[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just made 7kg pulled pork in the sous vide today for the freezer.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 1350413469030.jpg (110 KB, 1083x1600) Image search: [Google]
1350413469030.jpg
110 KB, 1083x1600
Just made 7kg pulled pork in the sous vide today for the freezer. Normally I dont care about vaccuuming food, but today, just using regular ziplock bags, one of the bags with meat burst and it ruined a lot of the meat.

What should I look for in a vaccuum machine, and can I go for the absolutely cheapest piece of crap I can find, or do I need to go for something a little more pricey? I just want to cook 3kg/6lb slaps of meat in my sous vide and I really dont care about much else.
>>
>>7500026
>vaccuuming food
>>
>he didn't double bag
>>
>>7500026
Fucking cringy-est wine decanter EVER. The wine won't even be able to breathe in that thing. What the fuck are people thinking?
>>
>>7500054
Mmmmm, but it's art, isn't it? MMMMMMMMM
>>
>>7500059
Dysfunctional art, maybe. Idiotic? Certainly.
>>
>>7500054
The wine is decanted in the act of pouring, son.
>>
>>7500051
Doublebagging? Is that a thing I should be doing now?

Also, when I reheat the pulled pork in the sous vide for later consumption, should I add in the original juices from the cooking, or should I just let it cook, as is and add the juices later?
>>
>>7500026
That shit looks like it'll break at the latest when someone lifts it up and tries to pour a glass.
>>
>>7500026
what is this daedra shit? I want to see the bottle washer that can clean that.
>>
>>7500098
But is it FROM SUCH A HEIGHT?
>>
>>7500054
You are living in the age of ultra tolerance. If a wine decanter identifies itself as a tree branch, then it is a tree branch.
>>
>>7500026
I made a mistake, using that image instead of just an image of a sous vide or something, didnt I?
>>
>>7501550
Yes.
And I was really looking forward to learning about vacuuming food, too.
>>
>>7500026
How did the bag burst is the real question? How big were the bags? Were they shit bags? etc.

You can get by without a vacuum machine, just make sure what you are putting in the bags has cooled and that the bags aren't shit/over filled. You can push all the air out of a ziplock bag fairly easily just section off the food, fold and close. You don't need to force shit into bags or overfill them.
>>
>>7501587
They were decent quality, but when cooking at 70 degrees c, the seams apparantly couldnt hold it, even though I used a 6 litres bag for 2.5kg (5lb) meat. I have used smaller versions of them for steaks several times without problem, but now Im at the point where I just want a vaccuum machine, so I can cook and freeze easily and so that I can store food for longer in the fridge.

Usually I make do with double zip lock bags, sumberge them in the water so it pushes out all the air, and then seal them.
>>
>>7501598
Well there's your issue, you have a huge bag with heavy food and are heating it. The plastic is going to warp, melt, etc. Separate your food into smaller loads and take the food out when you want to cook it. Smaller loads mean you will take less food out and it won't go bad. If freezer space is an issue, you'd be better off buying a separate freezer.

Buy one if you want one, but it sounds like there are easier ways to go about it especially if you are strapped for cash and need the cheapest one you can find.
>>
>>7501610
Not really strapped for cash desu, but I hate spending 1000$ for somehting I could get just as good for 200$. I want a vaccuum for a number of reasons, sous vide being just one of them.

I just think the vaccuum market is a jungle to find your way in, so I decided that /ck/ would probably be a good place to ask people who know better.
>>
>>7501617
You can get one for 50 bucks. Honestly it's kinda disturbing that you've been using shitty ziplocks for cooking, most leech fairly badly. Spend what you want, it's not really that much of a jungle. Vacuuming is a simple market, buy a cheap average one, make sure bags won't leech. Or be a toss and buy a top of the line one, take into account how much a bag can hold and if it fills your needs. Just buy one, not that hard. /ck/ is for carbonara and fast food memes not purchase requests, just like /g/ the board is to shit talk about cooking, not customer reviews.
>>
>>7501617

There are two basic types of vacuum machines, anon. The "foodsaver" type, and the chamber-style, which is much more expensive.

Foodsaver (and its copies):
-machine is cheap
-must use special bags
-does not work with wet foods (like food packed with a marinade)
-relatively weak vacuum
-often comes with handy attachments for vac sealing mason jars, etc.

Chamber type:
-much more expensive
-can use any type of bag
-works with liquids and wet foods
-much stronger vacuum
>>
File: foodsaver.jpg (18 KB, 450x311) Image search: [Google]
foodsaver.jpg
18 KB, 450x311
>>7501657

"foodsaver" type looks like this. there are other brands too. the key detail is that the bag is outside the machine. these work great for dry foods but can't be used at all for things that are wet.
>>
File: chamber.jpg (18 KB, 330x355) Image search: [Google]
chamber.jpg
18 KB, 330x355
>>7501716
Chamber type looks like this.
>>
>>7501716
I saw a way to basically buy a roll of bags, where the machine seals both ends of the bags, meaning you can have as long or short a bag as you want. Is that something you need a special machine for, or is any foodsaver type able to use those kinds of bags?
>>
>>7501790

That's standard for the "foodsaver" type of sealer. You can buy pre-made bags of a fixed size or you can buy the rolls. The rolls are a lot more common in my experience. The "foodsaver" itself is what you use to seal the end of the bag. There are two "buttons" on the machine: one of them runs the sealer only. That's what you use to make bags. The other one runs the vacuum cycle and the sealer. That's the one you use when you've already put food in the bag. You don't need a special machine, that functionality is built in to even the cheapest 'foodsaver' model.
>>
>>7501831
Awesome thanks! And how about cost-to-quality ratio? Does it generally matter at all what you paid, or should you expect the really cheap ones to be super shitty?

Im looking at two different vaccuum machines atm and one is about twice the price of the other. It looks better too, but im not sure a slightly nicer look on something which will be in the pantry anwyay, is worth an extra 70$
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.