[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask a Whole Foods worker anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 8
File: _PcErcp-_400x400.jpg (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
_PcErcp-_400x400.jpg
19 KB, 400x400
So, I'm just bored enough to give this a try and see what happens.
Fire away /ck/, ask me all your deep dark organic non-GMO fair trade questions~
>>
>>7515480
Will they really fire you if you believe in science?
>>
Does your store have a built in jamba juice?
>>
>>7515480
How much is asparagus water today?
>>
which department you in senpai
>>
If I carry a gun in, what are you going to do hippy?
>>
>>7515480
Can I get half an apple?
>>
Do you have gluten free coffee, and gluten free mugs?
>>
Which department? My wife works in prep foods and I used to work in the bakery.
>>
Do your cashiers accept barters?
>>
Is your quality really better than Trader Joes?
>>
Tell us a fat people story
>>
>>7515505
>>7515501 here, so, former WF worker.

Honestly, not really. TJ's actually has some really great stuff/produce (at least where I live) and Whole Foods is super goddamn overpriced, once I was behind line in register and some lady got two bags of produce for like $120, I can get the same at TJ's for $30.

There are a few good buys at WF (beans, pasta, canned goods, other staples) but the produce is fucking horrific.
>>
Can you answer a question? Is your internet connection free trade only, so it sucks dick?
>>
>>7515501
>marrying someone who works in a grocery store
>also working in the same grocery store
Tell me about your unplanned pregnancy
>>
>>7515480
Are you a illegal immigrant?
>>
>>7515501
Who takes care of your wife's son when you're both working?
>>
>>7515483
Oh silly anon, they really don't care but I can say that most of my coworkers are firm science believers.

>>7515484
We actually do, though sadly it isn't anything really like jamba juice. We don't get to use all those delicious sherbets and juices since its gotta be extra healthy and junk.

>>7515488
When I worked yesterday we had only 5 bottles, so its selling well still~

>>7515489
I'm just a little old cashier.

>>7515491
Probably nothing really as long as you arn't trying to start anything.
>>
>>7515491
I carried a gun into the whole foods in Portland. I had just been shooting so I had it with me and wanted to see what would happen. No one even looked at it. I'm not sure anyone noticed. It's a Colt King Cobra, too, so it's pretty conspicuous. Maybe it's because I look like a hipster, and they thought I was carrying it ironically, which I guess is kind of true.
>>
>>7515513
large scale retail is an easy place to meet young people because they go through workers like my nanna goes through bottles of sherry

ergo it's a good place to meet people of dateable age
>>
>>7515513
>>7515516
lol

We have no kids (fuck that, DINK for life) and there's a reason I quit; we were working opposite shifts so I found a job in IT where I could work when she does.

I'm sorry if my wife and I being in a loving, committed relationship makes /ck/ upset :(

>>7515522
Pretty much
>>
>>7515523
Oh, and because I just fucking know somebody is gonna ask, the reason I quit and she didn't is simply because she had better prospects; bakery was a dead fucking end with zero advancement and it turned out to be the right call because she recently became an ATL (assistant manager, basically) in her department.
>>
>>7515523
How did you get from working at WF to IT? Were the courses hard?
>>
Do you find it totally acceptable to charge $10-15 for your sandwiches and fresh bowls of food?
>>
>>7515493
Honestly I'm sure you could if you were nice about it, the produce guys will usually cut almost anything in half.

>>7515495
Weeeeeeeeeeeeell, I'm pretty sure mugs are already gluten free, and i'm sure that coffee is gluten free as well (but dont quote me on that, I'm a tea drinker)

>>7515501
Cashier. But my one true love would be to work in Specialty and eat cheese all day.

