[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you believe in cooking-related kickstarters?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: image.notpng.png (714 KB, 680x574) Image search: [Google]
image.notpng.png
714 KB, 680x574
Do you believe in cooking-related kickstarters?
>>
>>7479810
I believe in any kind of kickstarter that creates a useful product.
>>
>>7479810
A Kickstarter for a cast iron pan?
>>
>>7480070
It WOULD be a good idea if it wasn't 85 fucking dollars

Probably be better to just hop on ebay and find a wagner or something
>>
>>7480080
What does It do that a normal one does not?
>>
>>7480097
Deletes threads for free.
>>
>>7480097

I've go no idea about OP's photo but I remember that there was a kickstarter for some other kind of cast iron pan and it was fucking silly. Not only was it crazy expensive, but it was actually LESS useful than a normal CI pan because it had a fucking wood handle on it.
>>
>>7480105
Okay... So it's a Kickstarter for a plain pan?
No, OP, I do not support this.
>>
Not when the pan is ugly.

Why is the handle so stupidly short and stubby?
>>
>>7480107
Are you thinking about this one? (no wood handle, but what came up when I googled)
>>
>>7480114

Terrible.
>>
>>7480113
It's catering to dwarves. Even the underdark folk need cast iron pans man

>>7480114
And this caters to retards
>>
>>7480116
>>7480118
While I'm not interested in one, it doesn't seem so bad. The bottom of the skillet is still rounded, the sides are that way specifically for pouring. The handle is all metal and designed to be easier to hold/quicker to cool.

For me there's just not enough there to justify getting one. I use mine fine, but I don't even see the issue with it
>>
>>7480135

>the sides are that way specifically for pouring

It's a cast iron skillet, not a sauce pan.
>>
>>7480135
None of those features add ANY functionality
At all
My normal cast iron can pour just fine and the handle is also metal, so you're still gonna have problems with it being hot as fuck pulling it out of an oven or fire.
It doesn't do anything better, just differently for the sake of the "lol so different much improve le progress" attitude of the 2010's
>>
>>7480107
wooden handle on a cast iron pan is the style in europe.
Its fine, if you want to put it in the oven just wrap it in foil or sutin
>>
>>7480145
Alright, but none of those things make it bad, either, which is why I don't understand the outrage. It's a mediocre product, but not something terrible/retarded.
>>
>>7480145

And it also adds the worry about the spring coming loose. There's also a good chance of corrosion between all those different metals in contact with each other (the iron of the pan, the spring which appears chrome-plated or perhaps stainless, and then the bronze end.)
>>
>>7480157

You don't think asking a crazy high price for a mediocre product is retarded?
>>
>>7480166
I have no idea what the price is. I didn't see it listed.

>>7480158
This is true.
>>
>>7479814

This, Kickstarter gets a lot shit because of failed vidya kickstarters but a lot of smaller projects turned out really well.
>>
>>7480170
>I have no idea what the price is. I didn't see it listed.

IIRC they were around $85
>>
File: ramen tram.jpg (299 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
ramen tram.jpg
299 KB, 1600x1200
>>
Looks decent but the price is too high for the average cook. Pity.
>>
>>7480738

The only appeal I could see is if they ship them out with as nice of a seasoning as in their ad pics.

I get the feeling most people who shoot down cast iron buy Lodge "pre-seasoned", and are then disappointed when it's not smooth and their eggs stick to the pan on the first use.
>>
>>7480749
It's also heavy as hell. If you look at that picture, the pan is obviously thinner. This pan might actually be worth it at around $50.
>>
>>7480755

Thicker is preferable in my opinion.

If you want a thinner pan then go with a Mineral B.
>>
>>7480787

>if you want a thinner pan then go with a mineral b

Exactly what I was going to say.

I use my Mineral B for most things these days if I'm only cooking for myself or one other person.

I pull out the Griswold when I want to make something bigger, or do a one pan type dish.

(Only bought an 8" De Buyer (I think), so not big enough to entertain.)
>>
>>7480984

Forgot to add, as thin as it is, carbon steel is still deceptively heavy.
>>
>>7480143
What is grease
>>
>>7481095

Regardless of what you do with it, having that many lips, that close together, is retarded. Tilt it just a little and you're going to be pouring grease all over your counter.
>>
>>7479810
>Do you believe in cooking-related kickstarters?
>Do you believe in...kickstarters?
>kickstarters

Don't be a 'tard, son
>>
>ITT: hipsters spurg over rusty cookware
>>
>>7480153
Get the silicone insert that slides over the handle lodge makes for their pans, forget wood handles for cast iron.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.