[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When Chefs Become Famous Cooking Other Cultures' Food
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: rickbayless.jpg (120 KB, 800x532) Image search: [Google]
rickbayless.jpg
120 KB, 800x532
Is Rick Bayless a sham? Just an american chef exploiting mexican cuisine?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/03/22/471309991/when-chefs-become-famous-cooking-other-cultures-food

I honestly don't care that much, I just hate that when whitey appropriates a cuisine, they usually jack the prices up and give it a shitty hipster branding.
>>
Back to tumblr with you faggot
>>
>>7496381

That's not unique to "whitey", just about every fancy restaurant does that.

High end sushi bars charge serious money for a fancy version of what was originally a street-food peasant dish. Ditto for fancy banquets in Chinese cooking. Last night I was watching a Munchies "Chef's Night Out" about a chef from a Michelin starred restaurant in Mexico. Their food was pretty much the same: a fancy version of peasant food with a massive price tag.
>>
And him being white is a problem because...?

Hispanics cook up chinese food at various restaurants, and Arabs were cooking meat at a Mongolian grill. Neither me nor my asian family gave a fuck. Food is food, a piece of chicken will taste different based on the spices and herbs, not whether or not the cook had pasty skin. As long as they don't claim to be the origin or the highest authority there's no problem .
>>
>>7496384
I don't even care desu I just hate that they charge more for "authentic" cuisine when I can go to some shitty hole in the wall Mexican or Asian restaurant and pay half the price.
>>
>>7496381
Kill yourself. jknsa
>>
as long as the chefs of those countries can become famous cooking the food of countries other than theirs, i don't see a problem.

obviously there is a problem if the entire world is in thrall to white people espousing their limited understanding of global culture. but i'm not sure that's actually the case. and if that is the case, maybe that's just because white people have the resources to make more interesting TV out of it.
>>
>>7496381
Just doing the jobs Mexicans don't want to do!
>>
I ate at one of his cheaper restaurants recently and the food was legit. I got up to go to the bathroom at one point and bumped into him in full chef whites talking to the table behind me.

Didn't read the article, but I don't see how he's any different than Batali making Italian food or Ramsey making French.
>>
>>7496402
>>7496442
>>7496521
Italian people and French people are also white (or as I like to call them, The root of all evil satanspawn murderkin culture appropriators) so nobody cares.

However, white people cooking, enjoying, and popularizing the food of REAL people like mexicans, blacks, or muslims is disgusting, racist, and in my and many other objective opinions, morally wrong and inhuman.
>>
>>7496381
>Just an american chef exploiting mexican cuisine?
Literally every high class restaurant in the world "exploits" French cuisine in one way or another. "Exploiting" is the name of the game.
>>
>>7496381
Except Bayless actually went and lived in Mexico for years to learn the cuisine. It's better than a lot of chef tourists who visit for a couple of months and think they're experts.
>>
>>7496598
This guy fucks

Just think about all those Japanese chefs that study in France and Italy before bringing it all back to the home country. We gonna bitch about that?

Foreigners should be flattered
>>
>>7496381
>I just hate that when whitey appropriates a cuisine

I'm about as leftist as you can get, but this is complete bullshit. Beyond something like taking a dish from another culture and passing it off as your own original contribution to another cuisine, food is one of the least appropriable aspects of culture.
>>
>>7496603
Pretty much. If your cuisine is so influential other people want to study it and bring it to your country, that's a compliment. It shows that your country produces food that people on the other side of the world want to eat. Whether it's French chefs making French style karaage or Japanese chefs making Japanese Green Tea Crème Brûlée doesn't matter.
>>
Although, Bayless saying he brought Mexican food to California was pretty amusing.
>>
>>7496606
You cut off my sentence
>>
File: menu.png (72 KB, 777x938) Image search: [Google]
menu.png
72 KB, 777x938
>>7496617
On a side note, how do you guys feel about fusion cuisine? I honestly enjoy some of it but I've seen a lot of anons get assblasted when muh authentic tacos get out of the norm fillings.

Pic related
>>
>>7496623
>can't even spell banh mi

Looks like fucking garbage, sempai.
>>
>>7496626
I think they did that intentionally for some reason. The food is decent there but people in my city are unnecessarily obsessed with this place. I only go back there for the japadog, and it's cheap/open late.
>>
Like any other kind of food, some of it is great and some of it sucks.

I think the idea that one needs to be limited to traditional ingredients and recipes is silly. There's no reason not to consider using foreign ingredients and cooking methods if they improve the dish. On the other hand, just because it's "fusion" doesn't mean that it's automatically good.
>>
>>7496596
you cant exploit french cuisine...its a power cuisine in the sence that french cooking was a piece of european collonialism and imperialism....it was trendy and a sign of status

so non white cooks doing french cuisine fits into imperial naratives

a white cook tking the cuisine of under privilaged nation and getting famous for it is a very different dynamic, it ignores histories of how imigrants were often treated and how their food was cheapened and margenalized as part of racist systems....which limits the oportunitiesof chefs of that ethnicity becuase they have to deal with the long standing expectations that their cuisine is cheap and dirty....wheras when a white guy does it he is given more credibility and voice by the media and culture

teurope systematicly imposed its cuisine in one way or another on much of the world so it cant be apropriated
>>
>>7496623
>how do you guys feel about fusion cuisine?

Sometimes it's good sometimes it's shit, just like anything else.
>>
>>7496579
>"look at me, I just discovered /b/ this week"
>>
OP is racist.

Eat a dick, OP.
>>
>>7496645
>you cant exploit french cuisine
But you can exploit Japanese cuisine?
>>
>>7496645

You can construe your post-colonial narrative however you want (not really though), but don't drag food into it.

Colonialism, throughout the ages, is the reason most people eat as well as they do, and is responsible for the best cuisines in the world.

Politics aside, everyone has to eat, and when people are forced to live together they create new foods. "Authenticity" is a myth. Good food is good food.
>>
Bayless is more mexican those most living here and has a lot of respect and love for the cuisine of mexico. Also mexican isn't a race it is a nation of mixed people.
>>
File: 1446462009744.gif (2 MB, 243x316) Image search: [Google]
1446462009744.gif
2 MB, 243x316
>>7496579

Trolling a slow board? Really?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.