[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cast Iron
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: meme pan.jpg (145 KB, 1500x727) Image search: [Google]
meme pan.jpg
145 KB, 1500x727
Alright you niggers let's settle the issue of cast iron pans compared to others once and for all

PROS:
-The best material for retaining heat. It is twice as good as an aluminum pan of equal thickness
-It's oven safe so you can make bread, pizza, finish a steak etc. in it
-Durability. Mine was last produced in 1934 so it could be 100 years old. It actually gets better with age
-Cheap. 5 bucks at a garage sale
-You can use metal utensils without fucking it up
-It will make your hipster girlfriend wet

CONS:
-Until you have a few layers of seasoning, food will stick
-Uneven heating. Unless you have a burner the size of the pan, the sides will not get hot. Aluminum is a much better conductor
-Rust. You can easily fuck up the pan if you are lazy about cleaning it and keeping it away from water
-Acidic foods are a no-no unless you have a great level of seasoning. No wine or tomatoes for you unless you like the taste of iron
-It is high maintenance. That seasoning is something special and if you don't treat yo pan right you will be back to square 1 and your eggs will start sticking again
-It's heavy so your 90lb Chinese gf will have some difficulty with it
-People will mock you on the internet for using it

OK so that pretty much sums it up
>>
>>7486266
bump
>>
>>7486301
:(
>>
Don't forget that they're also shit in terms of thermal conductivity and even heating. Since getting a set of copper cookware I only really use cast iron for searing meat anymore.
>>
>>7486672
copper seems to be the best cookware

too bad it is fuckin expensive
>>
>>7486266
Adore cast iron. I have an old one too. Prolly bout 50 yrs old or more, idk. Belonged to my gramma. I cook/bake everything in it with the exception of tomato based stuff and soups. Perfect nonstick surface and I take care of it.
>>
it's the fedora of cookware

and i use one everyday. *tips seasoning*
>>
>>7486266
i don't have any problems with wine deglazing in my pan, just don't let it sit in there overnight or anything. same with rust. if you wipe it out while it's hot with grease you basically can get all food bits out of it. i only dedicatedly wash mine when i do use wine or vinegar sauces for stir fry or etc
>>
>>7486266
Nigga
Nigga
Nig
Wait are you
Are you telling me i can make a pan pizza with my cast iron?
This could be a game changer.
>>
>>7486898
uh yeah you dumbass

i do it all the time
>>
>>7486898

god that post was so reddit
>>
>>7486904
I actually have never made pizza at my home before.

>>7486906
Honestly, yeah. I was really excited.
>>
File: 1449446359452.jpg (70 KB, 646x720) Image search: [Google]
1449446359452.jpg
70 KB, 646x720
>>7486914
Step 1 make pizza dough

Step 2 put it in pan with ingredients

Step 3 enjoy
>>
>>7486914
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/01/the-pizza-lab-the-worlds-easiest-pizza-no-knead-no-stretch-pan-pizza.html
Literally the most known article on SE, stop living under a rock desu senpai
>>
>>7486898
Perhaps even the best pizza in it.
>>7486678
>>7486672
Why don't they make cast iron pans with copper bottoms?
>>
>>7486266
it's the no acidic foods one that does it for me. Fuckin stupid, I can just get a pan that does anything for 10 bucks.

I have a little cast iron pan that I use for some things, but it's more of a hassle than anything
>>
>>7486952
copper is expensive as shit
>>
>>7486952
There is not a single application where a copper pan with cast iron interior would outperform either stainless lined copper or tin lined copper
>>
Personally I love my cast iron pan. I have an 8 inch, 12 inch and a Dutch oven. Only ever use the 12 inch really. Just keep it on my stove.

I love it. I clean it with salt and a lemon here and there if I cook something smelly, then rinse and oil.

Nothing to it. Things don't burn as easy like in an aluminum pan.
>>
How about... TITANIUM PANS?
>>
>>7487001
Additionally, you would have to find a way to bond copper and cast iron while accounting for thermal expansion/contraction. This is hard, because cast iron is brittle and the different rates of expansion/contraction would likely shatter the cast iron
>>
So I'm at my parents place and I found an unseasoned cast iron pan that belonged to my gran, who never got around to using it.

There's a lot of conflicting information online and I was wondering what /ck/ thinks? Was planning on seasoning it 4-5 times for an hour each time in a 150 Celsius oven using vegetable oil (only fat in the house).

Sound about right?
>>
>>7487134

Sounds good. Heat up a oven to 350 or do it on a grill and leave for an hour. Let it cool and repeat.

Oil is a super debated topic for seasoning for some god awful reason. Veggie oil works just as well as any other oil.

If you really want specifics I usually use sesame oil or bacon grease if i getthe chance. Go for oils with high smoke points. If you're feeling baller food grade flaxseed oil is said to be the best oil for seasoning hands down buts its stupid expensive.
>>
In England they're not even cheap. I had to spend 40 pounds for my lodge 30cm pan.
>>
>>7488439
That seems to be a normal price
>>
>>7488490
$60 dollars for a 12" isn't cheap. I could get a nice Tefal pan for 1/3 that price
>>
>>7488439
i got a 12" lodge for $20...
>>
>buy $8 teflon coated pan
>lasts about three months before coating degrades
>throw in trash
>buy another
>>
>>7488439
>In England

Found your problem
>>
>>7489610
>buy $8 teflon pan
>ingest toxic for 3 months until there's none left
>throw in trash
>buy another
>>
>>7486898

le reddit is leaking
>>
>>7486266
>Aluminum is a much better conductor
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.