[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you eat the end-pieces on a loaf of bread? I knew somebody
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 5
File: bread1.jpg (208 KB, 809x465) Image search: [Google]
bread1.jpg
208 KB, 809x465
Do you eat the end-pieces on a loaf of bread?

I knew somebody who always throws them out saying "the hooves are for poor people."
>>
>>7479397

Of course.
>>
Sometimes I'll eat them in a sandwich or as toast, but I usually freeze and use later for breadcrumbs
>>
>>7479402

Pretty much same here, I have a dehydrator so I throw them in there for a few hours then blitz them.
>>
>>7479397
Thinking about it, I usually dont.

>buy a loaf of bread
>pull fresh bread from out of the middle
>usually the bread gets stale and bad before I eat it all

I dont have an aversion to it, I just wait till its the last few pieces of bread to eat it.
I dont eat a lot of bread so its usually bad by the time I get ther
>>
>>7479397
>"the hooves are for poor people."

That's hardly an apt comparison considering that the end crusts is literally the same as the rest of the loaf.

Your acquaintance is just a picky asshole who doesn't know otherwise.
>>
>>7479397
What kind of retarded question is that? The crust is the best part.
>>
>>7479410
>the end crusts is literally the same as the rest of the loaf
Except it's literally not. Where are you buying bread loaves where every slice is an end crust?
>>
>>7479479
Man I would buy that.
>>
At home: eat

At work: make croutons (alternatively eat one bread heel and one slice of cheese and chef doesn't give a fuck)
>>
>>7479397
>I knew somebody who always throws them out saying "the hooves are for poor people."

wait, are people this stupid?
>>
>>7479409
This. I don't eat a lot of bread and I don't like to freeze it, so if I buy a loaf, it'll often start to go bad before I eat the ends. I'd eat the ends if that was all that was left though.
>>
>>7479520
>>7479409
autism

the first end is the first piece of bread that I eat, because why the fuck would you skip it?

the last end is the last piece I eat, so sometimes I don't get to that one, but who the fuck skips pieces of bread for no reason?
>>
>>7479557
>but who the fuck skips pieces of bread for no reason?

children who don't like the texture of the outside layer of the bread. you know, the same ones who had mommy cut the crust off their sammies and never grew out of that.
>>
I do. The end piece makes a shitty sandwich, but it turns into the best fucking toast ever.
Perfectly crunchy, and has that little curve to it that holds the butter and whatever else you want to slather on there
>>
>>7479562
I guess when I was a kid, I didn't want the end piece (I never got the crust cut off; I doubt my mom would have allowed that bullshit).

I'm not sure when I grew out of that, but it was a long while ago
>>
>>7479557
You skip the first butt to protect the middle slices from going stale.

Also saving both butts for last is perfect for grilled cheese.
>>
>>7479568
aw m8
that's what I use twist ties for
>>
Man I went to jail overnight and got the heel of the bread 3 times in a row, they're dry and taste burnt
>>
>>7479574
I do not recommend twist ties for grilled cheese.
>>
>tfw you went vegan and will never have a grilled cheese again
>>
>>7479397
>the hooves are for poor people.
I've seen people make all kinds of odd food choices out of some sort of weird class prejudice. Some examples:

I know a couple people who won't eat any meat on the bone because they consider themselves middle class, and think bones on the plate are a sign of being poor. They pretty much eat chicken breast and ground beef.

I know many folks who look down on eating offal and some fish (like mackerel) because they don't "have to" eat that stuff.

My paternal grandparents never ate garlic or any Italian American cuisine because they saw it as poor immigrant food that was below their status.

My mother in law will not eat anything spicy. She won't come out and say it, but her reaction to any food with even a hint of heat shows she thinks it's barbaric and uncivilized. She'll say something like: "I don't know how you can eat that."

Many of the men on my mother's side of the family (grew up poor) can't eat (or even stand the sight of) meat that isn't well done. I'm guessing this is because they grew up eating such cheap meat that you had to cook the hell out of it. By the time they became successful enough to afford better meat the idea that you had to cook the shit out of it was already ingrained in them.

I've known plenty of folks who won't eat foods they consider "foreign" because foreigners are to be looked down upon. This isn't just dumb hicks, either.

Also many poor people in America (particularly in the south) can't imagine eating a meal without some sort of sweet drink, and the failure to offer one makes you a lousy host in their eyes.
>>
End piece with butter is noble king of bread.
>>
>>7479587
>>tfw you went vegan and will never have a grilled cheese again
WTF. So, eat like someone without a personality disorder again.
>>
>>7479397
>Buying spongy loaf bread in the supermarket
>Not making homemade sourdough on the daily
I eat the end pieces at the end. I think having the end keeps the bread from drying out.

