[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does brief high heat or sustained low heat make the best fried egg?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9
File: sunny-side-up-fried-eggs.jpg (28 KB, 615x461) Image search: [Google]
sunny-side-up-fried-eggs.jpg
28 KB, 615x461
Does brief high heat or sustained low heat make the best fried egg?
>>
Very low heat. Only way to ensure that the thicker egg white gets cooked without burning the thinner egg white.
>>
itsraw.tiff
>>
>>7501721

My wife says the trick is low heat. She takes it off the burner sometimes even. And her eggs are perfect. Cooked whites with runny yolk.

I on the other hand suck shit at them.
>>
high heat with a flip
>>
also more oil for god tier crisp.
>>
Normies eat eggs with low heat
But the actual way to go is high heat & spread the white as you lay it on the pan. It has no raw-egg whites & it has the perfect texture as it wasn't cooked the homosexual way.
>>
>>7502090

>the actual way to go is high heat

No.

>spread the white as you lay it on the pan

Yes.

Spreading the white out is restaurant tier, as is using high heat, but only because on the line you don't have time to cook the eggs properly.

Crispy/browned/burnt eggs are pleb tier. Just because they remind you of the way mom served them doesn't make them good.
>>
>>7502102
Who said high heat means burning them?
It really has different texture if you cook it slowly
>>
>>7502090
>>7502102
Do you mean tilt the pan so the white spills out as far as it can go, or use the spatula to push the white off the egg?
>>
>>7502150
You can spread the white just as you break the egg or use a spatula and spread it once it's over the pan.
>>
>>7502150

You use a spatula to spread out the top layer of white surrounding the yolk - the bit that's always the last to cook through.
>>
The brown ring that forms around a fried egg cooked over high heat is like eating a thin strip of plastic. I wish it was just crispy, but it's incredibly tough and unpleasant.
>>
I second high heat with a flip, it may not look great but it sure tastes awesome, fully cooked white, always runny yolk. This also stops the overcooked edges. The egg remains plump and if you go over medium it's perfect for sandwiches and burgers.
>>
>>7502354

>high heat
>this stops the overcooked edges

Blatantly false.
>>
brief high! how is this a question? it will quickly cook the bottom making a bed for a hard but wet yellow and a crispy white with brown spots.
>>
File: monkey-vomit.jpg (288 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
monkey-vomit.jpg
288 KB, 480x640
>>7502375

>crispy white with brown spots
>>
File: 15233668750_3bc69bfaa2.jpg (48 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
15233668750_3bc69bfaa2.jpg
48 KB, 500x333
>>7502385
please look at this...how can a fried egg be otherwise?
>>
>>7502387
I'm the worlds biggest fan of the maillard reaction, but eggs are one of the few things that I don't think benefit from being browned. They get leathery and the taste isn't very pleasant.
>>
Poached

now fuck off
>>
>>7502369
How? whut? Nigga you just brake it gently on the pan drop it and the cooking stops it from spreading stupid thin, then you flip it and remove it from heat a few seconds later. If you got those shitty brown rims you left it too long or you are using too much oil. Flip it fast, that's the part where high and fast ends, fast!
>>
Medium heat on a good quality, thick pan. The trick is to spoon over hot oil on top of the yolk so it cooks quicker than it normally would. I'm not a fan of highly browned edges because they are usually hard.
>>
>>7502387

If someone I knew thought that looked good enough to post on the internet, other than a joke, I'd make an attempt to gradually fall out of touch with them.
>>
i suggest making the move from sunny side up to over medium

it has delicious consistently cooked whites with soft yolks, while also having no burnt/browned residue

truly top egg
>>
>>7502415
>The trick is to spoon over hot oil on top of the yolk so it cooks quicker than it normally would.
This is the western way (fatter) to make good sunny sides.

The East Asian way (which isn't that common because over medium is the preferred) is to use less oil but drop a bit of water and cover(water+oil steams the top creating a white cooked sunny side).

Depends how much oil you want/use in your eggs.
>>
>>7502443

Steaming the tops of eggs is really common in the US.

Short order cooks will often throw an ice cube on the flat top next to the eggs and cover it. Same thing they do to melt the cheese on burgers for lunch/dinner.

That said, there isn't really a name for that preparation (as far as I know). It's basically over-easy/medium, except that it's clearly different than simply flipping the eggs.
>>
>>7502460

Yeah but they are cooking on a flat top for burgers. You don't really want to throw water or an ice cube into your hot cooking oil, do you?
>>
Basting in bacon fat makes the fried egg. Medium heat, while spooning the grease over the eggs.
>>
>>7502469

Why would you have a bunch of hot oil in your pan? With either nonstick or a well seasoned iron pan you need hardly any.
>>
>>7501721
low heat, you want the pan barely hot enough so that water sizzles in it. any browning on a fried egg is chewy.
>>
>>7502482

I never said I had a bunch, now did I?

There's still going to be a fraction, a splatter even if your throwing in a fucking IceCube you dink.

Non-stick is for faggots.
>>
I make eggs every morning. medium heat, with the yolk broken so it mixes with the whites and stirred around the pan. I usually do one whole egg and two whites. When it starts to coagulate I add salt pepper, flip it, and turn off the heat while I make toast. Just soft enough to not be runny.
>>
>>7502499
But runny egg yolk + hot sauce is the best toast condiment. If I accidentally break a yolk I just make scrambled eggs instead of fried
>>
>>7502516
different tastes anon. I like the runny sometimes but I'm an overhard guy what can I say
>>
File: baconfat2.jpg (38 KB, 640x455) Image search: [Google]
baconfat2.jpg
38 KB, 640x455
Medium-high heat, uncovered.

