[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There is no food shortage. The biotech industry wants you to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (290 KB, 1152x1152) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
290 KB, 1152x1152
There is no food shortage. The biotech industry wants you to believe ther is and that they are the only one to save you. This is all lies. Organic farming has proven to be just as productive as GMO farming. Don't follow the media and its lemmings. Think for yourself. Research for yourself.

http://www.independentsciencenews.org/environment/how-the-great-food-war-will-be-won/

http://foodintegritynow.org/2015/01/29/dismantling-big-lie-gmos/
>>
http://thehill.com/sponsored-content?prx_t=3A4CA-s8FAx9EMA&prx_ro=s
>>
>>7493920
Doesn't everyone know this though? I mean it's so transparent especially when the shills start claiming that DNA splicing is the same thing as mechanized agriculture and if you think it's weird that farmers should be arrested for saving seed, you are a Jenny McCarthy tier moonbat
>>
>>7493920

>don't follow the media
>read these links
>>
there'd sure as fuck be a food shortage without gmos
>>
>>7493957
there's not a food shortage BECAUSE of GMOs.

>if you think it's weird that farmers should be arrested for saving seed...

don't mix up the economic/political side with the scientific. everyone knows monsanto is evil and the way they're running their business is unethical, but the science is sound and genetically modified foods are perfectly fine for anyone to eat.

people who think GMOs are unhealthy or somehow bad for you are retarded. do you think guys in hazmat suits are out in the fields injecting tomatoes with syringes?
>>
>>7493920
>Organic farming has proven to be just as productive as GMO farming

lel
>>
>>7493994
You dont educate yourself much. You are part of the problem.
>>
>>7493994
>don't mix up the economic/political side with the scientific
says the shill who claims that anyone who doesn't believe that rapacious biotech firms are literally jesus ejaculating on humanity's face is, by definition, against science
>>
>>7493994
There's a food shortage because of logistics, political adversity, and poor personal decisions.
>>
There will also be a food shortage unlike the world has ever seen due to the overuse of pesticides and herbicides and the destruction of the minerals in our soils making frowning food impossible.
>>
>>7494070

>pesticides
>causing a food shortage by preventing bugs from eating our crops

Do you have a degree in chemistry, biology, agriculture, engineering, genetics, medicine, or some combination of the above?

If not, please refrain from going to .orgs and pretending you're educated.
>>
>>7493994

We can mostly just use more roundup because of GMOs. We'd be using other (probably more harmful) pesticides for much the same yields.

Now whether organic farming could produce as much as pesticide based farming, I doubt it. A lot of the success of organic farming depends on just being able to spray and sell the produce as non organic when necessary (that is when they don't just outright lie of course).
>>
>>7494090
>not understanding the pivotal role played by many insect taxa in pollinating a substantial amount of our crops

Do you have a degree in chemistry, biology, agriculture, engineering, genetics, medicine, or some combination of the above?

If not, please refrain from going to .orgs and pretending you're educated.
>>
>>7494143

>shitposts face when I actually do
>>
>>7494167
Don't we all
The point is that in a free discussion, dismissing arguments based on whether you paid to learn information one can easily find for free is moot, especially if you do it while demonstrating the gaps in your own knowledge, muggins
>>
>>7494143
I have a doctorate in horticulture. I know what i speak.
>>
>>7494199

>find for free

You realize whatever 'knowledge' you learned on those conspiracy theotard websites is all bunk because none of it is backed up with real research, right?

You realize that real research is 99% of the time locked behind paywalls that you generally get past for free by being part of a university or a corporation that deals with that area of research, right?

You still haven't told us what degree you have that gives you the authority to speak about this subject matter, however.

Protip, high school diplomas and GEDs don't count.
>>
>>7494202
Good for you, that doesn't mean people can't go on Web of Science or similar and find credible info to bring into the discussion
Also what the anon meant with the pesticide point is that their ecological effects include wiping out pollinator populations that are essential for cultivating many crops. Since you dismissed the notion that in this way insecticides negatively affect certain food supplies, or at least didn't address it, I assumed you didn't know about it
>>
>>7494227

>web of science

lol, explains everything
>>
>>7494210
Does fair on the paywall point, but I still don't believe you need a degree to contribute to a discussion, and you can easily be wrong or inaccruate with one
I have a biology degree, since I apparently need one to talk about conspiracies on a mongolian linoleum etching forum such as this
>>
File: 1455392262130.jpg (159 KB, 1916x1074) Image search: [Google]
1455392262130.jpg
159 KB, 1916x1074
some overproduction is necessary for the short-term to compensate for the lack of organization that is the fundamental cause of shortages on local scale.

