[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the official /ck/-approved method for roasting the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 3
File: roast_chicken.jpg (184 KB, 1024x732) Image search: [Google]
roast_chicken.jpg
184 KB, 1024x732
What's the official /ck/-approved method for roasting the perfect chicken?
>>
stuff an onion and carrots up its ass, rub with mustard, butter, sagem, rosemary and salt and pepper, roast at 375 for 90 minutes in a dutch oven, making sure the chicken is off the bottom
>collapsible steamer stw
>or cut off 2 beer cans
>>
>go to grocery store
>walk to poultry aisle
>skip it and pick up a rotisserie chicken

works 100% of the time all the time
>>
>>7500145
I want that crispy skin though
>>
>>7500145
This, it's probably cheaper to buy one at costco then cook one yourself. Rotisserie isn't easy to do at home. Otherwise I'd just debone a whole chicken, stuff it, roll that bitch up, and roast.
>>
Spatchcocked on a Weber kettle, indirect heat for 1 hour with the lid on. Usually around 375 degrees F.
>>
>>7500110
i feel like a raw chicken costs more than a roast chicken. if a roast chicken costs like 9$ at wal mart how much would a raw one cost hypothetically?
>>
>>7500110
I keep it simple.

>buy chicken
>rub with rock salt, black pepper, and sage
>stick it in the oven
>spoon drippings back over top every so often

done.
>>
Preheat the oven as hot as it will go, when you put the chook in turn it down to roasting temperature.
>>
>buy whatever chicken parts as long as they still have the skin on
>sprinkle salt and whichever seasoning mix you happen to have at the moment
>forget it in the oven while fapping furiously
>seriously death grip syndrome is not cool
>remember there's chicken in the oven
>eat delicious chicken

Pretty simple really.
>>
>>7500181
Get em on special. Alternately frozen chicken are almost ALWAYS on special where I'm from, and all you have to do is defrost them.

I picked up a 3lb bird for $6

If you have a local butchery you can often get the best birds for the best prices too, sadly since I moved to the city there's no fucking butchers to be found.
>>
>>7500176
mah nigga, also throw a chunk of apple or cherry wood onto the coals
>>
>>7500199
getting them on special seems unreliable. would prefer that they weren't frozen too. how much would an regular raw chicken cost at wal mart?
>>
>>7500110
The trick to really crispy skin is you have to dry the chicken out really well. so you should put lots of salt on it, sit it in an oven-dish on a trivet and put the oven on forced fan at like 220 degrees celcius and cook for at least 2 hours. amazingly crispy skin everytime.
>>
>>7500212
I'm not from burgerland but this interested me so I googled it.

http://debtblag.com/why-rotisserie-chickens-so-cheap/

Seems they do it as a loss leader.
>>
>>7500238
thanks anonette
>>
>>7500110
My method

>Let bird rest on counter for 30 mins, room temp fuckin crispy
>preheat oven to 500*
>butterfly chicken with kitchen shears! remove the back! wrap it in tinfoil
>place the chicken in a cast iron skillet or in a roasting pan on a wire rack
>put the breast in the middle of the pan and the thighs/legs and place them near the edge
The thighs should have the bulk of the meat up
>season liberally with salt&pepper or whatever else you prefer, no veg or anything that will add moisture to the oven, keep it dry
>roast for 50 mins to 1 hour
>remove chicken let it chill, in the pan (or add the drippings to a pan) fry some onions, add the drippings from the chicken back in the tinfoil
>caramelized onions as the base of the sauce! add other stuff if you like! best kept simple
>>
>>7500374
I usually make this with a salad and some honey mustard sauce. Chickens go on sale for 4-6$ at my grocery store all the time. Cooks 4 meals for ~$8 total (salad, chicken, onions, mustard, honey &mayo) and gives you a ton of protein. Also a 1 pan dish and active cook time is 15 mins incl salad and pan sauce.
>>
>>7500374
that sounds fantastic, when you say wrap it in tin foil do you mean wrap the bird and put it in the tray or put the bird in the tray then cover it with tin foil?

