[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it true that it's bad to put warm food in the fridge,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: ge-refrigerator-white[1].jpg (17 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
ge-refrigerator-white[1].jpg
17 KB, 1000x1000
Is it true that it's bad to put warm food in the fridge, or is that just an urban wives myth?
>>
Just don't put it near anything that might go sour if not kept cold.
>>
It's better than leaving it out to reach room temperature.

The only real problem is putting a large portion of something in the fridge next to other foods, because is will bring up the temperature into an area where pathogens can do their thing.

If the food is just warm it's usually not an issue.
>>
it's a fucking myth

>leaving warm food out is safer
>>
>>7512194

I let it cool down to room temp before I fridge it.

It's called having a brain and efficiency. If you place something really hot in there it releases heat. Equilibrium etc. I'm not your grade school teacher

TL;Dr

Let it cool down first or your fridge has to work harder to cool it.
>>
>>7512194
it's true
>>
File: 1363724972767.jpg (28 KB, 389x372) Image search: [Google]
1363724972767.jpg
28 KB, 389x372
If you put hot thing in the fridge, you'll get all those water droplets on the lid of your tupperware.
>>
>>7512252
you get those if you put the lid on before it's cooled out of the fridge too
>>
>>7512194
>urban wives myth
burn it all down
>>
File: 1130.gif (49 KB, 300x308) Image search: [Google]
1130.gif
49 KB, 300x308
>>7512242
>having a fridge built in 1960

If you leave your food out to cool to room temp it's at a dangerous temp for much longer. If you're concerned that your fridge can't handle it get a modern fridge. If you have a limited space and are concerned about other food heating up cool your hot shit with an ice bath.

Don't be stupid and then pretend that you're being smart.
>>
>>7512447
>leaving food out is dangerous

Nigga you act like you've never left a pot of chilli on the counter for four days
>>
File: boiled-hot-dogs.jpg (2 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
boiled-hot-dogs.jpg
2 MB, 4000x3000
>>7512454
Yeah but it was simmering the entire time and I added liquid as needed.
>>
>cover warm dish
>put in fridge
>steam is trapped in container
>go to reheat
>food is soggy
>>
>>7512459
>simmering your pots on the counter

Nigga you tryna start a fire
>>
>>7512461
This is why I usually let it reach near room temperature and let the extra moisture evaporate before putting it in the fridge.
>>
File: disappoint4.jpg (54 KB, 550x379) Image search: [Google]
disappoint4.jpg
54 KB, 550x379
>>7512468
>not having an ultra modern kitchen

You're shittin' me, right?
>>
File: feastfitforaking.gif (2 MB, 266x204) Image search: [Google]
feastfitforaking.gif
2 MB, 266x204
>>7512461
>>7512475
Just leave it uncovered for 20 minutes
>>
>>7512447
>>7512394
Water holds 4000 times more energy per unit of volume than air and the rate of evaporation is not linear with temperature. Foods should be uncovered while cooling down for as long as possible, so as to maximize air circulation at the surface and cooling by evaporation, but placing steaming hot food into the fridge uncovered introduces a large amount of moisture with a high temperature which can heat up the air faster than it can be cooled down, based on the limited circulation alone. Because the temperature differential for hot foods is very large for both refrigerators and rooms, the difference in cooling rate is actually negligible for higher temperatures. It is smarter to let food cool uncovered to 30-60 °C (depending on various factors such as water content) than to place it covered into a refrigerator where the steam will build up and limit effective heat exchange. Furthermore, most foods can be cooled down much quicker if there is an opportunity to maximize the A/V ratio, for example spread out on a large lined tray, which is not possible in a common household refrigerator. Most food safety guidelines advise to cool food to a temperature where condensation is no longer visible, which is below 50°C, before moving it to a fridge. Since food safety law only requires that food be cooled to room temperature within 2 hours, and from there to refrigerator temperature within an additional 4 hours, best results are typically achieved by cooling outside the refrigerator first.
>>
>>7512493
I never said to cover food before it's cooled. Only idiots do that.
>>
>>7512493
WTF

Are you an engineer?
>>
>>7512493
This guy is 100% correct. If you take a food safety certification course (as I have), this is what they will tell you.
>>
>>7512493
50°C is warm.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.