Who ever told you that is a retarded manchild who thinks he's people.
>>
>>7479582
Ah, the ancient human switcherydoo. Oldest and most noble trick in the book.
>>
File: 1312930545881s.jpg (3 KB, 123x126) Image search: [Google]
1312930545881s.jpg
3 KB, 123x126
I grew up calling them "heels" but I met a girl whose family used to call them "butts"

I eat them all the time, heels not butts
>>
File: Funny-Squirrel-73.jpg (219 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Funny-Squirrel-73.jpg
219 KB, 1024x768
>>7479397
>Do you eat the end-pieces on a loaf of bread?

I tear them into small chunks and toss them into an open coffee can where they dry out, then feed the squirrels with them.

Had one squirrel last year trained to the point that when I opened the back door, he'd come gunning across the backyard and run up to me and would on occasion take a piece of bread right out of my hand.
>>
>>7479557

>first piece is first one I eat
>last piece is last one I eat

That's true autism pal.
>>
>>7479710

No, autism is when you reach into the bread bag, grab the first heel, then think yourself "no, I can't eat that", and then put it back to grab another slice.
>>
The heels are for stuffing
>>
>>7479659
hating on grilled cheese is pretentious as fuck

Soup is incomplete without grilled cheese
>>
>>7479721
>Soup is incomplete without grilled cheese
Only canned condensed tomato soup.
>>
>>7479397
Yes, they're the crunchiest
>>
Why do people hate the ends? It's my favorite part, don't have to toast the bread for a non-floppy sandwich.
>>
>>7479778
Because fussy children don't like eating the crust.
>>
I use them for over easy eggs.
There great for a piece of garlic toast when u eat spaghetti too.
And the heel is better for French toast!
>>
>>7479397
There's nothing instrinsically wrong with them, but in sliced loaves they tend to be really thin and flimsy, and result in a shit piece of toast
>>
I like to bump old threads. Homemade bread heels are way better than that factory shit. I make my own 100% whole white wheat bread fed with bananas so it's 100% whole foods. You better believe I eat the heels.
>>
>>7479397

If it's a good rye, grain or fresh baked bread, then I will make grilled cheeses with them.

If it's cheap bread, no.
>>
>ctrl+f pudding
>no results

k
>>
>>7479397
>hooves are for poor people

If he's buying a mass-produced in a factory loaf of bread, he's buying something meant for poor people. What a faggot.
>>
>>7479409
i bought two loaves over a month ago. i'm halfway through my second loaf and it's still perfectly fine. just put it in your refrigerator.
>>
>>7479623
Middle class insecurity is an amazing thing, especially when it focuses on out of date trends.

As a southerner, I identify with all of these complaints, especially the thing about sweet beverages. People must think diabetes is some sort of badge of honor.
>>
>>7479397
Depends, sometimes I don't finish the loaf or I just make croutons
>>
>>7479713
No, autism is when you reach into the bread bag, grab the first slice, and say "I have to eat this because it's first"
>>
>>7482248
I did this before and it just got stale really quick. Always freeze instead, and then defrost/warm up to get it to room temp then go from there
>>
they are great for dipping in the soup
>>
>>7479688
10/10. I was trying to do the same thing with brazil nuts.
>>
>>7479473
I came to see that the correct answer had been posted, and I was not disappointed.
>>
>>7479713
Preferring 2 regular slices of bread out of your fresh loaf is not that weird.

You dont have to be a nut like the person in the OP to prefer regular bread over the butt pieces, doesnt mean you are going to throw them away or something
>>
>>7482426
My main problem with the end pieces if the size, not the crust ratio or anything. If I'm making a proper sandwich I sort of need it to be equal.
For toast or whatever it doesn't fucking matter at all. I'd never throw it out.
>>
I usually use the end as a kind of lid to stop the bread from going dry but most of the time when I'm done, both ends are too dry to eat so I get another loaf
>>
>>7479397
Yes. They make good grilled cheese sammies. Also good for breadcrumbs and toast.
>>
When i was younger i did, but my bread goes bad in about 3 weeks and guess what? I hardly eat bread at all. You get more for your dollar with pasta and you can do more with pasta than bread.
>>
>>7479397
Toast only
>>
I use the end pieces for toast and such, usually. I don't mind crusts or anything, but they make the best toast.
>>
I think they make the best grilled cheese. They're the last piece of bread I use so I have two nice and crusty ones.
>>
I always go for them first. Best part of the bread imo.
>>
>>7479397
>Do you eat the end-pieces on a loaf of bread?
Yes, it's the most delicious bit of bread.
>>
>>7479557
>these people prefer the middle slices so they eat those first, then usually don't get to the end slices before it goes stale or they get new bread
>this is autism
>the first piece of bread must be eaten first because it is the first, the last piece of bread must be eaten last because it is last
>this is not autism
golly gee you're retarded

