[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It happened again a few days ago, I saw the aftermath. Everyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
It happened again a few days ago, I saw the aftermath. Everyone in the building heard the scream. This isn't the first time this happened at the restaurant I work at, and everyone in food prep is Iron Chef-tier with knives.

What is it about this tool that fucks up the noobs so reliably? Is it because they always think they can get that last slice in before it shaves off their fingers? I have one at home and I've never even come close to an incident. I mean they come with guards ffs.
>>
Is that the model Rufus Sewell kept pushing on Oprah?
>>
>>7503346
>What is it about this tool that fucks up the noobs so reliably

Its sharp
>>
It takes like 3 minutes to master, people be lazy, it takes .05 second to be safe with it too
>>
I used to shave the skin off my knuckles or the sides of my fingers with the cheese grater once a month before I made a point of permanently changing my technique/pressure

I also cut myself really deep with a butter knife trying to saw through frozen butter
>>
I cut myself shredding lettuce once. The bleeding didn't stop for like 20mins. That was the worst cut I had.

Like >>7503454 said maybe change technique. My boss always says "Be careful! Watch your fingers!"
>>
>>7503346
y'know they make a chain mail safety glove for using those things and meat slicers without worry
>>
People working too quickly/not paying attention around an extremely sharp object.
>>
I've never cut myself (at work) on a mandolin, but I absolutely hate using it. Probably my least favorite thing to have to do.
>>
>>7503346
i do this once a week with red cabbage and im the only one out of my entire kitchen to have never cut myself on it

several people have done it twice
>>
File: slicer.jpg (77 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
slicer.jpg
77 KB, 600x600
yeah, you can cut your self with a mandoline, but it is no where near as scary as the beast pictured. I used to hate to clean that thing.
>>
>>7503831
Cleaning those really sucked dude. They are scary fucking machines. Their life mission is to slice things to shit.
>>
>>7503831

Those don't even bother me, built in guard and all.

We just hit it with sanitizer in a spray bottle and wipe it down with a clean kitchen towel every time after using it. Let the 15 year old dishwasher give it a real cleaning on a slow afternoon every so often.
>>
>>7503346
The key is to keep your eye on what you're doing. Look away for a moment and you're going to wreck yourself. I use a cut resistant glove too, just to be sure.
>>
File: oyster-chainmail-glove.jpg (30 KB, 377x283) Image search: [Google]
oyster-chainmail-glove.jpg
30 KB, 377x283
>>
Worst kitchen accident I saw:

Experienced chef mincing beef in a mincer..
Bits of meat stuck on top
Put fingers in to push it down..

Lost 2 fingers in it ..

So happy to be front of house..
>>
>>7503927

The worst I ever saw (somehow) was a 19 year old intern girl (literally fucked everything up she did) slipped, grabbed a side table that just happened to break in that moment, causing a 50 pound panini press to fall on top of her.

Her arms were already covered in burns from constantly bumping into the door to the convection oven and other random shit, but she had to go to the hospital for 3rd degree burns in half a dozen places. I had to wear half a dozen finger condoms for the next few weeks after running over and pulling it off of her.

Other than that the worst I've seen is a cook getting pissed and putting his hand through the wall. The wall broke, but so did his hand.
>>
>>7503944
I've seen a prep cook cut off the tips of her own fingers. Then the cook standing next to her fainted and smashed his head in the corner of the stainless prep table. I got wobbly, but I was the only one who had head enough to assess the situation properly. The Guatemalan prep ladies were praying and crying doing some wierd juju the whole time.....

Had a busy as fuck lunch service that day and mad covers to take care of while all that was happening and still had to expedite. The patrons all eating having no idea phalanges were being put on ice behind them...

I miss working in restaurants :(
>>
Fuck reading that made my fingertips itch and I've never cut myself on a mandolin.

I did however witness someone saw into his fucking pinky nail with a slicer because he stopped paying attention.
People who scream when they hurt themselves are really bad for the nerves
>>
>>7503831
I only acquired decent knife skills out of refusal to use the piece of crap we had. It chewed up shit like it was tossing it aside to get to fingers and was a pain in the ass to take apart and clean.

