[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Favorite book thread. Mine is pic related.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: 81LBKEGqpiL.jpg (316 KB, 1466x994) Image search: [Google]
81LBKEGqpiL.jpg
316 KB, 1466x994
Favorite book thread. Mine is pic related.
>>
in b4 that semen "cookbook"
>>
Blog cookbooks are the worst.
>>
>>7481583
I love to read copycat recipe books.
Lame I know, but its fun
>>
File: Curious George.jpg (103 KB, 565x330) Image search: [Google]
Curious George.jpg
103 KB, 565x330
>>7481780
now im curious, what is this semen cookbook..?
>>
>>7481840
do you not know how to use Google?
>>
>>7481869
You'd be amazed how many people are incapable of using Google.
>>
>>7481840
>he doesnt cook with his own semen
youre missing out senpai
>>
File: buy my book.jpg (129 KB, 746x1025) Image search: [Google]
buy my book.jpg
129 KB, 746x1025
>>
>>7481840
have the recipes are just cook a thing and then jizz on it
>>
File: bacon-6.0.jpg (38 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
bacon-6.0.jpg
38 KB, 800x600
>>
File: moist.jpg (758 KB, 1206x1600) Image search: [Google]
moist.jpg
758 KB, 1206x1600
>>
>>7481583
What book is that? Tbqh it annoys me when the author adds a fucking story before the recipe. I don't want to read about one summer in wherever I just want to know how to cook the dish
>>
>>7482992
Hey at least it's not like recipe blogs on the internet. they include the stories so you sit there and rack up ad revenue for them while reading their made up garbage.
>>
>>7482992
It never occurred to me that some people might dislike that so much. Personally I enjoy reading the little stories before the recipes. In my experience they often give good insight into the reasoning of the I ingredients or cooking methods, or an interesting look into the cultural origins. Honestly I feel disappointed when cookbooks don't have that.
>>
>>7482992
I like reading the stories, but only in cookbooks not online.
In cookbooks the stories tend to be more interesting and wellwritten. blogs tend to be boring.

I just finished the art of living according to joe beef, which was really cool. I learned some cool stuff about montreal by reading the little snippets
>>
>>7482992

then don't read that bit you munter
>>
can anyone link or post some actual books that are considered essential reading to those learning how to be a chef? im not going for career but i am absolutely clueless about culinary literature and i would love to read up for my home skills
>>
>>7481583
I really want to call whoever wrote this book and shout "NICE BLOG POST" into the phone.
>>
>>7483326
I really meant the sort of thing in >>7483302. I agree that having some context for the dish, how it links in to the wider cuisine/history/etc is both interesting and worthwhile. What I don't necessarily want to know is the author's personal story with the dish as in the OP, which is half a page of culinary masturbation. As >>7483326 said blogs are the worst for it

>>7483387
My mum says I'm handsome :(

>>7484026
Personally, although I have only very recently started buying cookery books, I try to buy ones which offer a reasonably good overview of a certain type of cooking. To that end I have currently:
Mastering the Art of French Cooking I and II by Julia Child et al
The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Hazan
Couscous and Other Good Food from Morocco by Wolfert
Jane Grigson's English Food
and on order:
Leiths Vegetable Bible
Classic Vegetarian Cooking: From the Middle East and North Africa by Salloum

For fun I also have "French Cooking in Fifteen Minutes" and "Cooking with Pomiane" but these are more for the writing and to give ideas which I adapt, rather than definitive references.

I admit I succumbed to a couple of /ck/ memes but imo they have all proved so far to be worth falling for. Others will suggest other books like I Know How to Cook and The Silver Spoon. If you can find the download link, The Professional Chef is a good resource to have but not sure I would pay through the nose for it new. There was a list which floated around for a couple of threads of classic reference books by cuisine, but I didn't think to save it. I have heard good things also about How to Cook Everything as a kind of general reference, and am at some point going to buy the ebook version of it for my phone so I can come up with ideas while at work in the afternoon. It seems to me that HtCE would be a good place to start if you're a bit less experienced, as would certain bits of TPC as it explains all the theory behind the cooking.
>>
>>7484209
thanks man. super helpful. I'll look into those
>>
>>7484791
Not at all. I was hoping someone would jump in with the list of books I mentioned but I have asked for it before and had no luck so probably only the OP has it and got discouraged. It's a shame because I'd love to talk about cookery books more.

Forgot to say also that a certain generation of Americans has a huge fondness for The Joy of Cooking, and you can find Julia Child's The French Chef as well as a lot by Jacques Pepin on YouTube - well worth a watch if you have a spare few minutes. Should also have said to begin with that The Flavor Bible is supposed to be quite good if you are already reasonably confident and want to read about ideas and then come up with things yourself. I haven't got any experience with it however - as I said my own foray into buying books is just getting started. A quick look on Amazon suggests that it is a bit US-centric if that makes any difference to you.

Finally (and I say this only to be autistically precise), missed out that I also own "1000 slow cooker recipes" but can;t vouch for it as I never actually got round to trying any of it. From my reading through it, it seems like a reasonable investment for the price but it won't rock your world - although slow cooking is virtually always good old fashioned classic fare in my experience.
>>
File: Blog-How-Not-to-Die.jpg (175 KB, 1656x932) Image search: [Google]
Blog-How-Not-to-Die.jpg
175 KB, 1656x932
It has a few recipes. I've been finding them on the web since deciding a couple years ago to eat mostly whole foods after nearly dying.
>>
>>7484886
you are a kind anon. thanks i wrote it all down. gonna check out my local thrift store later today to see if i can snag anything cheap and maybe some other randoms. if not, then ill go for ebooks. thanks again
>>
You probably already saw it but a lot of what I suggested can be downloaded here >>7485375
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.