[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
These are Duchess potatoes, ok, but /ck/ what if I want to make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 42309-1-640.jpg (23 KB, 640x512) Image search: [Google]
42309-1-640.jpg
23 KB, 640x512
These are Duchess potatoes, ok, but /ck/ what if I want to make something like this, but hollow, in such way that I could put something else in it, like a Potato Beignet.
Where I could put inside other ingredients like ham or cheese?

I have been told that is impossible but is that so?

Tl dr: Can one make a Potato Beignet?
>>
>>7480745
Sure, just mix in some mashed potatoes, potato flakes or potato flour into the dough.
>>
I've never tried it before but I have a couple of ideas.

1) Place oven-safe inert objects onto your baking sheet, then pipe the potatoes around them. Bake as normal, then remove the inert filler and insert your filling.

2) Place your filling onto the baking sheet then pipe the spuds around the filling.

>>beignet
Forgive my ignorance but isn't that just a fancy word for a doughnut? Batter dropped into hot oil and then deep fried? What does that have to do with a filling? Or am I totally off base here?
>>
>>7480759
Sounds tricky to handle without ruining the edges. Maybe a small circular layer of mashed potatoes, place filling in the center, pipe more mashed potatoes around filling?
>>
>>7480794

Sure, sounds like it would work great.

I agree that the bake-first-then-fill method would be a bit tricky. The only reason I mentioned it would be if OP wants to stuff them with something that had a different cooking time than the potatoes.
>>
File: bigne-con-la-crema.jpg (31 KB, 427x373) Image search: [Google]
bigne-con-la-crema.jpg
31 KB, 427x373
>>7480759
>1) Place oven-safe inert objects onto your baking sheet, then pipe the potatoes around them. Bake as normal, then remove the inert filler and insert your filling.
I thought about it but I was not sure which material to use, I thought about a sphere that would end up "inside" the potato but it had to be something that would not stick to the potato, then I would cut it into 2 halves like a bignet, remove the thing and insert the filling I wanted to use.

>fancy word for a doughnut
I am italian, if I hear "bigne" (italian translation for bignet")
I imagine only
>pic
but from Wikipedia I can see that it can also be used as synonymous for dough so don't worry about being confused.
>>7480754
>potato flakes
oh right, those are used to inflate maybe it could create a "space"
>>7480806
>with something that had a different cooking time than the potatoes.
Well as a first I could try with Ham but I also wanted to try mozzarella but I did not want to overmelt it which is why I would ideally place it after.
>>
>>7480822
>not sure which material to use
I've seen people do similar things with a piece of carrot wrapped in aluminum foil.

>>Italian
Ah, that explains it. I'm familiar with the French version which usually doesn't have a filling. Thanks for sharing the Italian.

>ham and mozzarella
You could always freeze the filling first, then pipe the potatoes around them and bake.

Another alternative if you were using cheese would be to set the cheese in a heat-stable gel. I can't remember the specific gelling agent off the top of my head but this sort of thing is well known in "molecular gastronomy". Modernist Cuisine has a chart showing what kinds of gelling agents are stable at what temperatures. I am sure there are other resources elsewhere that contain the same info. You could add the appropriate gelling agent to your cheese then it would hold its shape even in the heat of the oven.
>>
>>7480822
You could use cheese right from the fridge or even put it in the freezer for a few minutes before you pipe your 'tatos
>>
>>7480839
>>7480857
Whoops didn'tread that first
>>
>>7480839
>aluminum foil
To save up on electricity I rather use at first the microwave for experiments, I thought about a ceramic ball but I fear that might stick, maybe I could coat it in butter and surround it with breadcrumbs, after all that's what is often done to avoid something sticking to the pan. I wish it was not night time so I could get cooking now.
>>
>>7480890
I'll try anyway as soon as I can, so within 10 hours but I expect this thread to live given /ck/'s speed and see how it turns out, of course if anyone is willing to pitch in some ideas that would be great.

Thanks for the other answers anyway. Hopefully I will be able to prove them wrong.
>>
>>7480890
>I thought about a ceramic ball
How about a marble (glass ball)?

>>To save up on electricity I rather use at first the microwave for experiments
Is electricity really that expensive in Italy?
>>
>>7480916
yes a marble, will the potato dough stick to it thought? I Might have to find or buy one larger than those I have.
and about electricity, is a rather bad moment for everyone.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pommes_dauphine
>>
>>7483399
well that's something to work with, thanks anon.
If only I had not poorly cooked these potatoes.
>>
>>7480745
http://www.amazon.de/schaumrollenformen-K%C3%BCche-Haushalt/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A3167641%2Ck%3Aschaumrollenformen

Something something metal.
>>
>>7484557
Thank you germany you are my greatest ally, you may have shown me the light to what I needed.

Also are german sausages just a tourist trap or did I get bad luck, when I visited it the ones I tasted were all oily and so fat they were tasteless...also excessive salt on fries.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.