
>>
File: 20151225_034939.jpg (3 MB, 4128x3096) Image search: [Google]
20151225_034939.jpg
3 MB, 4128x3096
I am also very interested in this, much like OP my first attempt at baking buns they came out too dense, I will try that recipe above, but any other tried and true recipes for burger buns that dont require an electric mixer or stand mixer?

sincerely catbro
>>
>>7517558
Holy shit, knead by hand or knead by stand mixer but don't knead by food processor. Food processor motors strain doing something heavy like dough more strain = more heat and the motor is located just below your dough is.
>>
>>7515991
Considering he's using 1 cup of milk to 3 cups of flour it probably is less than 30% hydration, topkek. Next time try 75% hydration OP and don't use milk. I don't even think you need eggs either.
>>
>>7516144
>>7516144

temperature is too high. try 350 or 325 and bake longer for softer breads

let your dough proof longer. is it really doubling in size before you bake? if so, you are doing something wrong during the actual baking. Are they collapsing into themselves, in which case, they may actually be overproofed?

I'd cut out the sugar and use water instead of milk but that's up to you

this recipe should not be possible to give you a dense biscuit texture
>>
>>7519149
>>don't knead by food processor
Yes I have learned the hard way, I was misled by the dough blade.

>>7519439
It is most definitely technique, I think that I'm not kneading enough. Once I get my new stand mixer that will change. Also, I will go back to using water at 105F.

They don't collapse onto themselves. When I say biscuit like I really mean the bottom more so, I mean the bread inside the top is dense but the outside of the top is really nice. The bottom of the bread however gets a deep caramelize color and can be dense much like a biscuit.
>>
Use a dough hook in a mixer or knead by hand. I highly double fast food cheapo burgers use an enriched dough.

I have used this King Arthur recipe for both hamburger and hotdog buns.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/beautiful-burger-buns-recipe

Brush with cooled melted butter not a egg wash for a softer bun.
>>
>>7517490
>>7517523

Yuppppppp
>>
>>7520272
the KA recipe works, can confirm

>>7520352

bullsheet. milk bread is a very real, very not crumbly or dense bread
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.