[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
you know those hams that come in a sack that are highly salted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: steamed hams.jpg (102 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
steamed hams.jpg
102 KB, 360x240
you know those hams that come in a sack that are highly salted and don't need to be refrigerated and people like handing them out during Christmas time?

Well we soaked one to get the salt out overnight and cooked it but it was still a might salty, what happened?

Also can salty foods cause blow outs? I've been shitting myself with the runs all day.
>>
Considering how large they are, I don't think an overnight salt would be that effective if their salt content is that high. You probably should have cut it up first. Also, sugar and/or vinegar helps counter the saltiness to a degree.
>>
>>7515657
Don't just soak it. Poach it at 180 degrees for 1.5 hours the night before you bake it.
>>
>>7515657
I tend to use hams in potato and bean soups, where they can provide a lot of flavor, and the other ingredients will balance out the salt.

In general, when you someone has the screaming shits, it is actually beneficial to increase salt intake along with fluids to prevent dehydration. But then, if your body isn't used to something, you'll likely get the shits anyway. Doesn't matter if it's overly salted, or just a new food you're trying in your travels.
>>
File: 134705246642.jpg (31 KB, 435x294) Image search: [Google]
134705246642.jpg
31 KB, 435x294
>>7515657
>>
>>7515657
>what happened?

Those hams are best used in small amounts to add flavor to other dishes. If you just tried to eat one like you would a normal ham then you done fucked up.
>>
>>7515657
>Yankees dont know how to make or prepare country ham
Topkek, just google country ham preparation OP.
>>
>>7515678
overnight soak*
>>
>>7515657

Depending on your taste you want to soak it up to 36 hours but the key is also changing out the water every 6-12 hours.

Like other anons had posted they are commonly used sparingly in soups because of their still high salt content even after soaking.

Though I personally soak the things whole if you don't care about presentation in the end you could cut the fucker up to increase surface area which will help with soaking.

I love salted hams, pig foot, pig tail and so on but they tend to take a lot more preparation than say salted fish.
>>
>>7515657
110% bait
>>
>>7515728
Not OP...

But....

Wait... you're supposed to soak the ham?

I've just been taking them out of the package and cooking them.

I didn't see anything about soaking on the packaging.
>>
>>7515736

You have a different kind of ham then. This is about the old-school salt cured hams, not what most places sell as "ham" these days.
>>
>>7515736
Country ham is different than the city hams that most stores sell.
>>
>>7515748
>>7515747
It is a country ham... I didn't know you were supposed to soak them...
>>
>>7515750
>>7515748
>>7515747
>>7515736

OP specifically states that he soaked it overnight but it was still too salty.

OP obviously knows that you have to soak them so pls go.
>>
>>7515750

If it's a real country ham it would be inedible if you took it out of the package and cooked it straight. That would be like trying to chug a saltshaker.
>>
>>7515764
I just boiled it in water for a few hours and dug in.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.