[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is mac and cheese made with cream cheese better? My wife went
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: mac.jpg (840 KB, 2816x1880) Image search: [Google]
mac.jpg
840 KB, 2816x1880
Is mac and cheese made with cream cheese better?

My wife went to her co-workers house today for a barbecue and they had mac and cheese using cream cheese instead of velveeta, which we usually use. She says he says it's the "soul food" way of cooking mac and cheese. Is this true, and if so, is it better?
>>
taste is subjective, dum-dum
>>
huh sounds like it would be a calorie bomb but possibly good.
>>
I'd like to hear moar.
>>
Probably good desu. I like to use 1/4 cup of light sour cream when I make mine from scratch and it's delicious. Anything that adds a creamy texture works I guess. Most of the flavor comes from the cheese anyway.
>>
how about you use some actual cheese
>>
>>7490925
Sour cream my go-to as well.
>>
>>7490877

>cream cheese instead of velveeta

I don't see any reason to add extra dairy beyond the actual cheeses you use, aside from the little bit in the roux/liaison.
>>
>>7490877
>Velveeta
What is that not doing in the garbage?
>>
I-I don't think any of you know what cream cheese is. Or what macaroni and cheese is.
>>
>>7490877
i used to use it when I hadn't gotton the technique or quantities for making a bechamel based sauce down yet, since it helped keep everything together and kept oil from separaing out when I reheated it, but now that I've gotten better at it I no longer do.

If it's made right, cream cheese does nothing to affect the texture or taste of mac n cheese. If anything, it makes it brick up more once it cools.
>>
>>7490957

thanks for that fatuously cryptic and condescending comment
>>
>>7490965
>fatuously
U CALLIN ME FAT M8
>>
>>7490877
Sure you can make mac and cheese with cream cheese. Nothing wrong with that. You can make mac and cheese with ANY cheese, really (except those few that won't melt).
My go-to combination of cheese is gruyere, cheddar, and fontina, with some parmesan on top with the bread crumbs. But, my mom made hers with a straight up cheddar cheese sauce. I've used cream cheese in a pinch when I was out of milk and couldn't make a bechamel, as well. Mac and cheese is a very forgiving dish as long as your cheese sauce stays smooth and doesn't break.
>>
>>7490961
>If it's made right, cream cheese does nothing to affect the texture or taste of mac n cheese. If anything, it makes it brick up more once it cools.

Sounds like that would be a very good reason to use it if you are making fried mac and cheese balls with the leftovers (which hopefully you wouldn't make too often).
>>
>>7490998
Don't need it. It gets sufficiently sticky without it in the fridge, after which you can ball it, freeze it, and fry it. I've done it a few times. :0)
>>
>>7490877

Cream cheese and pasta don't go well together simply because the dosh becomes way too heavy and you can really taste the soureness of cream cheese when it's hot.
>>
>>7490877
Isn't Velveeta made from petroleum?
>>
Wish me luck, I'm making Chef John's mac and cheese for the first time for some friends of mine.

The cheeses I'm using are cheddar, gruyere and gorgonzola.
>>
>>7491090
Crude oil, actually.
>>
>>7492585

> cheddar, gruyere and gorgonzola.

good luck
>>
>>7492605

gorgonzola and gruyere both melt very well so this should work out great.
>>
>>7492607

but they'll clash pretty bad
>>
>>7490877
I make a cheese sauce out of beer, cream, sharp cheddar, pepper jack and sour salt.
>>
>>7490877
i cant figure out how to make mac and cheese that looks like ops pic. recipes pls.
>>
>>7492608
How about if instead of gorgonzola I use a medium cured manchego?
>>
>>7490877
now this is how you make a subtle cuck meme
>>
Extra sharp cheddar
Unsalted butter
Goat cheese ricotta
White peppered heavy cream
>>
>>7490877
no to everything you asked. Next.
>>
>>7492776
tear open box, dump in boiling water, cook to al dente, slice open velveeta packet that came with it, squirt it on, mix it in, eat. Just change shells out for the normal elbow macaroni to make it look like that. Or cook a pound of elbow mac to not quite al dente, melt velveeta in a crockpot, add a little dairy maybe a touch of pepper, dump macaroni into it. Eat.
>>
>>7492937
does it actually taste good? im europoor, so no velveeta
>>
>>7492907
haha i didnt even notice before
>>
>>7493010

Not really, velveeta is shit. But you can still make something like that using actual cheese.

1) make bechamel
2) melt in some grated cheese. This works best if you pick cheese(es) that melt well. Cheddar is the classic American choice, but honestly I think that Gruyere and/or Gouda is much better since those cheeses melt much better than cheddar does.
3) Add pasta cooked al dente.
>>
>>7493014
Those cheeses do better and add more flavor. Most the time I try just a straight cheddar it really does not have a whole lot of flavor to it.
>>
>>7490877
Your wife is cheating on you. Maybe that was the joke. I don't know.
>>
>>7493014

ok thanks
>>
Absolutely. It keeps it creamy but I would also mix in grated cheddar as well.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.