>>7479713
>autism is saying "I can't eat that" to the first slice
no, they prefer not to eat the first slice. Autism is seeing the first slice and having to eat it because it's first. I know the word has mostly lost its meaning at this point but you can still google it and find out for yourself
>>
>>7479397
I don't personally eat them but that guy you knew us a fucking cunt
>>
>>7482266
>Middle class insecurity
I'm fascinated by it, especially when it comes to food. Stuff like this:

My mother will never drink "just plain water", only some sort of "cold drink" instead, even if that drink is made with shitty powdered mix.

A proper dinner has to be meat and a few discrete side dishes, with the exception of a stew on a cold day.

Brand loyalty to awful products like Campbell's soup, Kraft cheese, Boar's Head cold cuts and whatever factory makes the sliced bread they buy in plastic bags.

Looking down on Dunkin Donuts while happily eating similar garbage at places like Starbucks and Panera bread.

Buying lowfat dairy products, especially drinking lowfat milk, yet putting half and half in your coffee.

Drinking diet soda, yet still having dessert.
>>
>>7479409
Ever heard of a half loaf?
>>
Am I the only person in this thread that finds it weird people call the heels of bread "hooves"? What the fuck?
>>
>>7484107
I'd never heard that before, either. Then again, my grandma called the heel the "nose", so I can't judge what's weird and what isn't.
>>
>not eating superior round shaped bread
>>
>>7479562
It wouldn't be an issue if they cut it thicker. The bread I buy, the ends are cut so flimsy and thin that it's worthless in any application.
>>
>>7484132
too much of a pain to make. I'm sticking with bread pan bread.
>>
>>7484107
I thought that was very strange. I call them the butt.
>>
>>7484163
How is it any more difficult to round it than shape it onto a log and put it in a pan?
>>
I don't waste food, so yes.
>>
>>7479397
I make croutons out of them
>>
>>7484181
100% whole wheat loaves are easier in pans.
>>
These are called heels of bread.
>>
The crust is the best, I guess people who don't like it are those who it shitty bread that's stale before it reaches their table.
>>
>Rip up end piece of bread
>Cut up carrot
>Combine in bowl
>Microwave for 30 seconds
>Put it into dog bowl
>Dog eats it, and is good

Good for two days of dog snack.
>>
>>7485217
So many people ITT eating dog food
>>
Well here in germany, bread is something differemt than in burgerland. The crust is the part with most flavour of the bread so the end parts are like heaven to me. They are just so tasty i could not bear to throw them away.
>>
I love the ends when they're crusty, not so much when spongy. The bread makers should just have a machine slice off the ends before baking
>>
>>7485791
Are you seriously this retarded?
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/trailerparkboys/comments/15iodg/bread_heels_and_bacon_grease_are_too_fuckin_dry/
>>
>>7485518
Here in Belgium too. I remember going to the supermarket (where they have their own bakery) with my parents, me and my older brother would always fight for the butt of the freshly cut loaf. The same for baguettes.
>>
On a fresh loaf I butter the end piece and eat it untoasted. The back end I'll frequently toss, though now and then I'll toast it.
>>
>>7485791
Can this be a meme?
>>
>>7479397
I don't like them on a sandwich, but if I toast it and put a good cheese on it (chevre, ricotta, cream cheese, aged gouda), It tastes lovely with coffee in the morning.
>>
I chow them down like a real fucking man.
>>
>>7479397
i bake my own bread so it's kind of different, but i usually spread nut butter on the ends and have them as a snack

for store bought bread i would usually just eat the ends as a snack because they are so small
>>
>>7479397
>2016
>Still eating bread
>>
>>7479397

They cut them super thin, I'm assuming to minimize the waste.

If they cut them normal sized I could actually use the end piece like a normal piece of bread.

They force my hand.
>>
>>7479397
I can safely say that the rich eat the same bullshit as everyone else, for the most part. Some of it is fancy meals at fancy restaurants, but some of it is also ordinary delivery pizza. People have strange ideas about class. I'm not saying that class differences don't exist, but people are often poor at judging them.
>>
>>7485815
Is your bread sourdough? I can only imagine it is. Sourdough crust is GOAT
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.