[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am going to be working a contract in Texas for a year. What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: StateofTexas.jpg (661 KB, 3264x2680) Image search: [Google]
StateofTexas.jpg
661 KB, 3264x2680
I am going to be working a contract in Texas for a year. What are the best places to eat in San Antonio, Austin and Houston?
>>
>>7495993
Get ready for good beef BBQ, great Viet food and a lot of cheeseburgerized Mexican.
>>
>>7495993

Whataburger
>>
Best state in the union thread?
>>
You're in for a lot of cuisine. I'm between San Antonio and Austin frequently.
>>
In Austin, go to Aster's Ethiopian Restaurant, Asia Cafe, Chinatown and Southside Market (a little outside Austin). In Houston, get a huge box of empanadas at Marini's Empanada House and mail it to me.

Buy both groceries and prepared foods at HEB. I like their fried chicken.
>>
>>7495993
Houston here, Pearland/Friendswood to be more exact.

Lots of excellent Tex Mex, even though it's meme status on this board there are still great teximex places all over the city at all areas. Avoid chain texmex like Gringos and Casa Ole etc.

Chef Killen opened up his bbq joint a couple years back here in pearland, everyday from about 9-noon there is a ridiculous line to get food so I've never had it. But it's gotta be good. I prefer Joe's bbq down in Alvin since I'm not a fan of Central TX bbq down the street from killens place.

Houston also has great seafood, if you ever go down to Galveston hit up Gaidos for pricy or Shrimp n Stuff for a cheaper but still good option.

There are about as many Vietnamese places as there are nail salons (also run by viets) and I've never been to a bad one. Personal favorite is Pho Yen in Friendswood.

Italian is plentiful, Angelo's in clear lake and Mario's in kemah or Galveston location is top tier pizza.
>>
And I also forgot to mention. HEB has some ridiculously good produce, do not underestimate them. Even the sushi those Koreans make in store is good.
>>
>>7496520

That they do, but note that not all HEBs are created equal. Where I currently live in TX there are no less than 4 HEBs and they are all different.

One is like a warehouse store like costco or sam's club. They have warehouse-type shelving, a low selection, very little produce, and the rest of the food is sold in large wholesale type packages.

Another is in the Hispanic part of town. Has a WORLD CLASS produce department, really good seafood, and a massive variety of meats, including a lot of the harder-to-find cuts. On the other hand their cheese section is awful, and they don't have any premium meats like USDA prime steaks, grass-fed/free range, etc.

3rd has a produce department not quite but nearly as good as the aforementioned. Has a fucking awesome butcher counter. Plenty of free-range meats, Exotic species. USDA prime steaks. Very good seafood. Very good cheese selection with all sorts of imported stuff. Well-stocked International isle.

Last one has a small produce department, large meat department. Has Prime beef but no oddball stuff, no organ meats. Massive beer/wine selection, also massive frozen foods section.
>>
>>7495993
Enjoy dealing with ignorant rednecks and Trump supporters.
>>
>>7496334

HEB for life
>>
>>7496625

He said Austin fampai, it's basically San Francisco
>>
>>7496625
Austin runoff and the Mexicans make the state less Trump friendly than you would think
>>
>>7496625
Texas votes Republican but the general attitude feels more libertarian.
>>
>>7496722
savage
>>
>>7496625
>implying Texas won't crash the electoral college with a Ted Cruz write-in

OP should buddy up with the rednecks, as they will likely be generous and good at barbecue.
>>
>>7496722
>Houston
>beanertown v2

You spelled niggsville wrong
>>
>>7496809
I never found a "normal" place I fit in in Houston. The areas are either straight puro Mexico, overgrown rundown nigger areas, or extremely wealthy and exclusive white areas. As far as I can tell normal middle class predominantly white neighbourhoods are nowhere to be found in that city.
>>
>>7496821
>As far as I can tell normal middle class predominantly white neighbourhoods are nowhere to be found in that city.

I live in one

there are a lot of asians though, and quite a few blacks

also I'm not white

>I never found a "normal" place I fit in in Houston. The areas are either straight puro Mexico, overgrown rundown nigger areas, or extremely wealthy and exclusive white areas.

actually you just might be retarded
>>
>>7496829
I'm talking about Houston proper, I'm sure there are cities in the general area that are normal middle class neighbourhoods. Name a regular area inside the beltway though. The closest thing I found was Spring Branch and it was very Hispanic.
>>
>>7496829
he's not wrong though

coming from a smaller town, houston seems 90% non-white, 5% rich white and 5% blandwhitepeopleville who go to to many shitty restaurants.
>>
File: this area.jpg (103 KB, 823x586) Image search: [Google]
this area.jpg
103 KB, 823x586
>>7496843
>>7496851

alright well we can agree to disagree

while we're talking about h-town, does anyone if there's a name for the area north of clay, west of the beltway, east of highway 6, south of 290?
>>
>>7495993
SAfag here. I like to take out of town friends to La Tuna. It's a well known restaurants in one of those neighborhoods that's on it's way to being gentrified. Food is good and there's live music on weekends and then we can hit tourist traps downtown. Their fish tacos are great. Get fried mushrooms w gravy for an appetizer.

For authentic mexican food just go to any hole in the wall on the west side. For brisket or soul food check out the Rib House B Q on old hwy 90. Chunkies burgers if you wanna be an absolute fatass. J Anthony's if you want seafood. Henry's Puffy Tacos if you want puffy tacos.
>>
>>7496867
If it has a name I've never heard of it. I've actually never seen that part of town, or even given it any thought at all. Considering how large the area is now I'm curious.
>>
>Not getting to go to Dallas, the only good city in Texas
>>
>>7495993
Definitely take the chance to try the Thai and Vietnamese restaurants in Houston. Besides that, Mexican is always a safe bet. It's TexMex, but that's way better than authentic Mexican food anyway.
>>
>>7496513
I like casa ole
>>
>>7495993
go to torchys tacos in either austin or houston. Best tacos I've ever had by far. Obama even made a visit last week
>>
>>7497084
They are good but overpriced and overrated and kitschy. Nothing against them but its really babbies first good taco. But since op isn't from here I'd recommend it to him and tourists.
>>
>>7497084
When the president goes to eat food not prepared in the White House, what precautions do they take to make sure it's safe for him to eat?

Not in ISIS btw. ;)
>>
>>7497132
Secret Service will visit the day before, vet the staff, tour the building, making special note of entrances and exits, and formulating a security plan. Had this happen at a retail store I managed, I'm sure with food they check suppliers as well.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.