[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Grilled Cheese
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
Just made this one. Simple mozzarella, tomato, and sundried tomato turkey.

What's the best grilled cheese you've ever had?
What's your go-to?
Do you have any grilled cheese pet-peeves?
>>
>>7496134
That's not a grilled cheese...
>>
>>7496134
>sundried tomato turkey

DROPPED
>>
>>7496134
>sundried tomato turkey.
why?
>>
>>7496142
Why don't you like sundried tomato turkey?
>>
>>7496142
why not?
>>
>>7496134
>What's the best grilled cheese you've ever had?
I make this every few months:

-fresh baked German rye bread
-at least two kinds of soft French cheese like Brie & St. Andre (or whatever looks good and funky at the market)
-short rib meat braised in red wine
-a sauce made from a reduction of caramelized shallots, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire, and port or brandy.

Awesome, but also so rich that you'd swear it off for a while before wanting another one.
>>
>>7496151
Sundried tomatoes are horrible.
>>7496156
No reason to put turkey on a grilled cheese. No reason to ever have turkey and cheese together.
>>
>>7496134
I spread mayo in the outsides of the bread

for cheese I use a mix of mild cheddar sharp cheddar and fontina

pretty basic but always delicious
>>
>>7496134
>What's the best grilled cheese you've ever had?
American cheddar with oysters and sriracha.
>>
>>7496163
You're my grilled cheese pet peeve
>>
>>7496157
that sounds amazing. I'm going to have to try it out some time!
>>
>>7496134
sharp cheddar, baby swiss and tomato
the way the two cheeses blend together is just sublime. it's so fantastic.
>>
>>7496387
Another good one:

Sourdough bread
Goat cheese or Feta
Sliced pears dusted with sugar and then caramelized in a skillet
Bacon

Like the other one with the short rib meat the key is combining something really rich (the cheese and meats) with a sweet and acidic component (the sauce or fruit)
>>
I usually use Gouda cheese and whatever ham/haslet i have on hand.

I always fry mine in butter, i hate toastie makers, but panini makers are bearable...

My favourite is Gouda and Mild cheddar on white bread, with a clove of roasted garlic smashed into one of the slices of bread, simple and tasty.
>>
adding meat automatically makes it not a grilled cheese, god damn you people are stupid.
>>
>>7496473

Why? Does the meat magically make the cheese vanish? Or does it somehow undo the "grilled" part? Or are you just being silly?
>>
>>7496134
I never had grilled cheese in my life but I wanted to try it tomorrow
Thought about putting gouda and maybe bacon on it
Should I make some tomato soup with it?
>>
>>7496512
It makes it a grilled sandwich. Grilled cheese means a sandwich that is cheese, grilled. When you start adding other shit that isn't cheese, cheese become an ingredient, not the focus. As is the case with every sandwich that contains cheese. It's just a grilled sandwich.
>>
>>7496535
What if just start calling them toasties.
>>
>>7496134
Why do you call it grilled cheese? To begin with there is no cheese in it if you are an American. Wouldn't a suitable name be grilled r fried sandwich?
>>
>>7496548
Where do you live that you don't have cheese?
>>
File: 7a3.jpg (7 KB, 258x211) Image search: [Google]
7a3.jpg
7 KB, 258x211
>>7496535
I'm glad we have people like you to help establish these important distinctions - truly we'd have stayed in the dark forever, making grilled sandwiches with cheese that we thought were grilled cheeses with other components!
>>
>>7496134
Thin sliced pear and smoked gouda.
Extra sharp cheddar with a thick slab of ham.
Tomato soup of course.
>>
>>7496552
That plastic thing called American cheddar or whatever isn't cheese. Even if it was real cheese in OP pic I don't see how it even remotely can be called grilled cheese. It's a fried sandwich with melted cheese product and other ingredients in it. Do you for example call a hamburger for grilled beef?
>>
>>7496571
>That plastic thing called American cheddar or whatever isn't cheese
We know. You can buy real cheese in the US too bro.

>I don't see how it even remotely can be called grilled cheese
>grilled
Do you know what a plancha grill is, anon? That's where the name comes from: it's a cheap food that a diner-type restaurant would make on the plancha grill aka griddle. When people started making them at home they kept the same name even though they use a pan. you know, since most homes don't have plancha grills.

>Do you for example call a hamburger for grilled beef?
No. But we don't call it a hamburger sandwich either. Just like with "grilled cheese" the word "sandwich" is understood and thus gets dropped during normal conversation.
>>
>>7496584
I see. A name that evolved similar to the hamburger depending on which story you go with. The name grilled cheese is odd for non-natives though compared to hamburger that is now a universal name.
>>
>>7496134
Grilled cheese has 3 ingredients:bread, cheese, spread. You made a "melt"
>>
4 year old sharp cheddar and provolone on seeded rye fried in butter.
>>
>>7496535
>autism
>>
Here's mine:
>Sharp cheddar
>Goat cheese crumbles
>Dried cranberries
>Basil
Eat my asshole
>>
>>7496134
thought it was a bleeding pussy
>>
Swiss + ham, and grate Parmesan on the bread before flipping it.
>>
>>7496134
putting things other than just cheese into a grilled cheese is my pet peeve
>>
>mayo on the outside of the bread
>couple of thick slices of mozzarella
>spread some pesto on the inside
>place in pan until golden brown on both sides

How'd I do, /ck/?
>>
>>7496134
Try Havarti instead of Mozzerella next time. Havarti + Turkey is a god-tier meat-cheese combo.
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 434x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 434x640
>>
File: image.jpg (220 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
220 KB, 800x533
>>
a single slice of mild cheddar
pop it into the toaster oven for 2 minutes
wa la :)
>>
File: 20160207_144603.jpg (623 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
20160207_144603.jpg
623 KB, 1440x2560
>>7497424
oops
>>
>>7497424
That has bread and meat. Not a single slice of mild cheddar in a toaster oven...
>>
>>7496134
i put peanut butter and honey on some soft white bread, and fry it in a pan with butter. it's my favorite grilled cheese.
>>
>>7497439
see >>7497431
>>
>>7496719
This desu; I get a goat cheese that already has cranberries in it from wegmans. Use 15 grain pepper ridges farm bread lightly buttered.Use kettle cooked jalapeno chips as well they give it a nice crunch.
>>
>>7497392
Looks like a 12 year old cooked it; terrible.
>>
>>7496535
Fuckimg reddit tier distinctions going on here. If the cheese is grilled then its a fucking grilled cheese
>>
>>7496473
You're right dude, once meat is added the cheese becomes a topping and the sandwich is a grilled turkey or some other
>>
>>7497819
Why does the cheese become a topping? What makes meat more important than cheese?
>>
>>7497819
Having a conversion with someone I would say "I made a grilled cheese with some turkey and avocado". It conveys the message and seems less odd than saying "I made a fried turkey sandwich with avocado and lots of provolone/swiss/mozzarella"
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.