I only cut myself on it once and that was cleaning the blade.
>>
I haven't been wounded by one of those yet. But I did get cut up by a blender.
>>
>>7503346
>What is it about this tool that fucks up the noobs
It fucks up everyone. I saw a guy with 30 years experience slice his knuckle off with one. The mandolin does not discriminate. I use 2 plastic oyster gloves whenever I use the hand slicer.
>>
>>7503991

Unlike every mandolin I've ever had to use, aside from the one at home, I've never worked with a meat slicer that wasn't crazy sharp and would thinly slice your fingers off without a hiccup.

It's honestly the best example of dull shit being more dangerous than razor sharp things (unless you're cleaning it and forget what you're doing for a moment, apparently).
>>
More kitchen injury stories pls
>>
>>7504002
I have also sharpened a knife, set it on the counter, then cut myself wiping down that counter. Once I'm not using it it seems like I forget how sharp an object is.
>>
>>7503996
Go on
>>
>>7504012

Can definitely relate.

When I first started using a knife kit I'd regularly slice myself on the knife next to the one I was casually pulling out.

I had to buy a new fucking bag because there were visible blood stains on the inside of my old one.
>>
File: 1452731638001.jpg (22 KB, 229x216) Image search: [Google]
1452731638001.jpg
22 KB, 229x216
>>7504007
My uncle was a fisherman until he was casting nets and a line somehow got wrapped around his wrist.

The line tightened and lopped off his hand so fast he didn't realize it until he saw the hand in the water. It makes my toes curl whenever I picture the scenario in my mind.

>fishing
>fish
>not /ck/
>>
>>7504016
Was blending something when suddenly stuff sprayed all over the kitchen. Had a retard moment and didn't turn it off before I felt if there was a hole. Realised a second later that weird feeling was my fingers being cut up. Blood everywhere. Didn't lose anything though.
>>
>>7503944
>I had to wear half a dozen finger condoms for the next few weeks after running over and pulling it off of her.

Fucking white knights. Let the bitch deal with her own problems.
>>
>>7504074

>white knights

I could have hit it any time if I wanted to.

When you're part of a team and you see someone hurt (or, you know, just in general) you do what you can to help. If she'd sliced off her fingers or something I probably would have completely froze in the moment and just yelled for someone to call help, not knowing what else to do.
>>
>>7504108
Pathetic. You put yourself in danger for her useless, retarded ass. She's probably dead now anyway if she's that dumb
>>
>>7504128

Anyone can slip, anon...
>>
I sliced my pinky finger on a mandolin

Worst pain ive ever felt
>>
>>7504128
Please go back to your containment board. /r9k/ misses you
>>
Not kitchen related, but while we're on the subject, I chopped the end of my thumb off cutting kindling about a month ago.
Held it in place on the way to the hospital, kept blood flowing and got it sewn back on.
It feels like there's a bit of nerve damage but other than that, it healed remarkably well.
>>
>>7504319

>chopped the end of my thumb off cutting kindling

I'm guessing you're one of those /k/ or /out/ fags who insists on using a shitty pocket knife for everything, even in the kitchen.
>>
>>7503831
We had one of these at the shitty chain steakhouse i used to work at. There was a short somewhere in the machine and it would shock you real good if you touched any part of it except the handles. It was super fucking sketchy. The chord was also cut to shit with bare wire exposed in multiple places and would spark on the stainless table unless you bent it the right way. We would call using it "riding the lightning."
>>
>>7504334

>riding the lightning

Fuck that shit.

I've put up with all kinds of sketchy shit and always pulled my weight working the line, but sometimes you just have to speak up and say, "no, fuck you, I don't feel like getting electrocuted today".

I was once asked to change a light bulb over the fry station, when the morning guy had spilled oil all over the step ladder, and I flat out said, "no, I don't feel like slipping and falling into hot oil today, get one of the illegals to take care of it". And the chef basically said okay, and that he saw my point.

