[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Easter dinner
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: tn_1262055260350.jpg (10 KB, 220x180) Image search: [Google]
tn_1262055260350.jpg
10 KB, 220x180
I'm not sure if this should be on /diy/ or /ck/, but I need help making some fake bones; enough to produce a rough approximation of a human skeleton.

Back story: my brother and I do Sunday night dinner together most weeks as a way to keep up with each other. We alternate turns cooking each week. Over a couple of years, we've both developed some decent cooking and presentation skilz, and have tried to out do each other several times. Easter is going to be my next turn.

Suffice it to say, neither of us are religious people. Even still, I'm planning a religious themed easter dinner. Basically, I want to build a human corpse to represent jesus, and then the different courses would be served from the corpse directly. For example, I want to cut the head open with a dremel (largely for show, not much real cutting) and remove the 'brain' to serve as a pate and crackers course. I want to slice in to the abdomen (and a plastic bag concealed within) and scoop out the contents to serve as a Ramen with mixed vegetable course. Etc...

Anyway, I have this recipe for 'fauxtex' which will make plenty of fake skin to cover the corpse with. I really just need an easy and cheap way to make the skeleton. I don't even need a whole skeleton; I'm thinking just a long spine section, the rib cage, and the pelvis. The serving area is only so big. I already have a plastic skull that I can make the head out of.

I guess my real question is how can I make the rib cage and pelvis? It has to be accuratly shaped enough so that when you drape the fake skin over it, the final appearence is real enough. Can I make some plaster of Paris casts for the ribs? Can I use animal bones avaliable at the butcher? Can I do a little of both and fuse them together somehow? I looked up plastic skeletons that I could disassemble, but the cheapest one that looked like it would do the job was $100 and out of stock. I tried party city, but they don't have anything Halloween at this time of year.
>>
File: reddit.jpg (58 KB, 320x442) Image search: [Google]
reddit.jpg
58 KB, 320x442
Edgy. Make sure to draw some pentagrams in edible ink, that will really show how your dad totally can't force you to go to church anymore and you're totally beyond the whole religion thing.
>>
>>7484434
Not trying to be edgy. I'm not going around bragging about this or anything, I just actually do need some help building the chest and pelvis. Given my brother's obsession with the show Hannibal, I get the idea that simulated cannibalism might not be objectionable to him. Frankly, I've always had an inexplicable disdain for religion too. Moreover, if I can pull this off, it will definitely be the most technically difficult presentation I've ever done. If I can't get this done within a week, my fallback plan is a egg themed dinner.
>>
>>7484434
Nice pic and nice filename though.
>>
File: 1456331093743.jpg (35 KB, 591x600) Image search: [Google]
1456331093743.jpg
35 KB, 591x600
>>7484463
Shameless self bump.
>>
The expensive way to do it would be with a prime rib roast, which will of course be an actual rib cage. that's probably $150-200 tho

to make cheap fake bones I'd suggest stiff wire wrapped in a simple soda bread dough, make it very stiff and bake the bones in sections then assemble.

spinal cord likewise, you can make almost any shape out of dough and bake it hard
>>
>>7485007
That is an excellent idea. I get the feeling that would probably work well.

What would you suggest for wire? Maybe a coat hanger?
>>
>>7485047

coat hangers are usually glazed in some kind of coating, I'd go to Home Depot or similar and get some stiff wire that seems suitable.
>>
>>7485064
Thanks anon. I've got some heavy duty romex that may do the job. The ground wire is just pure copper, the black and white wires can just be stripped down to pure copper.

I'm thinking bake the ribs one loop at a time, then just use a flour paste to bond them together at the sternum.
>>
>>7484455
>Frankly, I've always had an inexplicable disdain for religion too.
I think I can explicate it fairly easily.
>>
>>7484401
I have no advice, but I really want to see the finished product. OP you'd better update.
>>
>>7486185
Oh, I'll update. Problem is, this thread is probably going to die a couple of times between now and easter. I'll just keep starting new threads with updates though.
>>
>>7486232
Just namefag yourself as Skeleton Guy or something, if all else fails I'll find you in the archive.
>>
>>7486292
Good call. I've never actually namefagged before desu.
>>
>>7486318
Goddammit! It changes "to be honest" to desu? What the fuck?
>>
>>7486323
Mods got really sick of the "to be honest familia" meme
So now it filters to desu senpai
>>
File: 20160318_232953-1.jpg (2 MB, 2464x2029) Image search: [Google]
20160318_232953-1.jpg
2 MB, 2464x2029
I asked this question on /diy/ and /ck/ at the same time, but I think I'm just going to move the thread over to /diy/ >>964018 because it's a slower moving board.

Also, started the process of making a face for the head. Still need to make more skin to go around the head, but the nose and eyes worked out. So far, so good.
>>
Well how the heck do I link to another thread on clover? Is it

>>>/diy/964018
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.