also, that 14B figure is suspect.
what are they going by?

humans need more than a minimum survivable necessary calories..

they need foods containing enough calories and a variety of other nutrients necessary to live the best quality of life.
and those food products need to be grown where they can be cost-effectively transported to where they are needed.
they also generally need to take into account the cultural-dietary sensibilities of the people consuming the foods.
it's also necessary to take into account that some nations' means to achieve food security mean growing a surplus than what they use to provide for their needs in cases of disasters / warfare (blockades, &c.).
most of all, nor is all the current farming we do sustainable from an ecological perspective. We need to minimize negative impact on our ecosystems in the long term.

growing a surplus of corn in the US doesn't do much for poor farming communities in India that can't afford to waste money on imports. shouldn't have to live off of one crop, and are a rice culture to boot.
>>
>>7493994
>injecting tomatoes with syringes
Sounds like somebody put a syringe in a syringe and they're injecting it into a tomato
>>
>>7494248
As everyone knows, syringes are the leading cause of autism
This is exactly why we need to get rid of the mexicans
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haber_process

The green revolution (GMO as we know it today) and abundant "cheap" ammonia saved the lives of billions in developing countries after World War 2.
>>
>>7493920
>Organic farming has proven to be just as productive as GMO farming.

This is demonstrably untrue. As in, you can literally demonstrate it to yourself by growing a backyard garden and doing one plot organic, with heirloom seeds and one plot using artificial fertilizer, pesticides, and modern seed.

One is going to be a lot simpler and have a lot higher yield, and it isn't the organic one.
>>
>>7494246
That's a really long walk to take to say [citation needed]
>>
>>7494432
>the haber process is GMO and Borlaug invented transgenic methods in the 1940s
There it is. Goebbels tier propaganda
>>
>>7494432
Yeah and what'll happen once our global phosphorus reserves run low?
>>
>>7494463
>organic, with heirloom seeds
>artificial fertilizer, pesticides, and modern seed

There's no requirement to grow organic with heirloom seeds and non-organic with "modern" seeds, broseph.
>>
>>7493920
Like every day you make one of these threads. And every time, you don't provide a single piece of primary literature. I think the closest you ever came was a few links to studies that have long since been retracted or shown to be unsubstantiated.
And yeah, I'm sure your immediate retort is "Monsanto shills and scientists in the pocket of Big Ag", but it doesn't change the fact that all you ever have is a handful of numbers you unceremoniously mangled together from multiple reports and contextless google searches. Like that is supposed to be solid, conclusive evidence in lieu of an actual study.
Fuck, if you are going to waste time with fluff pieces that belong more in /pol/ than in /ck/, at least try upping your game to something remotely challenging. Here, try this:
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/science-sushi/httpblogsscientificamericancomscience-sushi20110718mythbusting-101-organic-farming-conventional-agriculture/

Holy shit! Would you look at that! An opinion piece that cite primary literature. Fuck, and it only took me 5 min to find and check.
>>
>>7493920
>Science is the devil!
No mama. You're just comfortable enough to not feel like advancement is necessary. GMO food is the next step in farming techniques, a step up from selectively breeding plants.

I don't think anybody believes there's a food shortage, anyway. Most people know that a lot of food is wasted, but we still have enough to have most people in developed countries be overweight.

People are just scared of disease and cancer, and they think that if they avoid unhealthy foods they'll stay healthy. But you'll still get sick and die eventually. Even if you eat organic, gluten-free, sugar alternative, lactose free vegan food.
>>
>>7496651
>There's no requirement to grow organic with heirloom seeds and non-organic with "modern" seeds, broseph.

