[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
UK Soda Tax
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 12
File: image.jpg (181 KB, 1058x791) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
181 KB, 1058x791
UK to introduce a tax on sugary foods and drinks.
Suck it up you obese, soda guzzling, diabetic fucks.
>>
No excuses now, America.
>>
>not allowed to own knifes
>not allowed to criticize muslims
>not allowed to eat sugar
What a wonderful place the UK is.
>>
>posted as I show proof of legal age to purchase plastic cutlery
>>
>>7476374
Someone forgot to tell them that 1984 was a warning, not a fucking blueprint.
>>
This will be good for fatties. They may have an abundance of energy, but they are starving for nutrients. Soda offers none.
>>
>>7476351

We already have a fucking high tax on sugar. It's been around since the late 1970's. That's why all the major US soft drink companies (and many others) switched to HFCS in the early 1980's. The price of sugar in the US is roughly 3x that of the typical price elsewhere in the world.
>>
File: 1451430587208.jpg (26 KB, 372x376) Image search: [Google]
1451430587208.jpg
26 KB, 372x376
>>7476420
When I stopped drinking coke and sweet tea, I swear those first couple days were worse than when I quit smoking
I couldn't stop thinking about having some sort of sweet drink. It was fucking maddening
I've switched to coffee since then
>>
File: British freedumbs.jpg (52 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
British freedumbs.jpg
52 KB, 720x960
>>7476345
>>
I wish they'd do this in the US.

Fucking ridiculously high taxes on cigarettes, and nothing for the much more harmful sugar water.
>>
>>7476600

They already do. See >>7476427
>>
>>7476589
that's Australia
>>
File: image.jpg (145 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
145 KB, 1024x683
>>7476589
Since when did the UK have cents as a currency, you blithering mong?
>>
>>7476589
>Britain
>cents
Stupid cunt.
>>
>>7476624
>>7476628
>>7476632
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1217504/Are-old-spoon-Woman-asked-ID-buying-teaspoons-Tesco.html
>>
File: image.jpg (127 KB, 900x877) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127 KB, 900x877
>>7476634
Nice damage control faggot.
>>
>>7476345
jokes on you, I already exclusively consume expensive liquor!
>>
File: large.jpg (44 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
44 KB, 600x400
>I'll take a TV licence thanks
>would you like that sugar tax with that?

UK keks btfo

>>7476589
those are good for picnics and partys you mong.
>>
>>7476351
We need that sweet free government healthcare first anon that's the whole point. You tax the unhealthy shit so you have money for treating their unhealthy asses.
>>
>>7476589
Anyone have those weapon sweeps? That task force that patrols and confiscates anything that could be used as a weapon, including such threats as a broom and a pointy stick they found in the park. Also trolling facebook and arresting some kid that posted a pic posing with a hatchet or something like an edgy cunt. It was pretty hilarious.
>>
>>7478413
Sounds good to me. Garbage food should be taxed.
>>
This can only be a good thing. Well done, Jamie.
>>
>>7478413

Or you could simply make people responsible for their own health decisions. That saves mad money due to the lack of bureaucracy involved.
>>
File: 3 - Evil HFCS Empire.png (222 KB, 1367x1024) Image search: [Google]
3 - Evil HFCS Empire.png
222 KB, 1367x1024
Enjoy the HFCS, bongs.
>>
Ive never like the whole sin tax on junk food.
Everyone eats junk food once in a while.
Everyone deserves the right to pick and choose what they shove down their gullet.

This is literally just greed, its not stopping the obese from eating a shit ton of bad food, and it isnt going to stop me from buying some snacks.
>>
>>7476420
>fatties
>abundance of energy

Top kek
>>
>>7476345
NYC here, our mayor tried this a while back and all the toothless ignorant yokels from flyover land united under the command of the HFCS lobby to stop him. I guess they correctly figured out that even though they'll never even set foot here (too many scary libruls with their lies they learned from books), we set the trends for the lesser parts of America.

The fatties won and I have to share my subway seat with a fattyfat's rolls forever now.
>>
>raise the price of a product and make normal people suffer because certain people can't discipline themselves
>don't raise the price of alcohol or cigarettes because that is not really a problem
Nice country you got there.
>>
>>7479907

Fags are taxed high as fuck you ignorant twat
>>
>>7479907
>normal people
>drinking garbage for pleasure
I don't want to know your other notions of normal
>>
>>7476345
Raising prices isn't going to change shit for people whose brains are addicted to the caffeine and sugar, they'll just shift their budgets around. Less muumuu buying I guess.
>>
>>7479907
Both of those things are taxed pretty heavily. Only smokers are upset by it
>>
>>7479929
Found the Brit.
I apologize for my ignorance. I assumed cigarettes have a normal price.
My issue with this tax is the fact that with drinking soft drinks you only hurt yourself while with smoking you hurt yourself and people around you. Fat people spend taxpayers money for their healing and now they will spend that money and get even more in taxes. Illogical.
>>7479943
I'm a healthy grown up male, I drink soft drinks from time to time and I have no problems. I don't want to pay more because some fat fuck wasn't able to control himself.
>>
File: bear.jpg (65 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
bear.jpg
65 KB, 1280x720
>>7479962
>mfw: went to buy a pack of Marlboro Lights for a friend, nearly£10.
>>
>>7476406
>>7476374
Nice meme
>>
>>7479962

>We're taxing sugar
>Assumed the nanny state wouldn't tax fags and booze

Yesterday I got a letter from my Doctor asking if I smoke and if I'd like an appointment to help quit, I don't smoke, do you have any idea how bad it is here?

