[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have been doing some shopping for my new flat and I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: soup plate.jpg (48 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
soup plate.jpg
48 KB, 1000x1000
I have been doing some shopping for my new flat and I've noticed a shocking number of dinner sets being sold don't include proper soup plates with a flanged rim. Most just include plebeian rimless bowls.

Why is this?
>>
>>7509239
(You)
>>
>>7509239

What are you black.

>Ayy yo, throw some rims on these bowls

Who gives a shit.
>>
People just don't do soups anymore, is the answer. Also, dinner sets for the utilitarian home vs dinner sets for the fuck everyone else wedding registry have different purposes - obviously the latter will include all the fish knives and soup plates you want.

What I recommend is that you go K-Mart or Target that is sufficiently large enough to include a wide Corelle range and pick and choose the individual plates you want.
>>
>>7509248
>People just don't do soups anymore, is the answer

Is that true?

Growing up dinner at home usually included soup, followed by the main course, and then dessert.

>>7509247
It's what I'm used to, it looks better and is handier for how a soup is eaten.
>>
>>7509261
how much does Sir pay his pastry chef?
>>
>>7509239
They take up extra storage space for no good reason.
>>
>>7509261
I can tell you that is not the normal situation for a middle-class American home, wherein dinner is a simple affair where the main meal is served with the appetizers together as "sides" and dessert may or may not follow, and if dessert exists, it is not usually served unless the dessert marks a special occasion in and of itself (eg birthday cake, thanksgiving pie).
>>
>>7509261
>handier for how it's eaten
What? forego the spoon and slug it straight from the bowl while holding the rim like a savage?
>>
>>7509305
No, for holding it when you tilt it away at the end.

The plate is also much easier to grasp when removed.
>>
>>7509337
Pic of your tiny little stubby fingers, please. They sound cute.
>>
>>7509340
Read any table setting manual and learn some manners.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=d6xaJWJFe1QC&pg=PA98
>>
>>7509357
What for? I live in 2016 and have no plans to travel into the distant past.
>>
>>7509368
Formal dinners still exist lad.

You just don't get invited to them.
>>
>>7509419
That doesn't answer my question. It just lends strength to my argument that I have no need to read any such manual.
>>
>>7509430
>can't be bothered to read even a table setting manual
So I guess we can assume you've never read the SI Brochure?
>>
>>7509430
If you never intend to be invited to such dinners or know how to behave once there then I suppose you could do without reading one.

I didn't need to read one either having learned proper manners from my parents.
>>
>>7509433
I have read Aristotle and Plato, I have read a little Kant, I have read the key texts of Nietszche, Foucault, and Sartre, but no, I haven't gone so far as to read anything quite as irrelevant as the SI Brochure.
>>
>>7509441
Had you really read Aristotle, particularly the Nicomachean Ethics, you would not hold etiquette in such contempt.
>>
>>7509239
Potter here. Tableware sets slowly change over time. Sometimes formerly popular items fall out of fashion, sometimes they come back in, or the shapes change to suit trends. It's a response to this that causes manufacturers to make production decisions. Like you've noticed, flat-rimmed soup bowls are not obsolete, just less popular.
>>
>>7509239
I hate these bowls.
How the fuck am I supposed to bring the bowl to my face and slurp up the last bit of soup when there's an inch of flat, useless porcelain in the way?
Shit spreads out across the flange and then drips all over my shirt instead of going into my mouth like a proper god damned bowl should.
>>
File: disdainforplebs.jpg (43 KB, 384x371) Image search: [Google]
disdainforplebs.jpg
43 KB, 384x371
>>7509476
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.