Except he's talking about both organic and GMO. In any case even if you used the same seed you'd do worse on the organic side.
>>
>>7496738
Science is not the devil. Monsanto is. Growing GMO crops for the sole purpose of selling pesticides and robbing the soil of its minerals is criminal. Not to mention their best selling herbicides main ingredient (glyphosate) has been called carcinogenic by the World Health Organization. There are lawsuits all over the world and the US against monsanto for Roundup causing cancer. I wonder if they are going to get a free ride like they got with poisoning our waterways with PCBs. Congress just passed a bill with a rider that lets Monsanto off the hook. Control the food you control the people.
>>
>>7497425
Anyone who doesn't unreservedly support literally everything Monsanto does before they've even done it is, by definition, a Jenny McCarthy tier moonbat who hates science and wants poor people to die.
>>
>>7493920
>blaming science instead of capitalism
Howcucked.ru
>>
>>7493994
They literally splice DNA from other fucking animals and insect species into the plants.... you don't think that's fucked up? ??
>>
>>7498886
No, why would it be? Genes don't have some kind of mystical animal-ness or insect-ness that can remain when it's spliced into food, they just make proteins.
>>
>think for yourself

No retard. That's the problem, idiots with absolutely no knowledge or credentials think they know better than actual scientists. Get a degree or fuck off
>>
File: 1458435453663.jpg (52 KB, 600x464) Image search: [Google]
1458435453663.jpg
52 KB, 600x464
The real problem are third world countries birth rates.
>>
File: corn-and-teosinte_h1.jpg (539 KB, 2400x1560) Image search: [Google]
corn-and-teosinte_h1.jpg
539 KB, 2400x1560
>>7498886
>hey literally splice DNA from other fucking animals and insect species into the plants

Perhaps for certain research applications, but that's not what's happening with crops that are actually fed to people.

>>.... you don't think that's fucked up? ??
No, not really. Two reasons.
1) We already have acheived massive changes in species by simply breeding them. For example consider all the different dogs that mankind created from their wolf ancestors. Another great example is the creation of modern corn from teosinte, pic related. In that context GMOs are not very surprising at all.

2) I realize the difference between a shocking headline discussing a one-time experiment vs. what's actually in GMO crops.
>>
>>7493994
Fucking THANK YOU. GMOs are not solely to produce MORE food, either, GMO crops can produce food faster, in case of a situation of dire need, such as if they were being grown on another planet (don't think the scientists aren't thinking ahead), crops that are more resistant to disease (in order to prevent some crop from being completely wiped out) or simply crops that are tastier, or are easier to digest (fart-free beans, anyone?)
>>
Nobody even remotely educated has ever suggested there was a food shortage you fucking idiot, its the lack of ways of getting it out. There is no distribution network robust enough to make sure everyone has their fill on time.
>>
>>7498920
Allergic reactions are hard enough to pinpoint with untampered food. When biotech companies start swapping out genes from other species and then lobby to hide the facts from the stupid antivaxxer sheeple, welcome to a new era of no one even knowing what they're allergic to, we just trust that it's morally good because biotech shareholders got rich and anyone with an allergy should suffer in the name of false progress.
>>
>>7499051

While I agree with you in principle, the problem is that the vast majority of GMO production is for the purpose of more/faster yield. Nobody is using GMOs to make foods tastier, though they certainly could.
>>
>>7494143
Daily reminder many plantations abandoned bees a long time ago for migrant workers with fucking paint brushes.

Not only is this cheaper, its less of a hassle, creates more jobs for blue collar people, but also increases yields.

WE DON'T NEED FUCKING BEES.
>>
>>7499070
Good point, I agree with the sentiment, but we also shouldn't let bees die out because of our futzing with the environment. I'm not even saying we need to, like, go all Chozo or nothing, but maybe make some Bee preserves somewhere so they don't go extinct.
>>
>>7499068
GMO shills are like people who defend the idea of a pure communistic system
>let's just ignore all the actual problems, those wouldn't exist if my fantasy version of reality was true
Sorry shill but genocides and blanketing all the arable land known to man with glyphosate isn't my idea of something we should just dismiss with a wave of the hand
>>
>>7493920
You're sort of like the mentally ill people who post far out shit on Craigslist, aren't you?
>>
>>7499068
>Nobody is using GMOs to make foods tastier, though they certainly could.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_rice

Let's not save children from vitamin A deficiency because transgenics make me feel funny.
>>
>>7499093
The bee egg/sperm genetic bank will save the bees don't worry. Soon honey farmers and farmers who need pollinators will be able to order exact strains tailored to their specifications.
>>
>>7499622
>if you think starlink corn doesn't taste great, you literally want to blind orphans
do you shills not experience shame like humans do?
>>
>>
>>
>>7499051
they can also be used to create crops that are less picky about the environment they're grown in, which is useful for third worlders since their countries are all arid shitholes
>>
File: IMG_2084.jpg (67 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2084.jpg
67 KB, 700x525
>>7496717
god damnit this article is based, not the person you where replying to. but Honestly everything in this article is basically my entire stance on the situation.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.