[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I washed my cast iron with soap and have been rinsing it for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20160317_113030213.jpg (2 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160317_113030213.jpg
2 MB, 2432x4320
I washed my cast iron with soap and have been rinsing it for a few minutes and it still make the water kind of oily looking. Is that somehow leftover soap or the seasoning gradually coming off or something?
>>
>>7479786
This has to be a troll

You never clean cast iron with dish soap
>>
>>7479786
The water doesn't look oily to me at all. What are you talking about?
>>
>>7479795
This has to be a troll

You can always clean cast iron with dish soap
>>
>>7479786

Seasoning cannot come off. If there's any oil/grease on the pan from your cooking then perhaps there is some of that left over.

Also, your seasoning appears to be fucked up. The water should bead up on the pan like water on a waxed car. Water that spreads out and sticks to the pan is indicative of a lack of seasoning. See pic.

You see how there's a faint circle in the bottom of your pan? The seasoning inside that circle is bad; it's fine outside that circle. You can tell by the way that the water beads up (or doesn't).
>>
>>7479795
After it has a pretty established seasoning, it's fine to do gently to get burned residue or whatever off. Not gonna fuck up the seasoning.

>>7479796
It's a shitty picture. But it looks like there's a tiny bit of gasoline in it.

>>7479807
So the beaded water is on top of good seasoning and the messy water is bad spots? Should I re-season it? desu I never really seasoned this one. I just started cooking. It came pre-seasoned though.
>>
>>7479844
Yeah, definitely put a few more layers of seasoning in the oven. The factory seasoning is pretty basic and it definitely benefits from a few more layers before you really start using the skillet.
>>
File: 14582327672102.jpg (1 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
14582327672102.jpg
1 MB, 2432x4320
>>7479844
>So the beaded water is on top of good seasoning and the messy water is bad spots?
Yes

>>Should I re-season it?
Yes

Pic related.
>>
>>7479861
So just rub some oil in it, put it in the oven for a while, and repeat? What kind of oil works best? Is coconut or lard OK? Those are my go-tos.

What temperature do I bake it at and for how long? Do I wife the residual oil off when done and re-apply more oil?
>>
>>7479876

Linseed oil is the theoretical best, but any food-safe oil or fat will work. Coconut and lard are both fine choices.

>>What temp
Above the smoke point of the oil. The point is to break it down and polymerize it.

>>do I wipe the residual oil off
There shouldn't be any. If there is then you either put too much on in the first place, or you didn't cook it long enough.

You don't need to repeat it, one good layer is all you need.
>>
>>7479863

It's more likely that has to do with the pan being heated unevenly than than it does with the seasoning.
>>
>>7479876
Use a high smoke point oil like safflower, peanut, soybean or sunflower. Put a small amount into the pan, rub it around with some paper towel to get a very thin layer all over the inside of the pan. Put it upside down in the oven with a sheet pan or piece of foil underneath to catch any possible drips and leave it in the oven for about half an hour at 450 degrees. Let it cool down and then repeat 2-3 more times.

That should give you a pretty solid base seasoning. After that, just use it frequently, particularly for anything using a fair amount of fat like searing meats or making bacon or sausage, anything like that.

After you use it, wash it out with some soap and hot water, put it on the stove on a high burner to dry it off until it just starts to smoke a bit then turn it off and put some oil on a paper towel and rub that all over the inside of the pan to get a thin layer all over it. Let it cool down and put it away.
>>
>>7479901
You mean flaxseed oil, right? Hm, that's pretty uncommon. Why's that best? This might be an excuse to buy some and start using it for other stuff too.
>>
>>7479912

Yes, the round shape implies that uneven heating probably caused the problem in the first place, but it's equally apparent that the seasoning has now been damaged.

OP, you're not so retarded that you put large pans on small hobs and vice-versa, are you? The pan should be the same size as the burner you are using.
>>
>>7479936
Due to the high smoke point it has.

It's not really necessary though, any oil with a smoke point in the 450+ range works fine.
>>
>>7479913
>put some oil on a paper towel and rub that all over the inside of the pan to get a thin layer all over it

1) totally unnecessary if the pan was seasoned in the first place.

2) counterproductive due to rancidity.
>>
>>7479913
If you don't salt the pan first it's absolutely pointless trying to season it.
>>
>>7479936
>You mean flaxseed oil, right?
Same thing

>Why's that best?
Google it. It has somethign to do with how readily it polymerizes.

>This might be an excuse to buy some and start using it for other stuff too.
Nah, it's limited to the seasoning aspect, it has no benefit for normal cooking applications and as you mentioned it's expensive and hard to find.

Any food-safe oil or fat works.
>>
>>7479948
The pan is 12-14 inches in diameter, and this shitty apartment has maybe 7 inch heaters. Electric ones at that. So it's all I have to work with... I don't pay rent though and I'm buying a nice house soon, so I guess I'll just re-season and enjoy my luxurious flame burners.

So am I not supposed to use a flame burner on cast iron on medium/low heat? Because the smaller heat, the smaller the fire diameter.
>>
>>7479951
Why is a higher smoke point better? Does the seasoning created with a lower smoke point oil start to break down if you cook with it at a higher temperature?
>>
>>7479956
What do you mean about the rancidity?
>>
>>7479958
So you salt it then rub the oil in? What's that do?
>>
>>7479985
No idea. I've never had a rancidity problem from putting oil on a hot pan.
>>
>>7479980
I am guessing that with a lower smoke point the oil will burn off before reaching the proper temperature to polymerize.
>>
>>7479985

Rancidity is the process of oils oxidizing. In other words, oil + oxygen (in the air) = rancid smells and flavors. When you wipe a pan with oil and then leave it sitting around the layer of oil you just added turns rancid.
>>
>>7479995
>So you salt it then rub the oil in? What's that do?

Nothing.
>>
>>7480027
But you don't leave it lying around, you bake it, right? Or do you mean rub oil into it after usual use? Why would you do that if it's already seasoned? Do you really need to perform a mini re-seasoning every time you use cast iron?
>>
>>7480032

Not sure what the other anon was talking about, but you use coarse salt and a paper towel to clean off anything that might be stuck to the pan after cooking in it, as opposed to using something like an abrasive sponge/soap that will mess up the seasoning.
>>
>>7479795
this fucking retard
>>
>>7480065
>But you don't leave it lying around, you bake it, right?
If you're seasoning it, yes.

>>Or do you mean rub oil into it after usual use?
That's what >>7479913 was suggesting.

>>Why would you do that if it's already seasoned?
You wouldn't. That's what I pointed out in >>7479956

>>Do you really need to perform a mini re-seasoning every time you use cast iron?
Nope.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.