>i also have vertigo, am out of shape, and usually suffering from alcohol withdrawal, which means the room is already spinning when i'm not standing on top of a step ladder reaching over vats of hot oil to unscrew a light bulb and probably get electrocuted even if everything else goes as planned
>>
>>7503859

>these aren't scary to clean at all
>if you make someone else do it
>>
>>7504331
were you here when that fat autist got mad and crapflooded a thread with pictures of his fat forearms slashing papers with his pocket knife?
>>
>>7504074

>complete cunt is getting her just desserts
>rush to her defense because she's a woman

This is a white knight.

>somebody just received a serious injury, which could become more serious without outside intervention
>do what you can to help

This is called "not being a horrible human being".

Someday, anon, you might have an accident of your own. In that instance, you'll be glad that many people aren't so selfish that they'll just stand there and watch while your situation worsens.
>>
>>7503831
The meat slicer at the last place I worked at was a hot Polish girl. She never injured anyone.
>>
>>7503346
For me it was just my technique, holding it awkwardly and slicing too quick, don't think I've ever cut myself so bad.

Now I'll only ever use it for onions and potatoes if I need them precise and quickly.
>>
>>7504346

Keith?
>>
>>7504601

that was hilarious, he thought a sypderco was a real knife in a thread with goddamn meat cleavers and 10" gyutos and shit
>>
>>7505455

There's a Keith in every kitchen.
>>
>>7505462
Keith Shackleford?
>>
>>7503831
Can't find a picture of one now, but back when I used to work at a butcher's we had this machine that could chop through an entire frozen pork shoulder, bone and all, without any trouble. Sliced open my finger once while cleaning it, didn't feel it at first as it was so fucking sharp... Luckily no nerve damage though
>>
>>7503831
You have to be literally retarded to hurt yourself on a intelligently designed slicer.

At least with a mandoline there's the chance that your hand could slip, or you aren't using the guard because you're dumb and have no one to blame but yourself.

I've worked at a grocery store deli department for years and literally the only times people ever got hurt on one was because they weren't holding onto the handles, touched the blade for some reason while it was running, weren't cleaning it with the protective gloves on or were cleaning it without locking it out and accidentally powered it on.

>>7505620
Yeah the cleaner the cut, the less it'll hurt and the quicker it'll heal.
>>
>>7503831
>>7505686

Back when i worked at a deli, i had a supervisor who kept rushing me infront of the customers when i was slicing with this machine it was extremely embarrasing, but i have always been afraid of machines that can cut (buzzsaws, mothersaws and so on).

So one day, he is agitated, and of course he goes "Speed, speed, we need more speed, let me show you." and he does like 3 slices extremely fast (without using the holder thingie, he is just holding the Panchetta) at the fourth slice, the panchetta slips in his hand, and because of the speed he was going at, and the fat on the machine, his entire hand, from the finger - to the wrist, is sliced, like a 5 mm slice. The entire palm was just a bloody mess, we had to shut off the machine and pull the palm backwards out because it was still stuck at the wrist.

Was a pretty terrible thing, but he never told me to hurry again and he never got near that machine again.
>>
File: IMG_0390.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0390.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
I have a 4 piece kit at home. 1 mandolin slicer, 1 fine grater, 1 coarse grater, and 1 mandolin shredder (pic related).

One day, I was using the shredder to shred carrots for cole slaw. The shredder shredded my thumb, and then the blade sliced the tip off. It was some of the worst pain I've ever felt. When I held a paper towel to it, it was an explosion of pain unlike anything I've felt before. Took nearly an hour to stop the bleeding.

Don't have a pic of the gore, but I fished up a pic of my thumb where you can see the tip is beveled.
>>
>>7505722
>without using the holder thingie, he is just holding the Panchetta

HERE LET ME SHOW YOU HOW TO DO IT, YOU HAVE TO DO IT COMPLETELY WRONG IN A WAY SO WRONG THAT NOBODY WOULD EVER DO IT THIS WAY
>>
>>7506769
/ck/ is a sfw board. go post your dick somewhere else.
>>
>>7505722
Holy shit that is gruesome, it seems like the only way he would have learned to not rush someone using dangerous equipment however
>>
>>7503346
it's pretty much a right of passage.
>>
File: 1390684666639.png (71 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
1390684666639.png
71 KB, 220x220
>>7506825

>4chan
>sfw board

the memes drown out my laughter
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.