[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Really broke people recipes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: collegefood.jpg (15 KB, 236x236) Image search: [Google]
collegefood.jpg
15 KB, 236x236
All those shitty buzzfeed like websites offer "budget recipes for broke people" thats only 8$ to make. Oh please, my current budget lets me spend 1-2$ for food per day. And yes, it is possible to live that way. I will get a job in 2-3 weeks, but i've been living this way for almost a year now. The trick is buying stuff that costs almost nothing: eggs, potatos, rice (all cheapest brands, of course). I buy some cheap vitemin supplements occasionally. They last pretty long, so it's a good investment. I know I won't live long eating only ramen, so I try to be really inventive with my cheap-ass food. That made a really good cook, since 95% of my food is home cooked.

Can anyone relate to this? What are the cheapest ingredients to turn into a "decent" meal?
>>
Find a staple grain and then work around it. My staple grains are wheat, buckwheat and oatmeal. I make my own sourdough bread daily and eat oatmeal or buckwheat daily. Then around that I buy food according to health of stick-to-ribsness. That's usually more bread and veggies and nutritional supplements that I've built a stock of.
>>
>>7492018
And what do you do for protein? After a couple days of not getting any protein I start to feel constantly hungry. Is it possible to get used to living without it?
>>
>>7492005
beans, boullion cubes, chicken, minced beef, some form of green vegetable and red vegetable. Build from there.
>>
bulk buy grains

find a multipurpose seasoning you like, for me its soy sauce

my cheap protein is eggs, do them anyway you want with your grain

veggies can simply be frozen mixed veggies, stock up when theirs a sale, and fresh ingredients you get should be on sale or at your local asian market

meat only when its on sale, or if you can afford it, learn to work an entire chicken, sometimes they can go for 99 cents per pound, very good bang for your buck, some protein throughout the week, and you can save the bones and scraps for stock
>>
>>7492111
Your post deserves those trips.
>>
>learn to work an entire chicken, sometimes they can go for 99 cents per pound

This. Try to learn this skill. It's very easy once you get the hand of it (it took me 3 chickens). You can freeze and make your own broth for pennies.

What can be helpful too is getting a pressure cooker. Cooking times (and bills) go down the hill. For instance, you can cook tough (hence cheap) beef cuts in 1/2 an hour, obtaining beef that you can eat with a spoon. The same with cheap dry beans, lentils, etc.

Pulled beef or pork will be your new best friends.
>>
>>7492029
Depends. Lunch meat (which is expensive imo). Beans are best because they are cheap af. I think it is possible to live without it to an extent. I don't purposely eat protein to keep from being hungry but whenever I am is good to have the above mentioned on hand to keep my hunger from getting out of hand.

>>7492111
This guy knows.
>>
I have a chart with the local price per calorie/protein/nutrient for all the relevant foods. Calories are the baseline to avoid starvation, protein is the most expensive macronutrient. Anything beyond that (especially fruit/vegetables) is considered extra
>>
>college goers
>people
Thanks fr the first kek of the day.
>>
>>7492029
I had this problem, you can get protein powers on Amazon for pretty cheap, would recommend.
>>
>>7492465
Same. Though I noticed that protein can help to last much longer without feeling hungry.
>>
>>7492029
Buckwheat has nearly as much protein as fatty ground beef, iirc
>>
>>7492481
Starve on whole week. Get drunk on weekends.
>>
>>7492581
Not rly. It's around 15% protein whereas fatty meat would still have at least 40-50%. Good idea still.
>>
>>7492481
Let me guess. Your facebook says you attended the university of life.
>>
>>7492635
>having a facebook or suggesting anyone would own one on here

end thyself
>>
>>7492647
That was the implication, yes. It's perfectly fine to not have a degree, but scorning those who do is just admitting the pride you have in your ignorance.
>>
>>7492620
Thanks for the correction. I probably misremembered something about land use per gram of protein or something like that
>>
>>7492659
owning a facebook does not require a university degree

i know average facebook users have the intelligence of the common trout but this is pretty sad even for that. kill yourself
>>
Subsist solely off hard tack
>>
Fried eggs mixed up with crushed saltines

Salad made with hard boiled eggs and bits of bacon.
>>
>>7492029
Beans and lentils are good cheap protein.
>>
>>7492712
You misread my post. Never did I say having a facebook account requires a degree, that's ridiculous. I implied that the guy who was mocking college students probably has a facebook and he probably has "University of life" under the "education" field.
>>
>>7492635
I don't have a facebook profile and I didn't fall for the hurr durr college bullshit. I'm srry that you fell for both.
>>
>>7492005

$0.99/lb every few weeks at my grocery. Meat + cracklings + stock bones

PERNIL
E
R
N
I
L
>>
File: 1412130717875.png (284 KB, 1304x1182) Image search: [Google]
1412130717875.png
284 KB, 1304x1182
>>
File: 1442083128827-2.png (286 KB, 794x479) Image search: [Google]
1442083128827-2.png
286 KB, 794x479
>>7494623
>>
File: 1423477992694.jpg (487 KB, 1200x1697) Image search: [Google]
1423477992694.jpg
487 KB, 1200x1697
>>7494626
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.