I don't have a wire rack so I was just going to chuck it on top of some potatos, kumara and onion to keep it off the bottom. That's not good?
>>
>>7500421
It's fine right on the pan desu. The tatoes will take away from the crispiness and absorb the juices for the pan sauce. You could boil them then mix em with butter and fresh erbs if you have nice potatoes. Otherwise I'd do em in a seperate pan, the pan sauce is really the glue that holds it together. Caramelized onion and chicken drippings mayne

Cook the chicken uncovered, but when you butterfly it, cut the back out. You should wrap the back in tinfoil, that way you get a lot of chicken liquid for your pan sauce.
>>
>>7500468
Why did it make me say desu...
>>
File: Chicken.jpg (111 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Chicken.jpg
111 KB, 960x720
Slather it with butter. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Throw it the oven at 500 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 for another hour.

Wa the fug La!
>>
>>7500154
>>7500145

Marinated birds are worth it if the marinade is good quality. The flesh will be super fucking tender, and it means you don't have to prepare it yourself, or risk contamination marinating yourself.

Also butterflied is goat.
>>
>>7500468
So cut the back out, wrap it in foil and put it alongside the rest of the chicken in the pan?

My potatoes are like month old agrias. These sweet potatos are fucking beautiful though, so I'm definitely roasting this shit up. Got some cabbage and peas to steam for a side and I'll try these caramelised onions.

>>7500473
word filter
>>
>>7500491
Marinades can add some great flavour but you'd be hard pressed to dry out a chicken if you follow a credible recipe. All that fat connective tissue & bone. Breasts maybe...

Any fav marinades? Any you think can stand some heat?
>>
>>7500496
I put the back on the rack in the oven. On the pan would work I use a cast iron skillet so no space. For the sauce have patience, onions might take like 10-12 mins, get em really brown, I do 2 medium onions and some wine if I have it. Adding a little cream as the onions cool gives it a nice southern touch.
>>
>>7500484
that sounds too easy to be true. Does it work without butter if I use oil, or like a canola oil buttermilk spread? (butter is really expensive here at the moment)
>>
Put chicken in cast iron skillet

Sprinkle with salt

Roast at 500 f for 1 hr.
>>
>>7500529
Butterfly it and make a caramelized onion & cream sauce
>>
>>7500496
Gotta let me know how it goes!
>>
>>7500110
going to publix and pick up a roasted chicken
>>
>>7500150
preheat oven to 225, slow reheat, crank to boil for a crisp on the finish
>>
i either roast it like others have said high heat then lower to finish, or i toss one on the smoker.

I get whole chicken every week they are on sale, around 99c a lb, get a 4 lb bird and I cook and eat it for the week, i normally eat the wings and a leg first night and save the rest for easy meals all week.
>>
>>7500633
>99c a lb
jesus where do you get birds that cheap?
>>
>>7500633
I live in a shît box condo, wish I could smoke birds... And other stuff

Idk about the finishing low temp. Just try 500 for an hour, it's like grilling a spatchcocked bird. Juicy in the breast, done in the thighs, crisp wings, yes

I eat the whole bird though while it's fresh, then I nap for 3 hours
>>
>>7500642
southern california
>>
>>7500642
they are 79c a lb quite often as well.
>>
>>7500672
Jeez, my last bird was $1.50/lb on special

I'm in bumfuck PA though and didn't know any better, clearly
>>
>>7500502
marinades:
adobo: soy sauce, ginger, garlic, vinegar
yucatan: achiote paste, sour orange juice
brine: sea salt, pepper, thyme
>>
10/10 chicken marinade basic recipe
>b-but portuguese
translate it faggots

>vinagre
>salsa
>tomilho
>sálvia
>aipo
>sal

marinade for 2-4h, remove from marinade, rub with butter and pepper, cook at 200C for 2 hours

make sure chicken is off the bottom
>>
>>7500745
You cook your chicken with salvia in portugal?
>>
>>7500176
+1
>>
>>7500745
can you please translate I don't understando
>>
>>7500110
If you want to go old-style, buy a spit.
>>
>>7500812

Salvia is sage. The scientific name is Salvia officinalis.
>>
>>7500580
Just finished eating. It turned out great! I'm gonna be butterflying my birds from now on.