There has to be enough fat/oil to cover most of the egg though. You can either add more or cook some fatty meat (bacon, sausage, etc) prior and use that fat.
>>
>>7501721
>sustained low heat

This.

Combined with putting a lid on your pan, low heat is the way to go.

It takes longer, but the end product is worth the additional time.
>>
File: fruzza.jpg (282 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
fruzza.jpg
282 KB, 500x333
>>7502426
>looked

i know its looks are not appealing, i post it cause its taste is great. if one were to eat only what looks good wed all be frutarians.
>>
>>7502645

It looks bad because anyone whose been on this planet for more than a couple decades knows that plastic eggs are disgusting.
>>
>>7502090
>spread egg out
>no more space for remaining eggs
??
>>
>>7502916
you should only be having one egg anyway fatass
>>
>>7502933
Why are you so anti-teen?
>>
>runny yolk
why would I want a plate of raw snotty slime?
>>
high heat flicking oil furiously over the egg
>>
Medium to low. I separate the whites first and very gently mix them so the white is more consistent, then put everything in the small pan. Tilt around for the white to spread and it ends up perfect. Cooked all the way through at all parts, super even, no heavy browning.
>>
High heat, butter, drop egg, reduce heat.

Perfect egg every time.
>>
over easy with coconut oil.
cook until most of white is done then flip, & turn off burner. just needs about 10 seconds after flip.

must use nonstick pan.
must put salt and pepper on after completed.
>>
>he eats fry eggs
>>
Brief low heat.
>>
>>7502415
>The trick is to spoon over hot oil on top of the yolk so it cooks quicker than it normally would
this exactly
>>
>>7502089
>>7502375
>>7502387

Crispy eggs are disgusting.
The burnt parts taste like asshole.
>>
File: egginside.jpg (35 KB, 400x341) Image search: [Google]
egginside.jpg
35 KB, 400x341
>>7501721
It's all abut how evenly the energy should be transferred. Short on high heat makes a crisp bottom with a runny on top. Sustained low heat creates the same with exception that the bottom is not crisp. Depends on your preference, I prefer low heat, non-crisp.
>>
How the actual fuck do I crack an egg without getting shells in it? I can cook eggs perfectly, but I have to fiddle with them to get shells out always
>>
>>7505091
as a man who loves eating his girlfriends asshole, I'm not so sure you're tasting the right kind of asshole
>>
>>7503969
eggs are not high in fat
>>
I think waiters look down on me when I ask for a fried egg with Eggs Benedict instead of poached
>>
>>7505182
a clean, single crack
>>
>>7505182

How do you not? Hit it once on a sharp edge and pull apart.
>>
>>7502933
Fuck off, woman.
>>
What is the weird part of the egg that makes it look like it has progressed a bit in its lifecycle? that strange umbilical cord looking white strand thing that attaches near the little hard pre-beak bit?
>>
I crack a raw egg into burning oil. Works a treat
>>
>>7505220
they literally servant, fuck what they think
>>
>>7506252
this

you guys are doin too much
>>
>>7505220
It's more cleanup apparently, some people are babbies and are allergic to egg so rather than having all the egg cooked in one poaching pot they'll need an extra pan for fried eggs (instead of frying in the bacon pan), then again for scrambled because you cant cook that simultaneously with fried egg and bluh bluh.

So really their face isn't judging they're just miserable they have to ask the high strung chef to do the fried egg.
Also; you're paying, you're their boss. Who cares what they think
>>
>Home comfy tier

Low heat, pan covered

>Restaurant stress tier

HIgh heat
>>
>>7505091
and that nasty texture too, I hate crinkly eggs
>>
>>7501721
God, fried eggs are such pleb food

there are a million ways to prepare eggs, and you guys still eat them fried?
>>
>>7501749
why would anyone who doesn't cook post on /ck/?

reeeeee, etc
>>
File: willem_dafoe_le_vampire_face.jpg (5 KB, 500x353) Image search: [Google]
willem_dafoe_le_vampire_face.jpg
5 KB, 500x353
>>7505164
why do they call it the chalaza?
>>
>>7507832
Fried is a good way to get extra fats. I like to fry eggs in bacon grease or coconut oil.
>>
>>7507832
Fried eggs are on the tastiest foods on the planet

Runny yolk makes me cum
>>
>>7507832
Who gives a shit? I mean who that isn't a giant autist gives a shit? No one that's who.
>>
File: 2797_6c9a_500.jpg (36 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
2797_6c9a_500.jpg
36 KB, 500x501
>>7507899
I take it you hold yourself to that standard with all other boards.
>>
>>7501721
on cast iron, High heat then turn off the burner
>>
Why is it such a prevalent view that the browning reactions occurring in a friend egg white are always burning?

Like, if you brown a piece of meat, is it burned now? Probably not, as we can acknowledge that the browning reactions add to the flavor.

I'm not arguing that one way or the other is better, but eggs fried with high heat that achieve some browning and crispness are surely no as bad as you are saying.

I like both.
>>
>>7508443
They aren't tasty like browned meat. They are wafery and horrible.
>>
>>7508443

"Burning" is obviously hyperbole, just to point out that cooking brown and crispy eggs is the same as ruining eggs.
>>
>>7508450
>>7508460
Really? Because I enjoy the crispy bits. Sometimes I prefer them without.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.