[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /ck/. So it turns out I have high blood pressure, it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: nppahug.gif (55 KB, 678x422) Image search: [Google]
nppahug.gif
55 KB, 678x422
Sup /ck/. So it turns out I have high blood pressure, it's nothing too extreme and I've only been advised to cut back on the sodium. I need recipes, meal ideas, anything at all. I'm taking this opportunity to eat healthier without bullshit once and for all
>>
>>7476176
Just don't eat heavily processed foods, stay away from commercial lunch meat, control your salt content when cooking, switch to something like lite salt. Drink more water, if you drink soda limit it or try to stop drinking it. You'll be on your way.
>>
>>7476182
Thanks. I've had soda cut from a diet for a while now so I got that handled. I assume it's okay to use spices and herbs instead of seasonings or even lite seasonings right?
>>
>>7476189
Yes, most herbal/spice blend seasonings are fine. Salt based seasonings, like BBQ salt, etc., you should probably avoid, but a little won't kill you either.
>>
How high is your sodium intake and what are your primary sources of sodium?
>>
>>7476207
Before I didn't pay attention, I'm guessing it was way over 3000mg daily. I regularly ate deli style meats and Chinese (lots of soy sauce)

>>7476206
Got it. Thanks once again
>>
>>7476176

Read this book:

https://kat.cr/how-not-to-die-discover-the-foods-scientifically-proven-to-prevent-and-reverse-disease-epub-pdf-t11994618.html
>>
>>7476257
Few pages in. It's pretty good, thanks for sharing
>>
>>7476176
I prepare food for my mum who has high blood pressure

just home cooking everything from scratch and completely excluding all added salt works very, very well. Your palette changes to get used to low-salt in a couple of weeks, and you still get some salt from certain meats anyway.

The difference in the quality of the food you'll be making for yourself will actually be an improvement as well, I'm glad I got spurred into home cooking everything, it made me enjoy eating a fine meal every evening.
>>
>>7476176
Take a trip to your local natural foods store and get some hibiscus. Make tea with it and consume regularly. Hibiscus tea reduces bp temporarily so the effect disappears some days after you stop drinking it. However it will help while you're waiting for an effect from diet and lifestyle changes.
>>
>>7476368
That stuff really does work. But chase it with water so it doesn't erode your teeth as much.
>>
>>7476182
You should drink less water with high blood pressure, not more. Drinking lots of water puts more stress on the kidneys.
>>
>>7476176
Take this as an opportunity to work on your cholesterol too
>>
>>7476176
Cut salt in general. Replace soda with sparkling water. If you smoke, stop. Cut down on your drinking and once a day go for a 30 minute walk if you don't work out.

Replace the salt with fresh herbs and lots of aromatics. Work out.
>>
>>7476458
>You should drink less water with high blood pressure, not more. Drinking lots of water puts more stress on the kidneys.

Do you have a single fact to back that up? If you have heart failure, kidney disease or hypervolemia (which is not going to occur from drinking a couple extra glasses of water a day), then by all means you should be on a fluid restriction. Not with essential hypertension, though. I've never heard of such a thing.
>>
>>7476927
http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu:8080/reporter/index.html?ID=9047
>>
>>7476970
It's an interesting article but it does not advise people with essential hypertension to place themselves on fluid restrictions. If anything, it would be saying a hypertensive person should be drinking saline. People with essential hypertension are generally not mice, nor people with low pressure nor is failure of baroreflexes part of their condition.

>McHugh said she found it fascinating that mice and humans share “such a primitive system, and yet we don't know why it's there or what beneficial effects it might have.”
>>
go whole foods, plant based vegan holmes
>>
>>7476891
Solid advice
>>
>>7476176
Eat more potassium. Potatoes and bananas are good, just make sure you don't get fat
>>
>>7476176
>tfw you will never eat a chemical burger
>>
you probably need to lose weight. cutting salt won't do much, your heart needs salt to work!
>>
>>7476176
Wasn't it recently discovered that sodium doesn't really affect blood pressure at measurable levels? Anyway stay off coffee, stop being fat, get 8 hours of sleep each day, exercise daily and remove stressful things from your daily life. That will help a majority of people with high blood pressure.
>>
>>7477954
The engineered snacks industry likes to misrepresent data by comparing too much salt to way too much salt. The effect of salt on blood is logarithmic.
>>
>>7476970
>>7476458
Fluid retention can be a problem with people who have serious heart problems and blood pressure problems.

A regular person with high blood pressure doesnt fall into that category.
Thing like congestive heart failure, which often piggyback long term hypertension, need to stop water intake.
>>
>>7477948
I'm about 7-8 pounds overweight, so there's not much to do in that area since I can lose that in a snap. As for salt, I'm just making sure I don't go over the daily limit
>>
>>7476176
Switch to msg
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.