[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey so I have this flour that had a use by Oct 2015 date on it.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 2016-03-23 19.01.15.jpg (474 KB, 1060x1883) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-23 19.01.15.jpg
474 KB, 1060x1883
Hey so I have this flour that had a use by Oct 2015 date on it. Would it still be safe to use? It's been in a cool dry place and nothing's touched it since then.
I made pizza dough once and i wanted to practice again.
>>
It's perfectly fine, and you won't notice any off tastes or results even if they were there.

Just continue keeping it tightly sealed in a cool dry place and it'll be fine until you're ready to buy a new one.
>>
Honestly, just taste it and smell it. Rancid flour has a very distinct taste. If all seems normal, roll with it.
>>
>>7500179
Put your apron on bro and start baking some bread, I'm talking rolls and whole loaves of bread, better fire up the oven from now.
>>
>>7500220
What does it taste like?
Mine seems alright.
>>
Most grains are okay unless they have worms or weevils in them.
>>
>>7500228
you'll know if it was rancid
>>
>>7500179
As other anon have said, rancid flour is distinct. If you don't think it's rancid it probably isnt.

Best to use it up however you can though; no sense in it getting older.
>>
My mother in law puts her flour in the freezer.

She thinks its keeping it fresh, but I think it tastes like musty freezer-burnt ass.

The wierdest thing is that nobody in her house says they can taste any difference.
>>
I used baking powder that went off in 2012 and it was fine.
>>
I feel like making biscuits, i had a Popeyes one earlier and it was great.
But what to do with them all after. Hmm.
>>
How strict should I be with instant yeast packets? The ones I buy often have an expiry date of about 6 months, would they still work a few months after the expiry or should I chuck them?
>>
>>7500274
You can try putting it in a little warm water and see if it wakes up.

Worst case scenario is that the yeast is dead and will do nothing.
>>
>>7500266
Baking powder doesn't go rancid. It may lose some of its leavening power over time due to exposure to humidity.
>>
>>7500179
Protip: All-Purpose flour has only the endosperm of the wheat berry preserved in the milling process so it is basically inert like white sugar and will last for eternity if not exposed to moisture.

Only whole grain flours like whole wheat or some barely keep the entire grain including the fat-containing components that can go rancid.
>>
>>7501430
came to say this
>>
>>7500179
>Would it still be safe to use?
Flour will last a very long time unless it's exposed to moisture. I've used flour that was probably 10 years old, and it worked fine.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.