[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /ck/ I've decided that I want to learn how to make me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: sushi-making-set-japanese.jpg (112 KB, 465x348) Image search: [Google]
sushi-making-set-japanese.jpg
112 KB, 465x348
So /ck/ I've decided that I want to learn how to make me some sushi as a gaijin.
Not exactly sure where to start. My biggest problem is that I live in the ass end of nowhere in the Midwest where getting materials and tools is somewhat difficult. What constitutes culture around here is meth, shotguns, and bud lite.

I've been trying to research and apparently there is a such thing as sushi grade fish? I haven't tried to make any rolls yet. I started out making something simple and learned how to make Onigiri (which isn't sushi, I know)
Should I try to make rolls and just substitute something like cooked tuna or other fish?
In this part of the country finding awesome steak is a short drive to the butcher or even local grocery store but I think it'd be kind of suspect to try it with grocery store salmon/ect.
Do I just live somewhere where it's not possible?
>>
>>7508395

Move to New York then and suck a Jew Dick.
>>
File: IMG_7389.jpg (186 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7389.jpg
186 KB, 1600x1067
i just made sushi at home yesterday. i also life in a country where i'm always suspicious about "fresh fish". what i do is slightly sear the fish (usually i get tuna and salmon), just so i can make sure it was heated once. or i just make sushi that might not be authentic. i put in shrimps, smoked salmon and tamagoyaki (japanese omelette, see pic). i like avocado, carrots and cucumbers in it too. the rolling is pretty easy, you an absolutely do this OP!
>>
>>7508408
oh, and you don't really need all that fancy stuff op. i made my rice in a simple pan, with a normal spoon and no wooden bowl. turned out perfectly. you just need a rolling mat. but i know i have used those place sets that look similar to bamboo mats to roll sushi...
>>
>>7508398
Did you take a wrong turn on your way to /pol/ or /b/? Jesus.
>>
>midwest
>seafood
OP don't even bother. Stick to cucumber rolls and tamago, but before you should even consider making sushi, first get the rice down.
>>
>>7508408
>"fresh fish". what i do is slightly sear the fish (usually i get tuna and salmon), just so i can make sure it was heated once

Unless you're cooking it well done there's no point to that at all, there are just as many parasite eggs in a raw piece of fish as in an underdone raw piece of fish
>>
>>7508531
>just so i can make sure it was heated once
i'm obviously making sure every part was at cooking point...
>>
Kansas here. You can find sushi grade fish at some health foods stores. It's frozen but it better be good because it's expensive. I've never bought it, but it's there. You could try asian markets too. They might have it. I get live crabs and stuff all the time, it's great. If you asked around, you can probably get some store that will order in sushi grade fish for you. Don't let the midwest thing deter you.
>>
>>7508568
Op reporting, I'm from Missouri so yeah, it's like that.

>>7508467
Working on it. Probably cheating but I just got decent rice from an asian market and rice cookered it. That was with sweet rice for onigiri though.
>>
>>7508774
i't not that difficult to make good sushi rice. i think the trick is to rinse it VERY well. the water has to be clear. i put the rice in a bowl with cold water and then gently moved it around with my hands, rinsed and repeated 4 times. then make sure to use the right amount of rice/water amounts and DON'T open the lid while it is steaming. also, don't skip the rice vinegar/salt/sugar marinade.
>>
>>7508781
That's what I've been doing. It seemed like cleaning the rice took. FOREVER.
When do you soak it in rice vinegar? After it's done? I hadn't seen anything on using sugar.
>>
>>7508801
yeah, when it's cooked, you gently fluff up the rice a bit and then you evenly pour the vingear mixture over it. then you fold it in with a spon in a cutting motion (find a vid if you can't picture that). then you let it cool down to roomtemp. huh? every recipe i have ever looked at has used sugar in the vinger mix. or do you have some premixed stuff?
>>
>>7508801
I prefer to use a sieve to wash the rice (but ensure that the sieve is fine enough to actually contain the rice and not just let it pass through). I find that using the sieve makes the process much faster.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.