>>7515504
Sadly no, but maybe with our new system update we might~

>>7515505
That kinda depends on what you're looking for. I personally prefer a lot of TJ's snacks and quick meals over some of WF's.
>>
>>7515529
you don't have to buy it

we only charge stupid prices because there are enough people willing to pay those prices
>>
>>7515536
Tell that to my whore sister. Oh and BRING BACK THE BISON MEAT
>>
WF doesn't have bison meat? I think TJ does but only in the frozen aisle.
>>
>>7515507
One day I was bagging instead of cashiering, and I had to help one of the biggest ladies I've ever seen. Didn't help that she was rude to boot and had to buy ALL of the biggest and heaviest things in the store. And of course I'm obligated to ask if she needed help to her car (which was obvious since she was using one of the scooters) and I had to drag her two carts to her very small two door car and then find a way to pack 6 double bags of groceries, two whole cases of bulk items and 3 packs of water bottles into the car without smashing the junk already in there.

Then after that she just sped away without even thanking me. But yanno, just another day in the life.

Also there are fatties every day who think they can just munch on cookies and hot bar food without having to pay. And one time we had a grown ass dude lick on the orange juice machine. Fun times.
>>
Have you notice you are getting fewer customers lately?
>>
>>7515546
>scooters

I don't understand this. Are stores forced to have these? If it were me, I wouldn't have scooters at all so those people can walk and actually lose a pound.
>>
>>7515511
Probably.

>>7515514
Nope, I'm just a good ol' born and raised 'murrican.

>>7515529
Eeeeeeeeeh, not really. Like sure they're good and all but if you buy all the stuff yourself you can make it just as tasty. We do noodle bowls at my store and I for damn sure know I can make better and it wont cost me $12 (and a boiled egg is like an extra $2)

>>7515543
I know around holiday times we had bison broth, but it mostly depends on the store. If you really need some check with customer service and see if they can get some from a different store.
>>
>>7515528
It was a lot of luck, honestly. I had some previous experience and nobody better applied.

I still love to cook, though.
>>
>>7515546
>think they can just munch on cookies and hot bar food without having to pay

That's everywhere though. We called them "grazers" where I'd work. They'd usually lift something like candy bars and sodas, consume them as they're walking around the store, and then dispose of the garbage usually between stock or shelves.
The really bold folks would take actual deli/carry out items from the hot and cold bars and eat them in the store too.
It felt like an extra slap in the face if they somehow managed to sneak disposing the garbage within my register area, too bold.
>>
>>7515547
HA, I wish. We're a newer store and we get more and more customers everyday. The bosses suspect we could be a 1mil a week store at the rate we're going at.

>>7515548
Pretty much. Anyone with mobility issues can use them, though I feel like the people that really need them usually cant get one since the fatties use them up.
>>
>>7515570
Yeah, but what gets me is when its anything that's CLEARLY by weight. Like ok sure you gave your kid two cookies, but I'm gonna have to weigh him to charge you for it.

Also I will instantly treat you like a child if you stick your hand into any of the bulk bins. You don't need to feel up on the rice and lentils before you buy them.
>>
>>7515684
>You don't need to feel up on the rice and lentils before you buy them.

Need? No, but it just feels so good to stick half your forearm in a bag of dried beans/lentils/rice, I don't even know why.

I stopped years ago, though, when I realized I was basically pre-seasoning someone's meal with hair, dead skin, stale sweat and whatever filth my skin had accumulated along the day.
>>
What's the starting wage?
>>
>>7515480
Why does while foods overcharge for their goods?
>>
>>7516182
I started at 11/hr, though some places/positions do start off higher. Also they actually will give you raises if you do good, I'm making 12/hr after 2 years.

>>7516194
desu I'm pretty average, but I work with a lotta cuties (both guys and girls)
>>
Any employee discounts? Your prices are loools.
>>
Do you have dreadlocks and a nose ring
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7515480
Do you have competitions to see how many memes you can tack on.
>>
Which shampoo is the best?
>>
>>7516240
dunno why but in my store every time marketing puts up a new sign there's always a spelling or grammar mistake. they're all native english speakers, and largely well educated too, so it always ticks me off

also, when it comes to those sorts of labels customers can be, how shall i put it, very enthused about products meeting those sorts of requirements so it really does work from a marketing standpoint
>>
File: 5153.jpg (73 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
5153.jpg
73 KB, 1000x1000
>>7516241
based jasons
>>
>>7516257
That was a shelf of spices. I'm pretty sure most of those claims are false since some herbs definitely have natural MSG.
>>
>>7516207
Well they say its for the quality of the products we carry, and I can say that some the things we sell are worth the price. But there are definitely some items that you're better off getting at other stores. Our meat and seafood is top notch, and I adore the cheese selection and produce.