Soft drinks make people fat, then they waste obscene amounts of NHS money on gastric bands and now we can't afford effective cancer drugs
We are fucked in every way, please bring us freedom america
>>
>>7479974
I just checked, they're around 5€ in Croatia.
>>7479999
That's where I'm going. Huge amounts of money are already being spent on useless stuff. Let those fat people die or invest more money into prevention programs. Taxing soft drinks isn't going to help, unless they tax it for a huge margin.
>>
>>7480025

Last I checked they do intend to tax it quite heavily

When have prevention programs EVER worked?
>>
>>7476345
Yes.
Because taxation or just outright banning things is better than proper education and allowing people to make their own decisions.
>>
>>7480044
Some stats I found
>In 2014-2015 the GB government received 9.5 billion pounds in revenue from tobacco TAX
>In 2012-2013 The government spent ~140 million pounds on prevention programs.
>The increased tax on soft drinks is expected to raise 520 million pounds in the first year only

Prevention programs work they just have to be good. That's just my opinion and I know stats disprove me.
>>
>>7476345
At least I can own a gun and openly dislike ragheads :^)
>>
>>7480081
>clappyfats lecturing people about education
Teaching science is literally illegal in many parts of clapistan. It offends the religious maniacs who control most parts of the country except new york and san francisco.
>>
File: 2irritant.jpg (22 KB, 265x300) Image search: [Google]
2irritant.jpg
22 KB, 265x300
>>7480201
I'm a British gun owner and also happen to openly dislike ragheads.
You on the other hand live in the land of liberals and mandatory trigger warnings.
Oh, and your president is black.
:^)
>>
>>7480347
Well memed, Yurofriend!
>>
>>7480362
Have fun with your beak-action shotgun. I'm going to go take a bath in my 30-round magazines.
>>
>>7476345
US could use that. Kind of dickish from a citizen's perspective, but necessary given our atrocious health.
>>
the tax should apply to milk with enough added sugar and fruit juice too but not smoothies.
also many folks will switch to artificial sweeteners. sowhat about taxing artificial sweeteners that are known health risk?

also what does it work out to, an extra 0.15US$/can soda or something? how much is an extra 0.50US$/day going to discourage folks that guzzle soft drinks? Is that really going to discourage folks from consuming sodas in a modern welfare state?
>>
>>7480445
>30 round mag capacity shitty AR clone
>getting whacked with 1 round of Lapua .338 from 2km away
Come visit England sometime.
>>
>>7480485

No thanks Ahmed
>>
>>7480471
>the tax should apply to milk with enough added sugar and fruit juice too but not smoothies.
The UK tax only applies to products with added sugar. Natural fruit and vegetable juice aren't included.
>>
File: 094905_laff.jpg (17 KB, 265x300) Image search: [Google]
094905_laff.jpg
17 KB, 265x300
>>7480501
Probably a good thing since you don't actually own a passport.
>>
wont make a difference

fat useless fucks will find the money somehow
>>
>>7480512

>this is what goes for banter in england

Literally the worst insult I've ever seen on here
>>
>>7480485
The thing about America is that we can have that too
>>
>>7479352

Education is a long-term solution but measures like these can help minimize damage sustained in the shorter-term.

Also it sounds negligibly small to make the folks afdictes to junk food stop, or even discourage anfolks ptherwise healthy person from buyingthe an occasional soda. it should be like 5X as much if by itself it's going to make a dent in public health.
unfortunately if it were large enough to matter it woyld be to controversial for many folks.
>>
>>7480521
I get that but why would you need an assault rifle?
>>
>>7480471
Source for artificial sweeteners being a known health risk?
>>
>>7480526
Source: Random internet people.

Very reliable source, imo.
>>
>>7480523
It's not called the bill of needs. And assault rifles (rifles capable of automatic fire chambered in an intermediate caliber) manufactured after 78 are still illegal. Any manufactured before require an expensive tax stamps, registry with the federal government, and often will come with a five figure price tag
>>
Hooray nanny state! Bad decisions are a federal issue!
>>
I'll just switch to diet coke :3
>>
>>7476345
that can pay for all the cameras on every corner!
>>
>>7476634
>Dailymail
>>
>>7482346

Switch to zero instead.
>>
>>7482170
>bad decisions
It wouldn't be such a bad decision if we made it a matter of international law

Jackbooted UN blue helmets rounding up you fat fucks and trashfood lovers. Now that's something I'd love to see. Purge the filth, improve the species.
>>
>>7476345
America when

Probably when our healthcare system finally fucking buckles.
>>
>>7479907
>Implying a 20 pack of Malboro Menthols isn't already £9.50

Booze isn't THAT expensive, but its hardly cheap
>>
>>7476345
I don't drink pop other than as a mixer so it's going to be annoying that the limited few times that I will have a drink I'm going to be charged a bit more for it.
>>
>>7483014
In supermarkets it's fine but pubs have extra tax to pay on top.
Guinness is £3.05 in the Wetherspoons in town
>>
>>7483023
Yeah its about £3.65 in Wiltshire but in London I once paid £6.50 for a pint of cider.
>>
>>7483051
Christ that's a lot. Smaller pubs tend to be alright in Shrewsbury but fuck the clubs same as anywhere else.
Doombar and Mad goose are my go-tos
Rosy apple was vile
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.