[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guys I'm looking for a good quality frying pan, I heard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: flavorstone.jpg (170 KB, 499x435) Image search: [Google]
flavorstone.jpg
170 KB, 499x435
Guys I'm looking for a good quality frying pan, I heard about this TV frying pan called Flavor Stone, is it good or just TV shit, if it's shit, which brand would you guys recommend me?
>>
>>7478871
You don't want a brand. Look for a vintage cast iron pan, restore it, and give it a fresh seasoning.
>>
>tv frying pan
>>
>>7478871
I don't trust products I see on TV 90% of the time. If a product is in a commercial or infomercial, it means the company spent a ton of money for advertising and publicity - money they could have used for producing a better product instead. This usually means you're paying more for their brand name and advertisement costs and less for the quality of their product.

Don't get me wrong, there have been some cool stuff advertised out there. But just beware if you did see this on TV, especially if it's from an infomercial.

And if you want a decent, reasonably priced equipment, try going to restaurant supply stores.
>>
File: get a load of this guy.jpg (9 KB, 183x200) Image search: [Google]
get a load of this guy.jpg
9 KB, 183x200
>>7478875
>vintage cast iron
>>
>>7479047
sorry lass, its well known among almost every community that uses iron (that i know, axes and cast iron), that vintage iron is always superior. cast irons specifically are judged by their creation date, as the quality is assumed through that information. im sorry you werent fortunate enough to have inherited the family cast iron
>>
>>7479109
Why isn't it possible for new iron to be as good?
>>
>>7479169
Because nothing is made to last anymore.
It's not profitable in a post-globalization, mass market global market to make products that last forever, because then you reach market saturation and nobody will ever buy one again because it gets passed down as family herilooms
>>
>>7478871
It shit. Get a cast iron, season it, use it. Best pan you'll ever have. If you don't want to baby a cast iron, fine. Get a steel pan. Avoid anything teflon coated. DO NOT BUY ALUMINUM IT'S SHIT AT CONDUCTING HEAT! Ceramic coated stuff is okay. Copper is good, but expensive, and it needs to be line with aluminum (it's okay as a lining, not okay as the whole pan. I don't care that they use it in kitchens, it's shit).
>>
Pan guide for you:
http://www.thekitchn.com/a-guide-to-the-best-material-for-pots-and-pans-pros-cons-168241
>>
>>7479169
New cast iron is just fine. It's made the same way as the old stuff is--it's not as if the idea of making a sand mold and melting iron into it has changed any in the past few hundred years.

Some people think the older stuff is better because the surface may be smoother. That's sort of silly because a) it doesn't matter, and b) if you did care you could simply make a new skillet smoother by sanding it.

I own both new and old cast iron. I have two no-name skillets I got from my grandmother, two vintage griswold muffin pans, one new Lodge skillet and a new lodge dutch oven. They all cook exactly the same and the nonstick properties after seasoning are all identical.
>>
>>7478871
the ONLY logical choice
>>
>>7480514
The memest of meme cookware!
>>
>>7480466
This is advice from someone who just learned to cook. There is no be all end all pan. Cast iron is great for steaks and such, but they suck for eggs. I wouldn't want to cook in a kitchen without a teflon pan nor a kitchen without a cast iron pan
>>
>>7480466
>>7480551
>DO NOT BUY ALUMINUM IT'S SHIT AT CONDUCTING HEAT!
>it needs to be line with aluminum
This should have tipped you off.
>>
>>7480561
He was right, though, because copper is so reactive and will fuck with your food if you don't know exactly what you're doing. And if you're asking what kind of pan you should buy, you definitely don't know exactly what you're doing.

OP, get stainless steel. It's a good overall material until you get more comfortable and learn more shit. Definitely don't get infomercial crap though.
>>
File: copper-chef.jpg (56 KB, 750x518) Image search: [Google]
copper-chef.jpg
56 KB, 750x518
Who here has more money than sense? Saw this in an infomercial. I want to try but not at the $75 price point.
>>
>>7480466
>DO NOT BUY ALUMINUM IT'S SHIT AT CONDUCTING HEAT

You kidding me? Aluminum has much better thermal conductivity than cast iron does.
>>
>>7480616
No, he was fantastically wrong to the point where I think it's trolling. Firstly, aluminum is an excellent conductor of heat, the second best after copper. And secondly, aluminum is a reactive metal that leeches into food like copper and therefore should not be used to line anything. Furthermore, stainless steel is a terrible conductor of heat and is the metal that SHOULD be used to line things because of its non-reactivity.
>>
>>7480653

$75 is very cheap for a copper pot so clearly something is up here. My guess is that it's just copper plated but I haven't looked into it.

Also why is it unlined? Copper is toxic, which is why copper pots are lined with something else. The old-school European brands are tinned.

And what's up with that silly height? It's too high for a "fry pan" yet too shallow to use as a saucepan. Not to mention it would be near useless as a saucepan with those corners.

No thank you. I wouldn't buy one even for $5.
>>
>>7480668

Agreed with most of that, but aluminum doesn't leach into anything. This happens because it is so highly reactive. The moment the pan is made the aluminum oxidizes. Aluminum oxide is so hard that it is used as a steel cutting abrasive and to make grinding wheels. It's one of the hardest minerals known.
>>
>>7480677
https://youtu.be/zux6nqyeONM

It's supposed to be a replacement for all your pans.
>>
>>7480689
>It's supposed to be a replacement for all your pans.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

I still wouldn't pay even $5 for it.
>>
>>7480686

Amorphous aluminum oxide will dissolve in sauces and when cleaning them. Sure it reforms, but you don't really want aluminum salts in your food. Supposedly crystalline aluminum oxide won't, but I'm not aware of any pans which have that.

Of course chrome from stainless steel leaches too, but you can't taste it.
>>
>>7480800

You can't taste aluminum oxide either. It's inert. It's also not toxic.

Chrome in stainless is actually toxic, but it occurs in such small amounts that it's not relevant.
>>
why does no one ever say carbon steel? its like taking the best properties of cast iron and stainless steel.
>>
>>7479174
it's fucking cast iron you mong, your point holds for complex machinery but it's the fucking same material just possibly shaped or sanded differently.
>>
>>7480941
Actually it has the exact same properties as cast iron, except they tend to be thinner.

I recommended a Mineral B pan to someone earlier in the thread who said he wanted a thin pan; that's a carbon steel.

Personally I don't like them all that much because they tend to be relatively thin. I greatly prefer the higher thickness of cast iron. Also, the carbon steel pans like the Mineral B tend to have long handles which are inconvenient when using the pan for baking in the oven.
>>
>>7479169
new iron as just as good. there are no practical differences.

>hurr blurr it's not made to last

it's fucking iron
>>
>>7478871
cast iron nigga
>>
>>7480689
>It's supposed to be a replacement for all your pans.

Why would I want to throw away perfectly good pans? Is that so that I can only make one dish at a time?
>>
>>7480873

It's not inert, it dissolves in acids and bases (crystalline aluminum oxide is mostly inert, but the stuff in pans is amorphous). Put it in citric acid (ie. tomatoes) and you get among other things aluminum citrate for instance.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.