>>7516213
We get 20% off everything (with coupons and while stuff is on sale~) and they hold some sort of annual physical where you can get up to a total of 30% off everything.

>>7516233
O-oh anon you flatter me~

>>7516239
I have sisterlocs and just a couple ear piercings. Nothing too fancy.

>>7516240
Ha, not anything official or anything but among workers we try to see how many we can string together before we repeat ourselves. But marketing can go kinda overboard.

>>7516241
I prefer the Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo/conditioner. Kinda helps to keep my scalp in balance. But there's a shampoo for literally everyone, I'd recommend the Avalon brand of products as well since they're well rounded for all types.
>>
>>7516240
Kek I think that $20 bottle of maple syrup is the same as the Kirkland signature you can get for $8
>>
>>7516272
Avalon tea tree sucks though. Weakest tea tree shampoo I've ever used.
>>
What things are actually worth buying at WF? The bulk bin stuff seems nice. And how many hours did you get a week?
>>
What were your benefits like? 401k, health, dental?
>>
>>7516276
I'm just saying its good because not everyone can handle strong tea tree shampoo's. I love me some Avalon lotions though.

>>7516277
A lot of the 365 stuff is pretty good and they're the cheapest products you can get in the store, then I'd say that the produce is usually worth it depending on what you're looking for. Bulk is always great since you don't have to commit to a huge bag of something just in case you don't like it. And anything you can get on sale will usually be worth it.

And I'm only pt20, so usually between 20-28 hours a week. I've done more hours before but school is killing me.

>>7516282
401k is something I just recently looked into and they only take out about $20 a check. So far if I was to take anything out of it I'd have a profit. Health and dental rates arnt half bad from what I've seen but I still got a year to mooch off my parents.
>>
File: 1435382321490.gif (988 KB, 350x175) Image search: [Google]
1435382321490.gif
988 KB, 350x175
>>7516240
>maple syrup
>no sugar
>>
>>7516311
>yuppies
>thinking
>>
Are the sushi guys like subcontractors? Or are you guys just racist as fuck and put any Asian you hire behind the sushi counter?
>>
>>7516311
But it's pointing to air. Easily mistake to make.
>>
>>7516335
They're subcontracted. But when I was new I was pretty confused as to why it was only Asians over there.
>>
>>7515520
Why are you so fucking smug? Does Whole Food promote an elitist work culture?
>>
>>7518815
They were being amusing. Not everything has to be serious.
>>
>>7518820
Okay but serious question, what attitude does Whole Foods encourage in its employees, if any?
>>
>>7518870
complete and utter deference to the whims of the customer
>>
Why are people from flyoverland amazed by whole foods?

It's just a grocery store. It's expensive but I buy meat on sale there.

What state are you from OP? You seem like you're amazed by the store you work in.
>>
>>7518920
>Why are people from flyoverland amazed by whole foods?

I doubt they're amazed. More like shocked "you mean you people actually pay this kind of money for this stuff? We just grow it out back..."

It also attracts reactionaries who get upset about things like GMOs, Gluten-Free, etc.
>>
>>7518931
>"you mean you people actually pay this kind of money for this stuff? We just grow it out back..."
"...in the Walmart frozen foods isle."
>>
>>7518931
>I doubt they're amazed. More like shocked "you mean you people actually pay this kind of money for this stuff? We just grow it out back..."
Well considering most of modern society lives in urban areas it's not entirely reasonable to grow all of my fruits and vegetables. I had a banana and some asparagus and tomatoes and olives, parsley and mint today (in a salad). Do you have a farm where you can grow all of that produce? Or do you limit yourself to things you can only eat in your climate?

And I hope you make your own furniture and clothing because you know you can make that stuff yourself, right?

Moral of the story is that you sound like a moron.
>>
>>7518960
A lot of so-called "Flyovers" still live on or near farms. Doesn't even have to be a big farm, Granny could have a veg garden out back.

