[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My friend just called me and said he shot a wild hog while he
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: 12944962_BG1.jpg (32 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
12944962_BG1.jpg
32 KB, 768x576
My friend just called me and said he shot a wild hog while he was visiting his dad in the south. He cleaned it and brought it back in his freezer in his RV and then put it in a freezer at his house but said he needs room for a deer and he asked if I wanted it, I said yes.
I would like to cook it over a fire.

I've never done that before.

Is any wood ok to use to put a stick though it and make the two Y's?

I was just going to make them with my chainsaw from trees that have fallen in my yard

How long should I cook it and how high?

Anyone ever done this?

Should I shave it first?
>>
File: 117474938.SF45DT42.Roastingpig.jpg (134 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
117474938.SF45DT42.Roastingpig.jpg
134 KB, 800x533
Like this
>>
Its 120-140lbs he said
>>
>>7515708
>Is any wood ok to use to put a stick though it and make the two Y's?

I'd suggest using metal. It takes a long time to cook a hog on a spit and the last thing you want is for your spit to burn through. You also need to come up with a method of firmly attaching the hog to the spit so that you can turn it. Without this the spit will just rotate inside the hog when you try to turn it and the hog will hang heavy-side-down.

>>how long
Depends entirely on the size of the hog, which you didn't bother to mention. The last time I did this I had a 55 lb hog (weight after gutting) and it took five hours.

>>shave it
Yes, you need to remove the hair. However if your friend said that he already cleaned it then he probably already did this. Typically you remove the hair before gutting the pig.
>>
>>7515722
Ok. I'll get some metal and weld something up. I didn't think of it burning though....

It's a big one he said. I'm going to get it tonight at 9.

I hope it fits in my car
>>
>>7515708
I hope you guys are just pretending to be this retarded. Wild hog is known for carrying some real nasty parasites that can't be reliably eliminated with cooking. Go ahead and look it up before you and your friend give yourself a brain parasite or some shit.
>>
File: 2015-10-13_12.07.04.jpg (296 KB, 1070x590) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-13_12.07.04.jpg
296 KB, 1070x590
>>7515708
Either do this >>7515711

Or butterfly that bitch like pic related, rub down with basic seasonings and angle it vertical over a wood fire.
>>
>Eating wild hog
Enjoy your intestinal worms.
>>
>>7516810
>>7517638
it was frozen and I doubt he's going to undercook it.
risk is minimal
>>
>>7516810

Wild hog could carry parasites, sure. But ALL parasites can be killed via cooking. And frankly it doesn't even require that high of a temperature: Even "medium rare" is hot enough to kill the parasite which causes Trichinosis.
>>
>>7515708
Where do you live he needs room for a deer? They are out of season in most states, all I think but every state is different. And anyone who killed one in season last year already had it processed.

In fact it might be best for not answering me, as you might be outing your friend for deer poaching.
>>
If you feel like going to the trouble of digging a giant hole in your yard, then pit roast the son of a bitch.

I was at a July 4 party where the host did just that. I can't say I've ever tasted better pork in my life after that day.
>>
>>7517638
Palpable ignorance.
Never change, /ck/.
>>
File: palm.jpg (2 KB, 136x91) Image search: [Google]
palm.jpg
2 KB, 136x91
>>7518958
>wild hog
>pork
Never change, /ck/.
>>
I only eat very young boars and smaller sows. Its perfectly safe to eat if you know what the fuck you are doing. When you gut a hog the intestines arent going to touch the meat. Wild hogs are so lean some hunters wont even bother gutting and just take the limbs.
>>
>>7516810
Wild hog isn't liked because it usually tastes shitty, not cause parasites.
>>
>>7518955

Fuck that, people poach my land. Call him out.
>>
>>7518964
He didn't specifically say there was a hog in the pit at his fourth of July, nigger.
>>
>>7520475

Adult males and older females are gamey as hell, that's poverty tier eatin. only boar I've ever managed to enjoy was soaked in milk for days, marinated and BBQed to hell and back in mustard sauce

1yr and under are stunningly delicious meat esp if you can get them into a pen and feed them corn for a few days.
>>
>>7515716
You don't want it.

That's an old mature pig. It's going to be very tough and full to the brim with testosterone it'll taste disgusting.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.