[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kitchen scales
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: 71NGQMCh2QL._SL1500_[1].jpg (211 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
71NGQMCh2QL._SL1500_[1].jpg
211 KB, 1500x1500
Kitchen scales, co/ck/s

What do you use? My old scales died recently, and I'm looking to get a new one.

I'd like something accurate to tenths of a gram, with a max weight of, say, 2-5 kilos. 0.1g accuracy because I'd like to be able to measure yeast and other things that are used in tiny amounts, and my old scales were only accurate to about 5g.
>>
like some salter electronic one for $15

go look on amazon or something
read the reviews
>>
I have a scale like that for big stuff and for smaller measurements I have a pocket drug scale that does decigrams.
>>
>>7485008

Just get a jewelers scale for small stuff and a kitchen scale for bigger measurements.
>>
File: 936309_1.jpg (56 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
936309_1.jpg
56 KB, 420x420
These are best design, very easy to clean.
>>
File: Tanita KD320WH33.jpg (64 KB, 1280x1326) Image search: [Google]
Tanita KD320WH33.jpg
64 KB, 1280x1326
>>7485008
I bought this one last Spring and I use it often. So fat I'm very pleased with it. It goes to 0.1g
>>
>>7485579
Ever find yourself wondering, "Man, now I've got 4 kilos of stuff and I have to measure stuff in batches. This sucks?"

Or do you find a 3 kilo upper limit to be fine for everyday use?
>>
Not the guy with the scale, but I don't think I've ever weighted a single item above 3kg in my home kitchen. Everthing that might be above 3kg is usually preweighted (turkey, roasts, other large joints, etc).
>>
>>7485680
I never really need to weigh more than 1 kilo of stuff
>>
Got one from my local thrift shop for $5
>>
Does anyone else take a luggage scale to the grocery store so you know you're not being ripped off?
>>
>>7485876

No. Luggage scales have horrible accuracy. You'd be lucky if they were +/- 20%.....whereas the scales in the produce department are certified accurate by a regulatory agency.
>>
ah, the bad cook's crutch
>>
>>7485902
Because great cooks need a handicap. The result doesn't matter, the sheer obtuseness needed does.
>>
>>7485680
What kind of scale do you cook on so you'd need to weigh massive amounts like that? Things that require measuring rarely go above 500g.
>>
>>7486546
Fair point. I think the closest I get is when baking bread, but not that close.

Guess I'm just paranoid.
>>
>>7486546
You could easily go above a kilo if doing a large batch of bread or cake batter and were weighing everything in the one bowl, but 3kg is definitely more than enough for a domestic setting.
>>
>>7485008
i have that exact one
>>
>>7485680
if it's really that much of an issue then buy a second scale with a higher limit
I really doubt you're going to need more than 3 kilo (about 6.6 pounds)
>>
>>7486546
I use my kitchen scales when I make homebrew and sometimes I put the entire pot of water on the scales so I can add stuff to it. It's not really necessary but it makes it easier when I'm using extracts and stuff that seems to stick to everything and I'd rather just add it straight to the pot.
>>
>>7485902
fry cook detected
>>
>>7485008
why do you need accuracy within 0.1 g?
>>
File: CSB2KG1.jpg (2 MB, 3168x3168) Image search: [Google]
CSB2KG1.jpg
2 MB, 3168x3168
This is the one i use http://www.smartweighscales.com/product/digital-kitchen-scale-with-removable-bowl-2kg-by-0-1g/. Has 0.1 and comes with a handy bown that doubles as a protective lid for the scale. Plus the price is right. I ordered calibration weights and can verify fthe scale is very accurate, not just precise.
>>
>>7488707
weed
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.