>>Or do you limit yourself to things you can only eat in your climate?
I live near a big city. I buy all sorts of ingredients from all around the world. But that being said, I think it's silly to disregard season and local climate. For example, sure, I could buy tomatoes in the supermarket in the dead of winter, but why would I want to? Those tomatoes are going to suck since they're grown out of season and had to be picked early to ensure that they survived the long trip to the market. I'll buy what's in season and therefore tasty rather than treating produce like commodities that are the same year round. I think there's something to be said for the old-fashioned way of eating only what's available locally because that's what ensures that the product is at its best.

>>And I hope you make your own furniture and clothing because you know you can make that stuff yourself, right?

I was never advocating that stuff anon, I was just answering a question that someone else posed. Though since you asked, I do make about half of my own furniture (it helps that woodworking is a hobby of mine, and that I own a machine shop). I've never made my own clothes, but I do know how to sew.

>>Moral of the story is that you sound like a moron.

Nah, you just misunderstood my post. I was never advocating abandoning modern markets, nor did I say that flyovers were justified in their reaction.
>>
>>7518960
Are you really this dumb or just pretending?

Parsley, mint, herbs of all sorts you can grow hydroponically almost anywhere easily.

As for the other stuff, I'm sure it's in reference to potatoes for $3.99 a pound or some other ridiculous shit...they're not talking about the stuff you can't grow, but the stuff you can. I'm amazed you can even breathe
>>
I'm surprised my little thread is still going, but I'm finally home to answer some stuff.

>>7518870
Sorry if I came off as smug, I was trying to be a bit silly. They dont really push much of an attitude on us besides just ass kissing customers (like any other retail job) but since we're the big bad whole paycheck we gotta go above and beyond. Otherwise we got people with all sorts of different attitudes/personalities.

Its more about just working together as a cohesive store. If someone is really sticking out and not being a team player they're gonna hear about it.

>>7518920
I guess because of all the hype it seems like a sort of magical place? Plus we do carry some odd/not very typical items and some people get curious.

I work at a whole foods in CA.
>>
File: 1409789719707.png (174 KB, 429x491) Image search: [Google]
1409789719707.png
174 KB, 429x491
>mfw I only shop at Whole Foods

not a shill either
>>
how do i fuck the qt's that work at whole foods?
>>
>>7520071
This is the million dollar question.

I like Whole Foods. In Texas they're pretty good at having a decent beer selection, but man, every time I try to actually do a grocery shopping trip there I end up spending 50% more for a bunch of weird 'organic' brands for shit than my regular HEB. How do I shop well at Whole Foods? Is your organic, freee range, GMO free produce and meat really worth the overall cart premium over the same at any other grocery?
>>
>>7520071
I'd say just be a nice customer, personable, whatever else might work when you hit on other qt's. Its not like they're unobtainable but I have noticed that most of the good ones are usually taken already.

>>7520103
Honestly you don't need everything to be organic. Any of the 365 brand stuff is just as good as the twice as expensive one next to it, shop the sales and only bother with organic produce if you're gonna eat the skins. We do have non organic meats which are also good, unless you wanna just impress with a fancy steak or seafood. Also we do have coupons (booklets usually in front of registers and a new phone app that half works) and sometimes you can get decent deals.
>>
>>7515480
Why are all the employees huge pricks?
>>
File: 1458322843107.jpg (82 KB, 650x500) Image search: [Google]
1458322843107.jpg
82 KB, 650x500
What up Whole Foods fags! I was a buyer who got laid off during the mass firings last october
>>
So many hot rich women in yoga pants go there. How do you not have boner the whole time you're yjere!?
>>
>>7516275
Kirkland Sig is high quality stuff though. For simple staples I go Kirkland, but if I need something specific I go Whole Foods

For instance, WFM 365 box mashed potatoes are the shit

>>7516277
>What things are actually worth buying at WF? The bulk bin stuff seems nice
I was a bulk buyer at WFM, don't shop the bulk section other than spices lol
>>
>>7515521

Fuck you loser
>>
>>7515521
which one?
>>
I work in prep foods in a Chicago suburb and let me tell you that it is the shittiest job. The work is easy as fuck. It's the people you work with and the terrible idiotic careless "team leaders" and HR they hire. Literally worthless and super corporate. You are just another number to them and they don't give a shit. I'm so tired of it
>>
>>7520177
I'd chalk it up to terrible prude customers and shitty management. I've been fortunate where my teams have been well managed but I've heard some horror stories.