Few hiccups:
-Skin got a bit burnt. A little char is nice but I had to turn it down half way through. Skin was so crispy and meat was succulent though.
-Onions were delicious, but I didn't really see any difference making them with the chicken fat compared to some butter or oil. Didn't really make much sauce either. Will probably use the same technique to make gravy next time instead
-My shitty kitchen shears broke cutting through some of the bone. That's why I get for not buying full metal ones, but they really did look good quality.
-Not a hiccup, but I crushed some garlic cloves and put them under the chicken where the meat contacted with the pan. Oh my god the thighs were just infused with the taste of garlic and it was delicious

All in all best roast I've made. Will butterfly again.
>>
Get some chicken leg quarters.
Preheat oven to 300F.
Pat chicken dry, then apply melted butter and lemon pepper.
Put chicken in a casserole dish, covered with foil.
Let it go for 80 minutes at that temp, basting every 20 minutes.
Take chicken out of the oven. Crank it up to 425F. Baste, then put it back in with the foil removed for 25 minutes.
Remove from oven and let it rest for 5 minutes.

Perfect chicken with deliciously crispy golden skin every time. Plus it's incredibly cheap.
>>
I like my chickens roasted. Put in at 475 for 5 hours, then turn down to 425 for another 3 hours. Delicious and juicy perfection.
>>
>>7500528
>Does it work without butter if I use oil
Yes
>or like a canola oil buttermilk spread?
No.
>>
Rotisserie. Salt, pepper, garlic, citrus and sage on the inside, salt and pepper on the outside, attach spit, mount over coals with a basting pan with a little water in it below, and then leisurely roast until temperature at thigh joint is 74'C yet the skin is also properly crispy.
>>
>>7501121
Sorry about your skin, glad you liked it otherwise, the simplicity is what gets me.
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 382x380) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 382x380
>>7501191
Fuck you, lol
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWLt6G85zC4
>>
>>7500110
spatchcock with indirect heat preferably via wood.
>>
Get chicken
Coat with an avocado oil
Rub down with Himalayan pink salt and aged white pepper
Pressure seal and sous vide
When done roast in oven at 500 F for 15 minutes
>>
>>7500745
>aipo
>not apio.

if you're you're gonna be a dick and not translate at least spell correctly
>>
>>7500154
I actually bought a rotisserie chicken at Costco recently and was really surprised at how good it was. It was seasoned great and super juicy.
>>
>>7500654
you don't even have a balcony for a small smoker?
>>
Nagasaki lager chicken.
Place a can of cooking lager, unopened, ring pull upwards. In a baking tray.
Impale chicken on top of can, arse downwards. Imagine it's your girlfriend.
Bake for 1 hr 30 or so. After about 25 mins the can will explode, anointing the inside of the chicken, and leaving you with a delicious hot lager gravy.
>>
>>7502333
Not legal in my city, live in the downtown core, plus there are 6 balconies above mine which belong to million dollar suites. I'm certain they would not approve of the smoke damage
>>
cook's illustrated recipe works best for me.

"The short story is: heat a 12-inch frying pan in a 450° oven. Dry, oil, salt & pepper a whole chicken. Set chicken in the hot frying pan breast side UP with meat thermometer. When breast meat reaches 120° or thigh at 135°, turn oven OFF (yes, really). Leave in oven until breast meat registers 160° or thigh 175°. Remove from oven, tent lightly 20 minutes. Carve and serve."

http://tastingspoons.com/archives/7299
>>
>>7500484
> 375 for another hour.
heh how american. enjoy your dry meat
>>
>>7500654
>>7500529
>>7500745
>>7503968
I guess i posted preemptively. Is /CK/ entirely populated by flyover shitters, and whatever the EU equivalent of that is (all of it?)

>>7503917
>>7501128
only half decent methods. I personally preheat the oven for 500F, put it in the oven and turn the oven off. Depending on how well the oven retains heat its usually done in ~2 hours. Cover with butter or duck fat and put it on broil for a few minutes if I want to crisp it up at the end.
>>
>>7501642
No worries man! Don't wanna sound like I'm coming down on the method, it was definitely the best bird I've ever done. Before when I'd done 'em I'd had problems with the breasts drying out or the center not being properly cooked. Butterflying really eliminates all those problems.

To be honest, it could likely be the thermostat on my old ass cooker. I'll just adjust the temps and stuff for next time.
>>
>>7500745
Google translate sucks b0ss
>>
>>7500110
Do a beer butt chicken
>>
>>7500238
This person sounds like a total cunt. Cuts off the guy talking to her and immediately demands a manager. That shit sets me off. So rude.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.