>>7520181
Sorry to hear that man, we lost our whole marketing team only to have them replaced by some stuck up snob who cant even do good signs. Also I miss team bulids ; n;

>>7520354
I feel for all the prep food people. You guys do so SO much work and it seems like you never get the recognition you deserve. Plus they always seem to get the terrible leads. I'm sure you'll get out and find a better job though.
>>
File: katejackson.png (2 MB, 1916x1039) Image search: [Google]
katejackson.png
2 MB, 1916x1039
>>7520170
>but I have noticed that most of the good ones are usually taken already.
they always are ;_;
>>
That company annoys the FUCK out of me.

>Hey look, French words with acutes above the e's look fancy! Let's just mash random ass diacritical marks together on an ENGLISH FUCKING NAME

There is no existing language I heard of that has macrons above a's and diaereses above o's.

And if there IS, it's probably some random Papuan language, where JASON ISN'T A FUCKING NAME!

And just to top it off, would I use that fucking soap if I wanted to smell like a smelly-ass Vietnamese fisherman? Fucking kelp scented? Am I fucking Squidward?
>>
File: 1448395919505.jpg (55 KB, 500x442) Image search: [Google]
1448395919505.jpg
55 KB, 500x442
>>7520393
Go back to bed, Squidward.
>>
You guys get Instacart shoppers, OP? Any good stories?
>>
>>7520437
Nah, we don't get any at my store. Though I was gonna apply to work for them before I got my current job. Besides using your own car it sounds like a chill way to get some money.
>>
>>7520627
$15/hr guarantee where I am. It's alright: you're an independent contractor so they don't take taxes on your money. Also it's nice during the summer, and busy during the winter.
>>
>>7520627
Why aren't you redlining this thread? Your IPMs are low as well. You need to have a more positive 'guest' impact. Also isn't it a lovely day outside that you don't get to experience in any way? Oh and I forgot to write down the number for this bulk stuff, but it's ok this $13/lb trail mix is actually just rice. By the way how does this credit card reader work, they're different at every place! You guys must be so happy because they pay you $2 above minimum wage! Oh hold on before you reply to me wage slave, I am busy on my phone.
>>
Imagine I asked the clerk to fetch me 10 of their finest recycled whole wheat inner faith shopping bags and after purchasing them, I pull out a plastic shopping bag, and use that to carry away the cloth bags.

Would there be fisticuffs?
>>
>>7515480
I went from backyard TJ's to Whole Foods everywhere, but after shopping there once I couldn't believe the prices, quality, and diversity of selection was any better.

Can you recommend something exotic and worthwhile? Maybe a protein raised on fresh firm tofu it's whole life and humanely slaughtered, for example?
>>
Do they really have a policy that bananas must be removed from the floor as soon as they have a single brown spot?
>>
>eat only whole foods
>go to Whole Foods
>all their whole foods cost more than I'm willing to pay
>leave with nothing
It's not worth going now that I no longer eat specialty imitation products.
>>
>>7515530
You dont want to work specialty...
>>
>>7522112
And this is why I wont give you a bag and let you fumble with the chip reader since the sign says its unavailable but you'll try to stick your card in anyway and look like a dumbass. Have a nice day~!

>>7523009
Quite possibly. Though it would probably just end in all the cashiers laughing about the weirdo who puts bags in bags.

>>7523034
Go for the vegan "Toona". I'm sure it will delight your pallet and expand your culinary views.

>>7523077
Some stores are a bit more strict on that but usually it'll take more than just one brown spot to ruin them. But they do give all us workers the browned ones as they rotate the fresh ones in.

>>7523163
B-but I could eat cheese and olives all day...Though to be honest I would be useless when it comes to the alcohol since I barely drink as it is.
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.